User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

To everyone but you, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    I think this is a good time to remember Nr 2. nobody really hates America(ns)
    No. 7 as well ("we [are] emotionally insecure as a culture").

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Yeah well there's no crime in that either. Just requires some gloves on occasion to handle the situation

...though I'd appreciate it if you put down the gun when having a hissy fit
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    If I didn't mean it I wouldn't have written it.

I frankly don't give one red fuck what my posts feed into.

If I'm quick to react, it's because the commentary on the US from outsiders seems (on this forum) to be disproportionally colored by negative opinions. If the US wasn't the only superpower left you guys wouldn't give two shits about US.

But we are still a superpower, and ripping on us (as always) still gives one lefty cred.

Where are the 10 things most canadians don't know, or french, or english, or whatever.

There aren't any. It's not fun being painted into a corner by those that don't live in the US, and who have a less than stellar understanding about all the good things we do for the World.

If you are waiting for me to buy into the narrative of US decline, or to buy into your worldview that seems to highlight our faults while taking no account our strengths, don't hold your breath.

I'm stoked on America and will be in her corner until I no longer breathe.

I don't talk shit on other countries, because I think most other countries are pretty God damn awesome.

I have nothing more to say here, any people can hate me if they want to for my opinions on the subject.
    It's weird, but I always assumed all those angrily-patriotic stereotypes about Americans were just that, funny exaggerations, but after being here a few years and reading some of the seemingly sincere posts by Americans here, I am amazed that people like the stereotype actually do exist. I have no way to know if they represent the majority of Americans (I think not - at least I know many are not like this), but it's still strange to me to hear those kinds of attitudes.

I know this will be taken (incorrectly, but inevitably) as criticism, but I just find it interesting.
    -end of thread-

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    It's weird, but I always assumed all those angrily-patriotic stereotypes about Americans were just that, funny exaggerations, but after being here a few years and reading some of the seemingly sincere posts by Americans here, I am amazed that people like the stereotype actually do exist. I have no way to know if they represent the majority of Americans (I think not - at least I know many are not like this), but it's still strange to me to hear those kinds of attitudes.

I know this will be taken (incorrectly, but inevitably) as criticism, but I just find it interesting.
    You find it curious that people who live in America buy into it's greatness (or more specifically how great it can be)?

I'm not an exceptionalist. I don't think the US is the greatest country in the world.

I don't think there is any greatest country in the world.

Countries are all different. Different, not better or worse.... kind of like people.

But I do think the US is great and has the capacity to do even more great things as time moves forward.

Just because one is stoked on where they are from doesn't necessarily mean that they have anything but nice things to say about other countries.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I actually saw a different slideshow of "top ten things americans dont know about america" a week or two back. Item number was was that most americans thought we spend too much money on foreign aid. On average people thought that is where 25% of the budget goes, and people said 10% should be enough. According to the slide only 1% of the national budget is spent on foreign aid. It then talked about federal budget for things like NPR, medicare/medicaid/social security/defense is the lions share of our national budget, and whatever else.

I agree with probably everything from the weblink of this forum topic. I've been to a few other countries. As a INFP I have a sort of "natural counterculture attitude anyways", I lived in Europe a LONG time ago, I'm fascinated by various Asian countries.

As a military brat I consider myself patriotic in the sense that America allows, by law, certain freedoms and choices and I am appreciative and supportive of that. I often dont agree with how many other people make their choices or appear to assume that others should concur with their choices, but I remain free to make mine as I see fit. Perhaps I should go join a hippie vegetarian buddhist commune in hawaii now...

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I see a big difference between thinking something is great and being hypersensitive to any opinions that aren't "man that thing is great!", that's all. The latter, at least with regards to patriotism, is one of those American stereotypes being discussed.

Most people I know here like, even love, Canada. I don't plan to ever leave this country. But I don't know anyone who gets righteously offended if someone criticizes something about Canada. You'll see disagreement, even heated argument, but not offense that they dared say anything bad about the country. That's the attitude that I find curious.
    -end of thread-

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I see a big difference between thinking something is great and being hypersensitive to any opinions that aren't "man that thing is great!", that's all.
    I'm not hypersensitive, I'm just subjected to more negative opinions of the US here than I would otherwise be.

As an 8w9 I don't express my anger at everything that bothers me.

I sit back and let slights (perceived or otherwise) accumulate before eventually blowing up about something.

This is something I still have to work on, and to the extent slights are perceived on my end but not intended on the other I apologize.

But at the same time, I wont apologize for my opinions about America.

We are just mildly schizophrenic

And my relationship with America is a bit bipolar.

Katy Perry for you!

Other than that, nods.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I see a big difference between thinking something is great and being hypersensitive to any opinions that aren't "man that thing is great!", that's all. The latter, at least with regards to patriotism, is one of those American stereotypes being discussed.

Most people I know here like, even love, Canada. I don't plan to ever leave this country. But I don't know anyone who gets righteously offended if someone criticizes something about Canada. You'll see disagreement, even heated argument, but not offense that they dared say anything bad about the country. That's the attitude that I find curious.
    I dunno, my sis came back from living in Toronto with this new skill to be hyper careful about what she says about Canada. I don't see much of a difference, we're all sensitive when it comes others criticising the places that we're identified with. And I betcha there's more than couple towns that have people who would be really hostile to somebody who had a bad word for their country.

And what interests me is that people dont realise they are representing, they want to be judged on the basis of the perfect self or representative they have in mind despite appearing to more closely resemble the worst example of what people think about their country or creedo, then when they get the predictable response it confirms their preconceptions or prejudices.

There's A LOT of people out there who wouldnt have it any other way, its easier dealing with and doing what you can to reinforce the superficial differences, its reassuring, comfortable, I mean admitting, for some people, that there's flaws and imperfections in their thinking or behaviour or they could be mistaken is way too threatening.

Its lousy but its how things are, not responding to anyone in particular just what you were saying here.