User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
    It's not a new thing for people to make up a bunch of reasons why the victim should have avoided falling victim. I just think it's a little wrong to hone in on how he could have acted differently and how stupid he was about his actions. We don't know his reasons. He is dead. The police operate in a gun-toting state. That's just the reality. I'm surprised the police didn't conduct themselves accordingly.

In regards to the Stand Your Ground law, I had read an article about a man in Florida killing two unarmed (hispanic) trespassers with a shotgun, even while on the phone with police and they were instructing him not to act. (Similar to Trayvon case) He was not held accountable due to the Stand Your Ground law. If that does not technically meet the guidelines of the law, then I would say there is a fair amount of abuse of that law, stretching it to meet broader situation. It would be an interesting topic to do more research on.
    Well it isn't an all or nothing thing, you know. Each is responsible for himself in my view.

The sheriffs didn't have to shoot the guy and there was probably bad procedure there but I don't believe in absolving the victim just because he died and I don't believe in prosecuting the sheriffs just because they killed him. Both are responsible for their own doing and the 'we don't know the reasons' argument goes both ways.

Police being held to a higher standard does not protect the civilian from scrutiny.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

People are so retarded that they don't comprehend how authoritarian and primitive America is.

Police officers will BREAK PEOPLE'S THINGS and BEAT PEOPLE'S ASSES because they are selling tacos and fruit on the sidewalk.

That's the country we live in.

Welcome to Amerika.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Another true story: a guy on probation or parole gave our old address as his address, and he WASNT EVEN STAYING THERE, and the cops showed up at 7 AM, took rifles and held my Argentine friends (who are "white" and mostly Northern Italian and Spanish, and the last two generations were BORN HERE) and told them to stand against the wall, barged into everyone's room, didn't kill anyone, but basically acted like complete Soviet KGB fuckwads, until they realized we weren't hiding the loser they were looking for.

In the U.S. you are GUILTY UNTIL PROVEN INNOCENT, not the other way around.

I hate this country, I really do, I want to move to Europe.

As Long As It Takes.... Redbone's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

My home state in the news...again.

This reminds me of an elderly man who was fed up with the drug deals going on around his home in a Jax neighborhood. Undercover cops were dealing in front of his house, Mr. S comes out with his rifle trying to scare them away and the cops shoot him. There was some blame, too. He shouldn't have been trying to scare away the dealers in front of his house (b/c they weren't in his yard). Shouldn't have waved a firearm at a cop (they didn't ID themselves) and so on. His death was written off as a collateral damage kind of thing.

I've had people knock on my door at 1:00 a.m. or later, too. I always had a weapon because it was usually somebody scamming for cash. Opening the door to the pretty young lady in distress outside was a sure way for me to get robbed, beaten, or worse.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    I've seen a few versions of this story with hot and heavy debate in the comments section either blaming the police or the man who answered the door with a gun in their face. Maybe I missed a detail, but the most critical thing I'm trying to find out (because I think it's the most relevant is) were they in uniform? That seems like a pretty big detail to leave out and for people to maintain a position without that tidbit is weird.

Does anyone else know? I think it's foolish to answer your door with a gun pointed at people's faces, but the responsibility here appears to lie with the police department unless large facts are missing or misrepresented. I'm astounded that they are blaming the victim. It seems like they screwed up huge.

Fla. deputies shoot, kill 'wrong' suspect

(Also, I think the bolded statement is pretty whoa.)

Thoughts?
    My orediction: Major civil suit pending. The estate of the dead man will win.

Police were wrong on different counts.

Not an atypical case.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Redbone View Post
    My home state in the news...again.

This reminds me of an elderly man who was fed up with the drug deals going on around his home in a Jax neighborhood. Undercover cops were dealing in front of his house, Mr. S comes out with his rifle trying to scare them away and the cops shoot him. There was some blame, too. He shouldn't have been trying to scare away the dealers in front of his house (b/c they weren't in his yard). Shouldn't have waved a firearm at a cop (they didn't ID themselves) and so on. His death was written off as a collateral damage kind of thing.
    Here's the problem though: the cultural standard in that old man's time is that you could scare people off with shotguns. People have the right to bear arms here, and it's only natural to do something like that when scared.

