User Tag List

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: 10 Things Most Americans Don't Know About America

3w2 so

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    Hah.. well, maybe you can find a better slice of Germany. I live in a part of th US where people look at you funny if you aren't into college football, hunting, golf, or whatever low grade sitcom happens to be popular. I'm thinking that certain people (us) will always be on the outside.
    ya i have learnt that too. america aint only what hollywood showed me
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by animenagai View Post
    Can I add one to the list?

In general, Americans like to play the race card or the 'rights card' more than any other nationality I've been in contact with. Before any of you say shit like 'that isn't representative of America as a nation', I'm not saying that all or even the majority of Americans do this. However, in comparison, it is definitely a lot more common.

In general I think "race politics" and 'race' itself plays a far greater role in day-to-day American life than it does in other countries. Why that is I can't say entirely but obviously the fact that the United States had a civil war over the matter (among other reasons) and many states continued to have "Jim Crow" laws maintaining de jure racial segregation until the 1960s has a lot to do with it.

Identifying one's self as 'white' or 'black' or 'latino' or whatever is very 'American' to me.

I'm not naive enough to believe racism doesn't happen in my own country (I still remember walking down a street a few years ago while a deranged homeless man across the street was screaming an unintelligible, profanity-laced, racist diatribe at a couple of Dinka men walking past...) but I don't 'see' race the way Americans seem to do.

To put it into perspective the fact that Barack Obama is 'black' is a huge deal in the US while the fact that Michaëlle Jean was Canada's first black Governor General (and a woman no less) was just a trivial footnote ("BFD").