User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That I agree with and it is a big part of what I thought about the last film and heath ledgers performance was that the Joker was centre piece, even the ultimate scenes which were meant to , I felt, reduce his stature to a neurotic or rather borderline case failed. Although there's something wrong with the society that sees that as inspirational
    I must reiterate: any sensible person is not going to go off the deep end because Heath Ledger was good at playing a role. It's a universally acclaimed performance.

I think Alex DeLarge as played by Malcolm MacDowell in Clockwork Orange is a spectacular feat. But I even if I tried (which I have no compulsion to do, and would hate myself for attempting) I could not bring myself to do the things he does. There's a flaw that exists in people far greater than any one stupid movie. Maybe one movie made them realize that flaw, but I don't see how it could have created it.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Let's guess his type!

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    Let's guess his type!
    intp?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

The whole 'think of the children' lampoon, I've begun to think its not valid or even that funny, the reality is that unlike the supposed mindset that pop libertarian line seeks to satirise people are very seldom thinking of the children and, infact, a lot of adults increasingly resemble children anyway. I actually think its what makes things like these spree killings or the choices of context in which spree killers go on the rampage possible.
    I dunno, it depends how often you hear the line.

But I honestly dont care that much, im not really sure what your point is and how you managed to tie it back to what happened.

We could of course start a second topic on the validity of various idiom's and sayings, I could throw them out and you could give me paragraphs on why they are wrong or at least invalid and therefore should not be said.

And in reality it wasn't really meant to be that funny, I never found it funny in the early 90's when Helen Lovejoy said it on the simpsons, (and I bet someone else popularised it far before then of course), if anything it reflects the sad circus that surrounds such things, whether people are quite literally thinking of children or not.

In any case the only real difference between adults and children, apart from physical and biological aspects, is that adults believe that being an adult somehow makes them more responsible or mature, whatever the hell those words happen to mean anyhow these days.

But cheers for engaging me in a pointedly none-point of a point.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    intp?
    Wrong.
    NTs don't do illogical things,
    NFs & SFs don't kill people because that's mean,
    SJs always follow the rules.
    Conclusion: XSTP.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I dunno, it depends how often you hear the line.
    I thought it was funny maybe the first time I'd heard it years ago on the Simpsons but a lot of the anti-paternalism quips and quotes just bug me now, a lot of what's attacked as nanny state/society now isnt even.

Epiphany

If the media would stop giving so much publicity to these self-loathing attention seekers, it would probably do more to prevent such crimes in the future than stricter gun-control laws. Keep their names and faces anonymous and deny them the notoriety they're trying to achieve. All of a sudden, this obscure psycho has attained virtual celebrity status overnight; his face displayed on every newspaper and broadcast in the country and now his name is synonymous with a blockbuster movie that many have been anticipating for years. Everyone wants to know who this person is, what caused him to behave that way, what are his interests, what kind of music/movies/videogames does he enjoy? The media creates an incentive for copycats to commit these types of massacres by feeding their empty egos with the public attention they crave.

I thought it was funny maybe the first time I'd heard it years ago on the Simpsons but a lot of the anti-paternalism quips and quotes just bug me now, a lot of what's attacked as nanny state/society now isnt even.
    I dont see it as being anti-paternalism though. So much so as anti-those who would pretend to be more outraged than they really are because it is seen as required of them....and thus they use such an event as an excuse to bleat their fatuous and opinionated arguments against whatever medium or activity they believe these tragedies stem from...in the process making a mockery of those who have lost their lives.

A nanny state doesnt even come into my perception of it's meaning, mainly since these people arent so much 'nanny staters' as they are selfish, single-minded pricks, intent on using these events for their own personal hangups.

Some amongst them might have what they see as real concern, but in most cases it is a false front.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

- A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by yakimadude View Post
    intp?
    Geez, seems like every time someone goes on a gun rampage INTP is the first guess. The Gabrielle Giffords guy, the Norway shooter, this guy...
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Geez, seems like every time someone goes on a gun rampage INTP is the first guess. The Gabrielle Giffords guy, the Norway shooter, this guy...
    INTP's are an angry murderous lot, I blame society.

- A.A. Milne.