User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 72

  1. #1

    Unhappy Police shoot & kill wrong man at wrong address because he answered the door armed

    I've seen a few versions of this story with hot and heavy debate in the comments section either blaming the police or the man who answered the door with a gun in their face. Maybe I missed a detail, but the most critical thing I'm trying to find out (because I think it's the most relevant is) were they in uniform? That seems like a pretty big detail to leave out and for people to maintain a position without that tidbit is weird.

    Does anyone else know? I think it's foolish to answer your door with a gun pointed at people's faces, but the responsibility here appears to lie with the police department unless large facts are missing or misrepresented. I'm astounded that they are blaming the victim. It seems like they screwed up huge.

    Fla. deputies shoot, kill 'wrong' suspect


    LAKE COUNTY, Fla. — Lake County Sheriff's Office deputies shot and killed a man they assumed was an attempted murder suspect on Sunday, but they now know they shot the wrong man.

    In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

    "When we knocked on the door, the door opened and the occupant of that apartment was pointing a gun at deputies, and that's when we opened fire and killed him," Lt. John Herrell said. "Even though this subject is not the one we were looking for when he opened the door. He was pointing the gun at the deputy and if you put yourselves in the deputy's shoes. They were there to pick up someone who was wanted for an attempted homicide."

    Officials said the deputies did not identify themselves because of safety reasons.

    Deputies thought they were confronting Jonathan Brown, a man accused of attempted murder. Brown was spotted at the Blueberry Hills Apartment complex and his motorcycle was parked across from Andrew Scott's front door.

    "It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

    Residents said the unannounced knock at the door at 1:30 a.m. may be the reason why the tragedy happened.
    (Also, I think the bolded statement is pretty whoa.)

    Thoughts?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  2. #2
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I've seen a few versions of this story with hot and heavy debate in the comments section either blaming the police or the man who answered the door with a gun in their face. Maybe I missed a detail, but the most critical thing I'm trying to find out (because I think it's the most relevant is) were they in uniform? That seems like a pretty big detail to leave out and for people to maintain a position without that tidbit is weird.

    Does anyone else know? I think it's foolish to answer your door with a gun pointed at people's faces, but the responsibility here appears to lie with the police department unless large facts are missing or misrepresented. I'm astounded that they are blaming the victim. It seems like they screwed up huge.

    Fla. deputies shoot, kill 'wrong' suspect




    (Also, I think the bolded statement is pretty whoa.)

    Thoughts?
    Only in amurrika.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    214

    Default

    I don't answer my door for anyone at 1:30 am. If someone tries to force their way into my house at 1:30 am, I am going to defend myself by any means possible. Really, how did these officers think the resident would react?

  4. #4
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    There's a lot of screwups similar to this, but this is one of the few I don't think can really be prevented. I don't think either party was necessarily at fault. Maybe the houseowner moreso, but who knows what kind of circumstances led up to him being irritable enough to answer the door like that. He might've had a good reason, even beyond just two strange men knocking at 1:30am.

    The only thing that could prevent it is banning gun ownership entirely, but that's a whole other issue, and one I disagree with.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    There's a lot of screwups similar to this, but this is one of the few I don't think can really be prevented. I don't think either party was necessarily at fault. Maybe the houseowner moreso, but who knows what kind of circumstances led up to him being irritable enough to answer the door like that. He might've had a good reason, even beyond just two strange men knocking at 1:30am.

    The only thing that could prevent it is banning gun ownership entirely, but that's a whole other issue, and one I disagree with.
    Would you still place the bulk of responsibility with the victim if it turns out that the police were also in plainclothes (in addition to not identifying themselves upon knocking)? If so, why?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

  6. #6
    insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Only in amurrika.
    srsly. Police and guy seem to both be partially at fault (pointing a gun at people for knocking, sight unseen?! police not identifying themselves?!), although it seems likely that the gun culture drove both mistakes.

    /out before "how dare you criticize amurrika??!!!!1111"
    -end of thread-

  7. #7
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Would you still place the bulk of responsibility with the victim if it turns out that the police were also in plainclothes (in addition to not identifying themselves upon knocking)? If so, why?
    Yes.. if he only just asked himself why someone would even take the time to knock, he would've been different. He could have just been slightly cautious, and held the gun behind his back. If they were truly a threat, plainclothes or not, they would have been stalking his house, behaving like burglars. There's a small burden on them to maybe attempt more diplomacy and talk him down, but who knows how he opened the door. He could have been really aggressive looking, big gun in their faces.. so they freaked out. At least he had more time to think. But he didn't.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    214

    Default

    I don't think the uniforms matter. You can't just assume the guy has a way to see who's at the door. They could easily have knocked on the door in the morning, or waited for the guy to come out.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Wolfie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so
    Posts
    555

    Default

    "It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.
    It just makes me sick to read that. You just kill a man and this is how you try to excuse it. I live in Oakland and we have similar things happen far too often with our police department. Recently we had the Oscar Grant ordeal, where a rowdy, not violent, young man was killed. The officer had pinned him down and he was not resisting. The officer took out his gun and shot him in the back, killing him. The officer claimed he thought he was using his TAZER. What a load of shit!

    This also reminds me of a case I just heard about. An innocent man was killed in a police chase in a residential neighborhood. The cops were chasing suspects who burgled a house (not armed robbery). The ones being chased were going so fast that they plowed into this man's car. One of the suspects died as well as the innocent bystander. I was talking about this with an attorney and they were saying that the police should not be held accountable. I believe otherwise. I do not think police should initiate a police chase where it would put civilians at risk, especially in the case of crimes like house burglary. Police should be held accountable.

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dala View Post
    I don't think the uniforms matter. You can't just assume the guy has a way to see who's at the door. They could easily have knocked on the door in the morning, or waited for the guy to come out.
    No? You wouldn't lower your gun after answering the door to police in uniform?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Similar Threads

  1. Seriously! "NAKED MAN KILLED BY POLICE WHILE EATING OTHER NAKED MAN'S FACE"
    By LEGERdeMAIN in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 147
    Last Post: 07-29-2012, 03:46 PM
  2. [NT] So.. if life's a bitch, then am I wrong for trying to enjoy the ride?
    By mysavior in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 06:59 PM
  3. Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) police shoot a seemingly unarmed man
    By swordpath in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 178
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 11:25 PM
  4. Yet ANOTHER police shooting on New Years eve
    By kendoiwan in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:16 PM
  5. SHOOT TO KILL!
    By ByMySword in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 02-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO