User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Bane-Bain

  1. #11
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Not, but those that speak to the quality of analogies - in a PM, perhaps.
    The pm is not necessary as I don't plan to go on and on about this. The fact that the bible speaks to analogies is deductive because the bible speaks to truth and truth is present in analogies. The quality of the analogy is dependent on the degree of truth that is present and communicated. Obviously it is a matter of more or less truthful and not true or false, because of the nature of analogies. Thus your analogy is not false, but merely worst than another.

    I'm not defending Rush. I just wanted to let everyone know that Rush's comments didn't come completely out of nowhere. A democrat claimed the narrative, and Rush claimed it was more than just a narrative.

    Actually the more I think about it, Nic, you shouldn't be offended by the fact that I think your analogy is worst than Lehane's.

    Lehane's statement is very clever in that it points out that Bane and Bain are dissimilar in spelling, but what's actually communicated is that the difference in spelling is insignificant. This is a sort of preemptive attack on any smaller differences in narrative that might exist as he then draws the larger analogy between the narratives.

    Rush's rhetoric is not nearly as refined to put it mildly.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  2. #12
    Yup
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    Istj
    Posts
    1,517

    Default

    seems more like an attempt to keep people thinking about the election
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

  3. #13
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    This comparison was made days ago on the news, before Limbaugh even got ahold of it.

  4. #14
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    The fact that the bible speaks to analogies is deductive because the bible speaks to truth and truth is present in analogies. The quality of the analogy is dependent on the degree of truth that is present and communicated.
    Now you have to present Bible evidence to support these claims, because I do not agree with either, and your argument stands and falls with both.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I'm not defending Rush. I just wanted to let everyone know that Rush's comments didn't come completely out of nowhere. A democrat claimed the narrative, and Rush claimed it was more than just a narrative.
    Lehane's statement seems, at least to me, to be of a humorous nature. Rush, on the other hand, does he even have humor? Whenever I see or hear him, he is ranting in what seems to be earnest.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Actually the more I think about it, Nic, you shouldn't be offended by the fact that I think your analogy is worst than Lehane's.
    I am not. I wanted to point out that even you cannot show ultimate justification for all the value judgments you make, just to mess with you.

  5. #15
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    A coworker told me about this. If you know Rush, you know he's doing this for publicity, and he sorely needs it. But, my comment to the coworker was, "What kind of person thinks so little of his Republican listeners that he pawns this crap on them. Is he a Democrat?"
    Yeah, I've always suspected the same. Republicans have no greater enemies than their own spokesman.

  6. #16
    morose bourgeoisie
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,859

    Default

    Limbaugh is an idiot, but I'm still voting for Bane - I mean ROMNEY because Rush told me to.

  7. #17
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Now you have to present Bible evidence to support these claims, because I do not agree with either, and your argument stands and falls with both.
    Why would I bother when you don't view the bible as authoritative anyway?


    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Lehane's statement seems, at least to me, to be of a humorous nature. Rush, on the other hand, does he even have humor? Whenever I see or hear him, he is ranting in what seems to be earnest.
    If you found Lehane's comments to be humorous I doubt they were intended to be. Lehane is a political consultant who specializes in opposition research and class warfare rhetoric.


    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    I am not. I wanted to point out that even you cannot show ultimate justification for all the value judgments you make, just to mess with you.
    I have never claimed to have ultimate justification. The difference between us is that I believe value judgments matter and I act like they matter. You act like they matter, but you do not claim to believe they matter. At least they do not matter beyond your own amusement. Which is why you aren't really interested in the truth here, but are just messing with me.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  8. #18
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    What is it with this film? I've actually just received an email from Demand Progress reminding me to be outraged that senator Patrick Leahy (PIPA guy) is in TDKR.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Similar Threads

  1. Bane (Dark knight Rises)
    By Murrdogg in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
  2. Batman wars:Bane vs the Joker deathmatch
    By yenom in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
  3. Heroes, Ideology and Lyndon Baines Johnson
    By Mole in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 02-17-2012, 07:22 PM
  4. [MBTItm] The bane of your existence and intuitve narcissism
    By proteanmix in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 161
    Last Post: 11-12-2010, 11:24 AM
  5. Is ideology the bane of intellectual sophistication in the US?
    By coberst in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-13-2009, 01:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO