User Tag List

First 4121314151624 Last

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Speaking of knives, that would be pretty awesome if banning guns brought back knife, axe, and sword combat. That's one positive I see from it.

Unfortunately, banning guns wouldn't do that. They'd still be around. And in my experience, every person I knew who had used a gun with the intent to murder (or did murder) never bought their guns legally. And most were under 21 at the time to boot. They were all gangsters. And they didn't find 'daddy's pistol" in the closet. These were guns on the street. I could have bought them too, if I wanted to.
    This is true. However, is gun laws were tightened, then the availability of even illegal guns would go down, as I imagine most illegal guns originated from legal sources.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Siren View Post
    As I said, within 21 feet of each other, the person with the knife has the distinct advantage over the person with the gun. Therefore, within 21 feet, the knife is deadlier than the gun, in most cases.
    Actually your original statement which started this back and forth was:

"If someone wants to be a mass murderer then taking away his gun won't stop him. It's actually easier to kill people with a knife."

You're implying that without the gun he could have done as much damage with a knife, which is not true.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    This is true. However, is gun laws were tightened, then the availability of even illegal guns would go down, as I imagine most illegal guns originated from legal sources.
    How would you propose to tighten them, out of curiosity?

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

That's not my area of specialty, and I am not so bold as to propose something that I have not first done adequate research on. I was merely stating that it seems to me that if the government instituted effective gun restrictions, the supply of guns to illegal markets would be affected.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

More similar to Canada, which still has high gun ownership in world numbers, particular in terms of hunting rifles but where concealed handgun permits are almost never permitted, and common citizens don't have access to automatic weapons.

Only 30% of murders are committed with firearms in Canada, versus 70% in the U.S.

While our murder numbers have shrank, their total numbers of murders (even without guns) each year in percentage is still less than half of ours.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    That's not my area of specialty, and I am not so bold as to propose something that I have not first done adequate research on. I was merely stating that it seems to me that if the government instituted effective gun restrictions, the supply of guns to illegal markets would be affected.
    I'm sorry, I'm not trolling but you are making a bold statement. If you don't know what restrictions there already are on the books, then you cannot possibly know if more restrictions would help or not. Truth be told there are already tons of restrictions and not one of them, from what I know about this shooting at this moment, would have prevented this person from getting a gun.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by AphroditeGoneAwry View Post
    Or swallowing.

teehee.
    Relevant info.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    More similar to Canada, which still has high gun ownership in world numbers, particular in terms of hunting rifles but where concealed handgun permits are almost never permitted, and common citizens don't have access to automatic weapons.

Only 30% of murders are committed with firearms in Canada, versus 70% in the U.S.
    Strangely, the only murder I've ever seen personally was in Vancouver.

Even more strangely, there was a woman in this Aurora shooting who happened to be at a mall shooting in Toronto in June. She had reported that she got a "Feeling" to leave before it actually happened. Lo and behold, she's thrust into another mass shooting miles away. She died this time.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I'm sorry, I'm not trolling but you are making a bold statement. If you don't know what restrictions there already are on the books, then you cannot possibly know if more restrictions would help or not. Truth be told there are already tons of restrictions and not one of them, from what I know about this shooting at this moment, would have prevented this person from getting a gun.
    That is the extent of my claim.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

If someone wants to be a mass murderer then taking away his gun won't stop him. It's actually easier to kill people with a knife.

You can make a homemade bomb very easily. Think how many people he could have killed with that. Perhaps we should be glad he had a gun.
    The "guns don't kill people, people kill people" schtick is simplistic, and frankly, pretty retarded. It's simply easier for people to kill with guns. You could have murderous tendencies, but be kind of an anxious cowardly asshat.

It's much harder to walk up and stab a two year old than to do a drive-by shooting.