User Tag List

First 1523242526 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

as far as i know it didn't go off.

he just propped open the door and went out to his car to get his guns...so crazy.
    and def not okay imo. all of those exits should have an alarm

and the entrances should have metal detectors
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Metal detectors is a bit much.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Metal detectors is a bit much.
    I was thinking, "wow, does this mean the TSA is going to take over the cinema experience now?"

Frisking, metal detectors, naked-people viewers, movies getting shut down when someone jumps the line, racial profiling, strip-searching six year olds?

Don't let the terrorists win.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

I believe the lawsuit is based on the fact that the emergency exit was not equipped with an alarm and/or not guarded. I'm not a lawyer, but I think it's probably enough grounds for a lawsuit, but it probably depends on whether most theaters have a more secure emergency exit or not.

As far as the question of whether more or less people would die if theatergoers were armed, I think it could have gone either way depending on the training and judgment of the armed patrons. More importantly, I think the point would be not that less people would have died, but that the idea of armed patrons would dissuade most criminals from attempting this in the first place.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

From what I've read on the internets recently, it's standard for movie theatres that the alarm doesn't go off when the door is opened. I had NO idea that was the case before this. Never seen (or noticed, anyway) one opened.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    More importantly, I think the point would be not that less people would have died, but that the idea of armed patrons would dissuade most criminals from attempting this in the first place.
    I'm not sure that's true. It happened in a fairly gun-friendly state (from what I understand) in one of the most gun-friendly countries in the developed world, so the possibility already existed. Shouldn't that have been some deterrent already? Or are you referring to a hypothetical impossible case of everyone being armed and trained and the criminal being aware of that fact?

Is there less robbery/mugging in states with gun-friendly laws (i.e. so criminals would expect some people to be armed)? My guess would be no, although I have no idea.

The idea of civilians trying to shoot guns while being shot at by a man in black dressed in body armour and a gas mask, in a dark theatre, with people screaming and standing/running, with the panic and shock of the situation beginning seconds earlier, without time to collect your thoughts...absolutely horrifying. There's no doubt in my mind that if anyone even managed to draw their gun within seconds of the guy opening fire, there would have been far more deaths, not less. Possibly a police officer or soldier could have fired effectively, but I'm not sure they would even fire, given their understanding of the risks. Remember that some people were shot in the next theatre over by stray bullets coming through the walls...
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    From what I've read on the internets recently, it's standard for movie theatres that the alarm doesn't go off when the door is opened. I had NO idea that was the case before this. Never seen (or noticed, anyway) one opened.
    You think they would be monitoring it somehow, though, if only to prevent guys from smuggling their friends in through the side doors.

After all, money talks.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I was thinking, "wow, does this mean the TSA is going to take over the cinema experience now?"

Frisking, metal detectors, naked-people viewers, movies getting shut down when someone jumps the line, racial profiling, strip-searching six year olds?

Don't let the terrorists win.
    Placing strong security measures and guards at every location where a large number of people gather is both impractical and would be virtually impossible to implement.

Everyone seems upset about theatre security, but it isn't "theaters," it's just where ever there's a lot of people.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not sure that's true. It happened in a fairly gun-friendly state (from what I understand) in one of the most gun-friendly countries in the developed world, so the possibility already existed. Shouldn't that have been some deterrent already? Or are you referring to a hypothetical impossible case of everyone being armed and trained and the criminal being aware of that fact?

Is there less robbery/mugging in states with gun-friendly laws (i.e. so criminals would expect some people to be armed)? My guess would be no, although I have no idea.

The idea of civilians trying to shoot guns while being shot at by a man in black dressed in body armour and a gas mask, in a dark theatre, with people screaming and standing/running, with the panic and shock of the situation beginning seconds earlier, without time to collect your thoughts...absolutely horrifying. There's no doubt in my mind that if anyone even managed to draw their gun within seconds of the guy opening fire, there would have been far more deaths, not less. Possibly a police officer or soldier could have fired effectively, but I'm not sure they would even fire, given their understanding of the risks. Remember that some people were shot in the next theatre over by stray bullets coming through the walls...
    I didn't mean that in a realistic sense. I was just positing what I thought was the intent behind the not-very-realistic scenario of everyone being armed that a small percentage of gun enthusiasts advocated. I don't think any state in the union currently has gun laws lax enough for that deterrent to exist.

Although after having thought about it more, I'm almost certain that the scenario would have resulted in less deaths and less injuries. Someone would have gotten the guy fairly quickly, probably someone in the front of the theater without an obstructed view. I also think most people, armed or not, would have hidden or tried to run away rather than expose themselves in the manner you'd have to in order to shoot. It's actually pretty hard to shoot a gun accurately in less than optimal conditions, and these people, all owning guns, would know that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Although after having thought about it more, I'm almost certain that the scenario would have resulted in less deaths and less injuries. Someone would have gotten the guy fairly quickly, probably someone in the front of the theater without an obstructed view. I also think most people, armed or not, would have hidden or tried to run away rather than expose themselves in the manner you'd have to in order to shoot. It's actually pretty hard to shoot a gun accurately in less than optimal conditions, and these people, all owning guns, would know that.
    Well, either most people are smart enough not to shoot in that confusion and we're back to no effect (or worse, no bullets hit the shooter and some hit more innocent people), or enough people shoot at the guy that a lucky shot gets him (because yes, it's hard-to-impossible to shoot accurately in those conditions) and the many bullets that don't hit him go....elsewhere. Can't have it both ways. He was also wearing gear ensuring that it would very be difficult to shoot him, and by the time even the best human reflexes could get off a shot in return (let alone the number it would take for a lucky one to get him), he would have shot many of the victims already.
    -end of thread-