The problem is that in this country, police officers can line you up against the wall with rifles if they're looking for some asshat not related to you, and if you can't AFFORD a civil suit, you're fucked.

What if your life or your money is otherwise consumed?

In this country, we have firearms and authoritarian acting government, without the benefit of authoritarian nice schools and full coverage health care.

It makes me so sick.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Here's the problem though: the cultural standard in that old man's time is that you could scare people off with shotguns. People have the right to bear arms here, and it's only natural to do something like that when scared.

The problem is that in this country, police officers can line you up against the wall with rifles if they're looking for some asshat not related to you, and if you can't AFFORD a civil suit, you're fucked.

In this country, we have firearms and authoritarian acting government, without the benefit of authoritarian nice schools and full coverage health care.

It makes me so sick.
    Amen.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post

It makes me so sick.
    Yeah, we have some pretty bad problems there overall.

One problem is that people cry out for security, and due process, and effectiveness, while still maintaining all privacy and all rights. It's like expecting the police to work magic because any rights to protect the innocent will be abused by criminals to obstruct justice. Cases end up being thrown out and criminals get away because police effectively have their hands tied many times.

At the same time though we don't want crime to get a foothold. Where I came from there were regular shootings and police did not patrol, they would just send the meat wagon to pick up your dead body. The streets were run by these little gangs and you could barely even drive down the road because they would effectively show their ownership of the street by having basketball games in the middle of the road, and they would stare you down and let you know that they let you through when they feel like it and not before. I remember a while back some guy living in a different area called out one of these gangs for playing basketball and blocking the road, and later on like 20 people came and nearly beat him to death with pipes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Well it isn't an all or nothing thing, you know. Each is responsible for himself in my view.

The sheriffs didn't have to shoot the guy and there was probably bad procedure there but I don't believe in absolving the victim just because he died and I don't believe in prosecuting the sheriffs just because they killed him. Both are responsible for their own doing and the 'we don't know the reasons' argument goes both ways.

Police being held to a higher standard does not protect the civilian from scrutiny.
    You've got to be fucking kidding me. Plain clothes police officers knock on your door, you don't know they are police, you carry a weapon to door, because you have no idea who is at your door, and you die.

Well, see, we have a right to bear arms in this country.

Also, what if the police think you're a terrorist, and the government stalks and profile you, even though you're innocent? Is that your personal responsibility too?

On one side of the government we have nutcases who want to punish the poor for being poor, but have insane police officers who are allowed to literally get away with murder, and all kinds of invasions of privacy, like the Patriot Act, and not allowing gays to marry, but the liberals are the enemy since they at least want to give people education and health in exchange for all of these insane restrictions imposed upon them?

I would like to go to countries in Western Europe so I can have benefit without the fear, thanks.

Maybe in a country where people weren't so highly armed, so many people wouldn't be killed, either. And I mean BOTH...citizens and regular police officers, drunk on power.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by sprinkles View Post
    Yeah, we have some pretty bad problems there overall.

One problem is that people cry out for security, and due process, and effectiveness, while still maintaining all privacy and all rights. It's like expecting the police to work magic because any rights to protect the innocent will be abused by criminals to obstruct justice. Cases end up being thrown out and criminals get away because police effectively have their hands tied many times.

At the same time though we don't want crime to get a foothold. Where I came from there were regular shootings and police did not patrol, they would just send the meat wagon to pick up your dead body. The streets were run by these little gangs and you could barely even drive down the road because they would effectively show their ownership of the street by having basketball games in the middle of the road, and they would stare you down and let you know that they let you through when they feel like it and not before. I remember a while back some guy living in a different area called out one of these gangs for playing basketball and blocking the road, and later on like 20 people came and nearly beat him to death with pipes.
    Crime prevention is education and opportunity, not violence.