User Tag List

First 132122232425 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I watched some news coverage on it briefly. I had to turn it off for good because the journalists are just relentless in their attempts to sensationalize it. Anyways, I saw the mayor speak and he called the killer, I believe, "an abomination against nature". That irked me for some reason. Thoughts?
    It does sound a bit ridiculous, perhaps what's irksome about it is that they think its necessary to carry on like that to attract attention and hits or headlines, the crime itself is shocking enough but the networks will via in one way or another.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by 5231311252 View Post
    That's dramatic. An "abomination agaisnt nature" would be dropping atomic bombs on civilians because of a stubborn government. Or the heaps of trash out in the middle of the Pacific ocean.
    I don't know. I feel a little guilty like people will think I'm defending this guy, which I'm not, but I think humans are incredibly fragile and susceptible to mental illness. I just look at this killer as a sick person, which is something very within human nature, not an abomination of it. Am I making sense?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I don't know. I feel a little guilty like people will think I'm defending this guy, which I'm not, but I think humans are incredibly fragile and susceptible to mental illness. I just look at this killer as a sick person, which is something very within human nature, not an abomination of it. Am I making sense?
    Yes. These dumb asses seem to think that nature doesn't kill, maim and destroy. That's what irks me about the comment.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Socionics
    LII

I don't look at him as a sick person, but I haven't really formed an opinion about him because I have very little information about him. I was just pointing out how dramatic that comment was and I do think people like the one who made the comment are capitalizing off the situation ("sensationalizing" you called it?).
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”

WALMART

I posted the link on my facebook with a comment "And the world turns..."

Someone got butthurt about it. They took it as if I didn't care about the ones that hurt, but in reality it was commentary on the human condition. The world turns, people kill.

MBTI
    XXFP

hearing this news made me deeply upset.

i support the concept of *trained* citizen responders. militias even - not groups that are made up a nutjobs, but individuals who much like those who are not full time emt's but are trained in emergency medicine you could have citizen corps who are on friendly terms with local law enforcement and are trained to assess situations, negotiate and deal with common criminals/unstable persons calmly, and are given intelligent training, with emphasis on safety, an understanding of their limitations, but also recognition that the police can't be everywhere so having more common citizens out there with the right tools and training can in many situations make a huge difference in outcomes.

even then, i don't think this situation would have turned out much different if you had some citiizen responders out there, but it's hard to say.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    i guess the killer was in some phd program but he withdrew. wonder what his grades were. did things start getting intense for him that he suffered a mental break down and experienced psychosis? did he believe that everyone was mocking him?

he kinda died in the massacre as well, he had potential.
    I read a news article that said he was or at least had been an honors student. A smart dude that lost his mind.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Maybe we should be more interested in the victims, who deserved better.
    Learning more about the victims may provide some emotional satisfaction, but learning about the culprit will be more useful in preventing such occurrences in future.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Learning more about the victims may provide some emotional satisfaction, but learning about the culprit will be more useful in preventing such occurrences in future.
    As if that has ever really prevented these things from occurring? How many times do we go through this same exact cycle?

In any case, I think you take a few days to mourn your dead and THEN start studying the perpetrator. You do both, but you give everyone a little time to work through the loss first. It's not like things with the perpetrator will change in a few days.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    As if that has ever really prevented these things from occurring? How many times do we go through this same exact cycle?

In any case, I think you take a few days to mourn your dead and THEN start studying the perpetrator. You do both, but you give everyone a little time to work through the loss first. It's not like things with the perpetrator will change in a few days.
    It is very hard to prove a negative. I suppose we will never know how many shootings, bombings, or other acts of violence have been prevented by what we have learned about the perpetrators. We will probably never eliminate such events, but we can certainly reduce both the frequency and the severity.

Yes, the victims friends/relatives and the community should have time to mourn their dead -- but they are their dead. I would mourn my dead as well, but as tragic as this event is, I don't see why I personally should care more about these victims than those countless others the world over who lose their lives in equally senseless and tragic circumstances. As a relatively uninvolved spectator, my energy would be better spent on improving something within my ability to influence.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...