User Tag List

First 71516171819 Last

Results 161 to 170 of 260

  1. #161
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    Knife control, huh? Even less likely than gun control.

  2. #162
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    163

    Default

    @ Coriolis

    My post was regarding the video clip posted by a member, not regarding the todays tragedy... You have a point though..

  3. #163
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Yes, this is true, but I was not making an argument that a gun is deadlier than an IED.

    If someone is arguing that a dog is bigger than a mouse, claiming that an elephant is larger than either doesn't make the original point false.
    Apologies if this has been covered, but I just got back from a baseball game, and I'm not reading all these posts...

    I'm not immune to the rules of logic, so, obviously, what you say is true, but, it still doesn't make your point not moot.

    Fine, a gun is more dangerous than a knife, but thinking that "eliminating" guns from society will fix things is plain false.

  4. #164
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    p.s. there was a 20-30 second moment of silence at the game.

    it was well-observed, and both a beautiful and somber moment.

    God Bless America

  5. #165
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    Patricide and the Right to Bear Arms

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with Americans, but I've actually met people from the former Soviet Union who are less paranoid of our government.

    There's no basis for it, it's patently absurd, people in this country are so free...and yet they are more convinced that the government is going to get them than people who actually grew up under Soviet rule?
    American paranoia is easy to understand. For in 1776 they had a successful bourgeois war against lawful authority. In psychlogical terms, they committed national patricide.

    Naturally they feel guilty for having symbolically killed their father, the King, and fear retribution.

    But most of all they fear a successful revolution will be made against the bourgeoise by the people, just as they made a successful revolution against their symbolic father, the King.

    And so they will remain forever fearful, paranoid, and armed to the teeth, afraid of their father, and afraid of their brothers.

  6. #166

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    :c proof that cracked.com's theory that batman can't exist because hes too dangerous for society is true.
    Because the society we live in produces people who identify more readily wirh chaotic and psychologically deranged villains than crimefighters whose goals are near perfect physical and mental self-mastery. why? Because the fear of freedom and the fail of failure have become normative.

    Instead the post-modern trendy theorists prefer to trash heroes as part of the problem instead of being a contribution to a solution. curse the darkness, dont strike a light.

  7. #167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    American paranoia is easy to understand. For in 1776 they had a successful bourgeois war against lawful authority. In psychlogical terms, they committed national patricide.

    Naturally they feel guilty for having symbolically killed their father, the King, and fear retribution.

    But most of all they fear a successful revolution will be made against the bourgeoise by the people, just as they made a successful revolution against their symbolic father, the King.

    And so they will remain forever fearful, paranoid, and armed to the teeth, afraid of their father, and afraid of their brothers.
    You're on a real freudian trip at the minute Vic arent you?

    Its great to see how you channel all information with the use of whatever theoretical filter you've hit on lately, I've never really known anyone to do that before, in such an obvious way.

  8. #168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Waits for the inevitable series of discussions on whether or not Batman is bad for society because he influences and encourages vigilantism.

    OH WONT SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

    But yeah that's tragic, im actually annoyed and upset, I love the idea of midnight showings and this will probably stick in my mind now, maybe it wont stop me, but it will make me think of those who got killed. Perhaps not a bad thing though.

    Oh yeah dont forget the also inevitable discussion on gun laws.....
    The whole 'think of the children' lampoon, I've begun to think its not valid or even that funny, the reality is that unlike the supposed mindset that pop libertarian line seeks to satirise people are very seldom thinking of the children and, infact, a lot of adults increasingly resemble children anyway. I actually think its what makes things like these spree killings or the choices of context in which spree killers go on the rampage possible.

  9. #169
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Apologies if this has been covered, but I just got back from a baseball game, and I'm not reading all these posts...

    I'm not immune to the rules of logic, so, obviously, what you say is true, but, it still doesn't make your point not moot.

    Fine, a gun is more dangerous than a knife, but thinking that "eliminating" guns from society will fix things is plain false.
    Well, the simple idea of "eliminating" guns from society is neither going to happen nor something I'm certain I favor (though it is worth noting that the construction of a functional bomb can be very difficult and sales of bomb ingredients in semi-large quantities are monitored by the government. At the very least, I think a successful IED attack requires a semi-intelligent planner, less so a mass shooting).

    Regardless, my point was less a larger social commentary and more a rebuttal for a more specific statement.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

  10. #170

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Joker was an inspiration for this.. crazy attracts crazy. This is terrible.
    That I agree with and it is a big part of what I thought about the last film and heath ledgers performance was that the Joker was centre piece, even the ultimate scenes which were meant to , I felt, reduce his stature to a neurotic or rather borderline case failed. Although there's something wrong with the society that sees that as inspirational

Similar Threads

  1. Men of the Forum... Please have a look at this article
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Why do some type forums have the two middle letters but this one has second and last?
    By mooseantlers in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Would you want to know the date of your death?
    By Such Irony in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 04:09 AM
  4. Liberal politics have taken this country to the ground.
    By Kangol in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO