Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Not only do we have guns. We have spaceships too.
    So does Russia.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    I guess I'm playing devil's advocate a little bit.

I do think it's a bit crazy because I already realized that if they are cops, they might shoot.

If I advised to not answer the door with a gun because there might be plain clothes police officers who might shoot you, and pointed to this same incident as evidence, would you disregard my advice just because it isn't an ideal scenario?

Knowing how something works doesn't mean that I agree with it or support it or judge it in any way.
    He didn't know they were the cops.

The only rationality I see as the result in your argument is that almost no one should carry a gun. Including the cops.

Anyway, I wouldn't have even opened the door, but men often feel they must be a man and protect their property, etc.

I fault the cops, because in case you didn't pay attention to my personal story, the cops will do whatever the hell they feel, even if they have the wrong address or the wrong man.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    He didn't know they were the cops.

The only rationality I see as the result in your argument is that almost no one should carry a gun. Including the cops.

Anyway, I wouldn't have even opened the door, but men often feel they must be a man and protect their property, etc.

I fault the cops, because in case you didn't pay attention to my personal story, the cops will do whatever the hell they feel, even if they have the wrong address or the wrong man.
    Not knowing something is a very good reason to use caution, especially with guns. "Didn't know" are often famous last words, like "I didn't know it was loaded" for example. Knowing stuff is the primary method of safety with guns. Not knowing stuff is a way to get hurt or killed, or even worse kill someone else.

I totally agree on not opening the door.

I also think the deputies have their fault in the matter because they were going after someone suspected of attempted homicide, which I don't see as being a 'knock and stand there at the door and wait for them' type of scenario.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Not knowing something is a very good reason to use caution, especially with guns. "Didn't know" are often famous last words, like "I didn't know it was loaded" for example. Knowing stuff is the primary method of safety with guns. Not knowing stuff is a way to get hurt or killed, or even worse kill someone else.

I totally agree on not opening the door.

I also think the deputies have their fault in the matter because they were going after someone suspected of attempted homicide, which I don't see as being a 'knock and stand there at the door and wait for them' type of scenario.
    I think what the police should have known is a more relevant topic in regards to how the situation unfolded. I still don't quite get why this guy's common sense is getting attacked instead of the common sense of our POLICE.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    I think what the police should have known is a more relevant topic in regards to how the situation unfolded. I still don't quite get why this guy's common sense is getting attacked instead of the common sense of our POLICE.
    Who's making it an attack? Not me. What I've said is not an attack and it is not untrue as far as I can tell.

It's also not untrue that it works in reverse - the man got killed because the deputies got themselves into a situation without proper knowledge and they screwed it up hard. So it is still true that not knowing stuff when guns are involved gets people killed.

MBTI
    INTJ

Overall my impression of the cops in USA is that they are a bunch of undisiplined, unproffesional, gun loving idiots. This is a good example for why Police in Norway needs a green light to get the gun out.

Not stating your the Police when you are about to arrest someone in USA where everyone got guns is as bad as bad ideas gets.
    Epic derailment:
    wierd memory work->Tamagochi->tetris->Starcraft2->thugs->Chess->german techno->Love parade->disaster->death..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wH2...eature=related

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MatsNorway View Post
    Overall my impression of the cops in USA is that they are a bunch of undisiplined, unproffesional, gun loving idiots. This is a good example for why Police in Norway needs a green light to get the gun out.

Not stating your the Police when you are about to arrest someone in USA where everyone got guns is as bad as bad ideas gets.
    Yes, they have gone from 'protect and serve' to 'swarm and overwhelm' which is why I don't really even bother with criticism that much because it's like criticizing the fact that we have two senators per state regardless of the population, or the fact that the Senate can still filibuster. Yelling at it won't save us.

MBTI
    INFJ

And honestly, now that I think about it, it should seem that the Sheriff's department should have more incentive to be careful and do things properly as opposed to city police, because county sheriffs are elected by the people, not appointed. So I find it odd when the sheriffs screw up like this.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Manslaughter for every officer who fired a shot.

This is what the police do in the US.

[YOUTUBE="JOlqqeDydZ4"]Columbia, Mo. SWAT Raid 2010-02-11: Cops Shoot Pets With Children Present[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="T3tIx_jiuio"]OFFICER GOES TO WRONG ADDRESS, THEN SHOOTS DOG [/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="g81g5WH29y4"]Cop shoots Dog as Kids Watched [/YOUTUBE]
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

If someone knocks aggressively on my door in the wee hours, and I then see through the peep hole that they are holding guns and have not announced that they are police officers... they are liable to get shot through the door, or upon entrance.