User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

Results 131 to 140 of 260

  1. #131
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Speaking of knives, that would be pretty awesome if banning guns brought back knife, axe, and sword combat. That's one positive I see from it.

    Unfortunately, banning guns wouldn't do that. They'd still be around. And in my experience, every person I knew who had used a gun with the intent to murder (or did murder) never bought their guns legally. And most were under 21 at the time to boot. They were all gangsters. And they didn't find 'daddy's pistol" in the closet. These were guns on the street. I could have bought them too, if I wanted to.
    This is true. However, is gun laws were tightened, then the availability of even illegal guns would go down, as I imagine most illegal guns originated from legal sources.

  2. #132
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    As I said, within 21 feet of each other, the person with the knife has the distinct advantage over the person with the gun. Therefore, within 21 feet, the knife is deadlier than the gun, in most cases.
    Actually your original statement which started this back and forth was:

    "If someone wants to be a mass murderer then taking away his gun won't stop him. It's actually easier to kill people with a knife."

    You're implying that without the gun he could have done as much damage with a knife, which is not true.

  3. #133
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    This is true. However, is gun laws were tightened, then the availability of even illegal guns would go down, as I imagine most illegal guns originated from legal sources.
    How would you propose to tighten them, out of curiosity?

  4. #134
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    How would you propose to tighten them, out of curiosity?
    That's not my area of specialty, and I am not so bold as to propose something that I have not first done adequate research on. I was merely stating that it seems to me that if the government instituted effective gun restrictions, the supply of guns to illegal markets would be affected.

  5. #135
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    How would you propose to tighten them, out of curiosity?
    More similar to Canada, which still has high gun ownership in world numbers, particular in terms of hunting rifles but where concealed handgun permits are almost never permitted, and common citizens don't have access to automatic weapons.

    Only 30% of murders are committed with firearms in Canada, versus 70% in the U.S.

    While our murder numbers have shrank, their total numbers of murders (even without guns) each year in percentage is still less than half of ours.

  6. #136
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That's not my area of specialty, and I am not so bold as to propose something that I have not first done adequate research on. I was merely stating that it seems to me that if the government instituted effective gun restrictions, the supply of guns to illegal markets would be affected.
    I'm sorry, I'm not trolling but you are making a bold statement. If you don't know what restrictions there already are on the books, then you cannot possibly know if more restrictions would help or not. Truth be told there are already tons of restrictions and not one of them, from what I know about this shooting at this moment, would have prevented this person from getting a gun.

  7. #137
    royal member Rasofy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    5,932

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Or swallowing.



    teehee.
    Relevant info.

  8. #138
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    More similar to Canada, which still has high gun ownership in world numbers, particular in terms of hunting rifles but where concealed handgun permits are almost never permitted, and common citizens don't have access to automatic weapons.

    Only 30% of murders are committed with firearms in Canada, versus 70% in the U.S.
    Strangely, the only murder I've ever seen personally was in Vancouver.

    Even more strangely, there was a woman in this Aurora shooting who happened to be at a mall shooting in Toronto in June. She had reported that she got a "Feeling" to leave before it actually happened. Lo and behold, she's thrust into another mass shooting miles away. She died this time.

  9. #139
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    I'm sorry, I'm not trolling but you are making a bold statement. If you don't know what restrictions there already are on the books, then you cannot possibly know if more restrictions would help or not. Truth be told there are already tons of restrictions and not one of them, from what I know about this shooting at this moment, would have prevented this person from getting a gun.
    That's not my area of specialty, and I am not so bold as to propose something that I have not first done adequate research on. I was merely stating that it seems to me that if the government instituted effective gun restrictions, the supply of guns to illegal markets would be affected.
    That is the extent of my claim.

  10. #140
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    If someone wants to be a mass murderer then taking away his gun won't stop him. It's actually easier to kill people with a knife.

    You can make a homemade bomb very easily. Think how many people he could have killed with that. Perhaps we should be glad he had a gun.
    The "guns don't kill people, people kill people" schtick is simplistic, and frankly, pretty retarded. It's simply easier for people to kill with guns. You could have murderous tendencies, but be kind of an anxious cowardly asshat.

    It's much harder to walk up and stab a two year old than to do a drive-by shooting.

Similar Threads

  1. Men of the Forum... Please have a look at this article
    By DiscoBiscuit in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 09:03 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Why do some type forums have the two middle letters but this one has second and last?
    By mooseantlers in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-07-2012, 03:02 PM
  3. Would you want to know the date of your death?
    By Such Irony in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 08-27-2010, 04:09 AM
  4. Liberal politics have taken this country to the ground.
    By Kangol in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 11:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO