Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    Is it harder to stab him in the back or shoot him in the back?
    You have to stab people at closer range. It takes time and effort. You can't kill as many before someone grabs your ass and pummels you.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You have to stab people at closer range. It takes time and effort. You can't kill as many before someone grabs your ass and pummels you.
    I disagree, in this specific instance. This was a loud, crowded theater where everyone was completely engrossed in the movie. I didn't hear a single report of anyone trying to grab this guy and pummel him, which does occasionally happen in shootings.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Cultural differences are critical here. If you're in favor of gun control, and you're from the Northern cities or the West Coast, there's really no point in discussing the issue with someone from the South or West who is in favor of fewer restrictions, and vice versa. The two of y'all would be coming from such different places on the issue that there would be little to no space to create common ground.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    I disagree, in this specific instance. This was a loud, crowded theater where everyone was completely engrossed in the movie. I didn't hear a single report of anyone trying to grab this guy and pummel him, which does occasionally happen in shootings.

What are you getting at?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What are you getting at?
    I don't understand the question. I think this is fairly clear in the context of my earlier posts?

Edit: I just saw your signature. Typical.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Joker was an inspiration for this.. crazy attracts crazy. This is terrible.
    He did claim to be the Joker when he was caught.

None the less, I say we can't punish those who haven't done wrong just because someone gets whacked out occasionally. Doing so invariably creates double standards.

People fear the random element that they can't control and keep seeking ways to mitigate it, but you have to give it up at some point, otherwise it gets to where we try to look at the mind and genetics and all that, and try to find out what makes people do what they do, and then we want to do stuff like identify the patterns that causes someone to go off like this and preemptively take them out of society before it happens, which is absurd IMO.

ReflecTcelfeR

It's the ugly underpinnings of a changing world.

So our social contracts change with our personal rights.

I am not advocating for their actions, and it is distressing that we are changing in such a way, but every change has its consequence.

Figuring out what change has allowed for this kind of event to occur is the tricky part. THE PEOPLE WISH TO BE REMEMBERED!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Virginia Tech? There's more to come, give it time.
    By school shootings, I meant K-12. Though even taking VA Tech into account school shootings are down compared to the 90s.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    More similar to Canada, which still has high gun ownership in world numbers, particular in terms of hunting rifles but where concealed handgun permits are almost never permitted, and common citizens don't have access to automatic weapons.
    People with concealed carry permits are less likely to commit murder with a gun than the rest of the population.

Edit: I don't necessarily disagree about automatic weapons, but I'm reluctant to mess with the 2nd Amendment; there's too much of a risk that alterations would go too far in the other direction.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Darya View Post
    I would think there are more than one point, the guy was clearly sufffering from extremely low self etsteem and possibly other MH issues.... It does not mean that the gun law in this country does not facilate those freaks to access to fire arms to take revenage against the rest of the society ??
    Really? How can you know this? Events like this just fuel an irrational distrust of introverted people who keep to themselves, aren't overly social, and don't do what everyone else does. Alot of innocent, harmless people will come under unnecessary scrutiny using that yardstick.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I do think media coverage of events like this can inspire people to act on their already existing impulses in the same fashion, &/or incite them to up the ante, definitely. Plenty of fresh material to feed fixations in a sick mind.
    The media coverage I heard to day was hyperbolic and sensational. So much for "who, what, where, when, why, how?" being the foundation of journalism. If the culprit wasn't what we typically considered a terrorist, the media were definitely focusing on the terror, the emotional response, how on earth will the people cope? One woman interviewed finally told it like it is: she will no doubt think about it alot over the next days, but she has family, friends, community, and will be fine.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...