User Tag List

First 12

Thread: Bane-Bain

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Not, but those that speak to the quality of analogies - in a PM, perhaps.
    The pm is not necessary as I don't plan to go on and on about this. The fact that the bible speaks to analogies is deductive because the bible speaks to truth and truth is present in analogies. The quality of the analogy is dependent on the degree of truth that is present and communicated. Obviously it is a matter of more or less truthful and not true or false, because of the nature of analogies. Thus your analogy is not false, but merely worst than another.

I'm not defending Rush. I just wanted to let everyone know that Rush's comments didn't come completely out of nowhere. A democrat claimed the narrative, and Rush claimed it was more than just a narrative.

Actually the more I think about it, Nic, you shouldn't be offended by the fact that I think your analogy is worst than Lehane's.

Lehane's statement is very clever in that it points out that Bane and Bain are dissimilar in spelling, but what's actually communicated is that the difference in spelling is insignificant. This is a sort of preemptive attack on any smaller differences in narrative that might exist as he then draws the larger analogy between the narratives.

Rush's rhetoric is not nearly as refined to put it mildly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

seems more like an attempt to keep people thinking about the election
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    ISTx

This comparison was made days ago on the news, before Limbaugh even got ahold of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    The fact that the bible speaks to analogies is deductive because the bible speaks to truth and truth is present in analogies. The quality of the analogy is dependent on the degree of truth that is present and communicated.
    Now you have to present Bible evidence to support these claims, because I do not agree with either, and your argument stands and falls with both.

I'm not defending Rush. I just wanted to let everyone know that Rush's comments didn't come completely out of nowhere. A democrat claimed the narrative, and Rush claimed it was more than just a narrative.
    Lehane's statement seems, at least to me, to be of a humorous nature. Rush, on the other hand, does he even have humor? Whenever I see or hear him, he is ranting in what seems to be earnest.

Actually the more I think about it, Nic, you shouldn't be offended by the fact that I think your analogy is worst than Lehane's.
    I am not. I wanted to point out that even you cannot show ultimate justification for all the value judgments you make, just to mess with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    A coworker told me about this. If you know Rush, you know he's doing this for publicity, and he sorely needs it. But, my comment to the coworker was, "What kind of person thinks so little of his Republican listeners that he pawns this crap on them. Is he a Democrat?"
    Yeah, I've always suspected the same. Republicans have no greater enemies than their own spokesman.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Limbaugh is an idiot, but I'm still voting for Bane - I mean ROMNEY because Rush told me to.

Now you have to present Bible evidence to support these claims, because I do not agree with either, and your argument stands and falls with both.
    Why would I bother when you don't view the bible as authoritative anyway?

Lehane's statement seems, at least to me, to be of a humorous nature. Rush, on the other hand, does he even have humor? Whenever I see or hear him, he is ranting in what seems to be earnest.
    If you found Lehane's comments to be humorous I doubt they were intended to be. Lehane is a political consultant who specializes in opposition research and class warfare rhetoric.

I am not. I wanted to point out that even you cannot show ultimate justification for all the value judgments you make, just to mess with you.
    I have never claimed to have ultimate justification. The difference between us is that I believe value judgments matter and I act like they matter. You act like they matter, but you do not claim to believe they matter. At least they do not matter beyond your own amusement. Which is why you aren't really interested in the truth here, but are just messing with me.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

What is it with this film? I've actually just received an email from Demand Progress reminding me to be outraged that senator Patrick Leahy (PIPA guy) is in TDKR.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness