MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    lol.

Well, I guess it helps if you start with one [a faith in god]...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Really? How can you know this? Events like this just fuel an irrational distrust of introverted people who keep to themselves, aren't overly social, and don't do what everyone else does. Alot of innocent, harmless people will come under unnecessary scrutiny using that yardstick.

The media coverage I heard to day was hyperbolic and sensational. So much for "who, what, where, when, why, how?" being the foundation of journalism. If the culprit wasn't what we typically considered a terrorist, the media were definitely focusing on the terror, the emotional response, how on earth will the people cope? One woman interviewed finally told it like it is: she will no doubt think about it alot over the next days, but she has family, friends, community, and will be fine.
    Yes, I think the media is to blame. I think this country is saturated in sensationalism of the worst kind, the news now is almost like watching a horror movie, as opposed to what it was like in my childhood, which was very serious and formal, and seemed intellectual and under control. Now the news is dominated by drama.

Also I think some lingering Cold War propaganda mentality is what is so responsible for Americans being irrationally terrified of the government, again it's the media, it's propaganda, which is why it's better to get news in written form, and from varying sources, as well as being aware what is going on in other countries.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    I disagree, in this specific instance. This was a loud, crowded theater where everyone was completely engrossed in the movie. I didn't hear a single report of anyone trying to grab this guy and pummel him, which does occasionally happen in shootings.
    What part of kills 12, injures 59 did you not understand?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Cultural differences are critical here. If you're in favor of gun control, and you're from the Northern cities or the West Coast, there's really no point in discussing the issue with someone from the South or West who is in favor of fewer restrictions, and vice versa. The two of y'all would be coming from such different places on the issue that there would be little to no space to create common ground.
    Untrue, I'm just as Southern as some of these people, and where I come from, most people own guns like the Canadians - rifles for hunting and protecting one's home.

I'm in favor of moderate gun control rather than full gun control. My relatives were sensible and sane, kept their guns in locked racks, and I was trained to respect guns before I hit puberty.

If anything, intelligent Southerners have a better grasp on gun responsibility, because it's more about practicality and tradition versus being "cool." I think being "cool" is more of a problem in the West, for example, where people aren't teaching their children to respect guns, and hand guns are more of a problem.

On the other hand you do have those wacko Southerners who are building stockpiles of automatic weapons in their basements, but I have no idea what to do with them, that has nothing to do with Southern tradition, it seems more and more fueled by media propaganda and irrational paranoia.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Let's guess his type!
    Severe paranoid schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Severe paranoid schizophrenic.
    ISFP then?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    @Siren ,

Well I will tell you what I was getting at. I read your (rightly undeveloped) opinion that it is easier to stab somebody than to shoot somebody in the context of mass murder. Now, having never fired a gun and only playing with knives, I have an inkling you have not invested much thought into notion of battle.
    I never said I hadn't ever fired a gun. I said I wasn't good at it.

And as for the rest, I could just agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    omg no are you crazy why did you choose that over 5w6 spsosx?
    Bcuz he took bunches of precautions in his planz. Troubleshooter. I'm horrible.

Now that I think about it, spso fits bettar.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    I think the whole news sensational thing is sick. I don't hardly read any of it, to not give it attention.

I'm just naturally curious about what makes someone go on a mass murdering rampage. I don't think the origins of that are ever given enough attention. As if psychopaths just occur randomly.
    It seems to require just the right ingredients to create a murdering rampage. This guy was rejected from one of Arizona's leading Universities and lived alone. I'm willing to bet that living a solitary existence cultivates more personal difficulties than broken dreams, since new dreams are more easily forged in the company of others. It's hard to say, though. I think I would be more satisfied having a biography or autobiography of the guy.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    It seems to require just the right ingredients to create a murdering rampage. This guy was rejected from one of Arizona's leading Universities and lived alone. I'm willing to bet that living a solitary existence cultivates more personal difficulties than broken dreams, since new dreams are more easily forged in the company of others. It's hard to say, though. I think I would be more satisfied having a biography or autobiography of the guy.
    That I'd agree with, you also get a lot more reality checks in company than you do with only yourself and internal monologue/dialogue for confirmation of your suspiscions and thoughts.