User Tag List

12 Last

WALMART

Default Epic Historic Battles

The Battle of the Somme is probably one of my favorite battles in history.

I don't remember the specifics, but on opening day some 20,000 Brits were machinegunned down within a thirty minute timeframe over a two mile stretch of land. By day's end, the estimated casuality count was upwards of 60,000. This specific event led to the 'horror' prescribed to trench warfare in WW1.

Makes me a little sad :'(

What's your favorite historic battle?

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    What's your favorite historic battle?
    Battles become visible as they recede into the past, and so it is only from amongst the visible battles we can choose our favourites.

As I write we are engaged in the Long War but it is invisible and so we are told on the very highest authority that it doesn't exist.

So the invisible Long War is quite like the Phony War that began WW II.

In the Long War large numbers are being killed all over the world, backed up by a global propaganda offensive.

And our future favourite battles are being fought now.

WALMART

Today's battles are hardly battles. I'd call it controlled skirmishing.

Senor Membrae Eugene Watson VIII's Avatar
    MBTI
    iSFP
    Enneagram
    idk sp

The 1905 Bloody Sunday wasn't so much epic, maybe brutal. was a surprise to read
    Myers-Briggs: xsFP

Enneagram: 9?-4wX?-5/6

~ People don't think it be like it is, but it do. ~

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

The Battle of Stalingrad and all of the darkly humorous poorly clothed stupid arrogance which led up to it.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Here's a fun one to read about: The Gordon Desert Force / The Siege of Khartoum 1884-1885. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Expedition

British forces have been trapped in Khartoum while trying to put down The Mahdi's popular uprising in The Sudan. So the British government authorizes a column to march up the Nile, and finally across hundreds of kilometers of desert on camel, to rescue the besieged General Gordon. As Gordon's force of a couple thousand men (at most) finally falls to the 50,000-strong Mahdi army after holding out for 10 months, the rescue party gets there just a few days too late, after having trekked for months and surviving several large battles themselves. They find the city conquered, all Gordon's men killed.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Here's a fun one to read about: The Gordon Desert Force / The Siege of Khartoum 1884-1885. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile_Expedition

British forces have been trapped in Khartoum while trying to put down The Mahdi's popular uprising in The Sudan. So the British government authorizes a column to march up the Nile, and finally across hundreds of kilometers of desert on camel, to rescue the besieged General Gordon. As Gordon's force of a couple thousand men (at most) finally falls to the 50,000-strong Mahdi army after holding out for 10 months, the rescue party gets there just a few days too late, after having trekked for months and surviving several large battles themselves. They find the city conquered, all Gordon's men killed.

I enjoyed that one. Poor saps.

This probably counts as one of the most epic in my book

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    The Battle of the Somme is probably one of my favorite battles in history.

I don't remember the specifics, but on opening day some 20,000 Brits were machinegunned down within a thirty minute timeframe over a two mile stretch of land. By day's end, the estimated casuality count was upwards of 60,000. This specific event led to the 'horror' prescribed to trench warfare in WW1.
    Verdun was even worse. Within one day, the French suffered an estimated 75,000 casualities; which equals that of American casualities in the entire Vietnam War.

I always found it tragic how Henry Gunther was killed literally within a minute before the war ended.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Verdun was even worse. Within one day, the French suffered an estimated 75,000 casualities; which equals that of American casualities in the entire Vietnam War.

I always found it tragic how Henry Gunther was killed literally within a minute before the war ended.

Poor, poor Gunther. I'd actually never read that story.

The reason the Somme sticks out for me is the topography of the battlefield and the prelude to the events that transpired.

The Brits thought they were walking through easy but little did they know their cannons weren't large enough to puncture the deeply dug shelters of the Germans. Seven days of shelling and hardly a single German entrenchment was inoperable.

I can only imagine the terror the poor souls felt when the German guns opened fire...