User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Maybe the patriotism in Germany is expressed primarily through chauvinism and sporting events.

But in the US, patriotism means just a little bit more.
    Yes. You never learned of Germany.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Yes. You never learned of Germany.
    Please enlighten me.

I was responding to the German take on patriotism enumerated by Red Herring.

So how do you come to the conclusion that I never learned of Germany?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    Maybe this is an inherent "fault" in the foundation of a country resting upon a philosophical basis, a "fault" dating back to the Declaration of Independence, and seen in the Oaths of Office, of Service, and of Naturalization (for immigrants) to pledge loyalty to The Constitution of the country--in essence, to pledge loyalty to its ideals and values. That maybe the natural result will be the grouping of "people who believe in American ideas" and "people who don't"...
    Basically this.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Please enlighten me.

I was responding to the German take on patriotism enumerated by Red Herring.

So how do you come to the conclusion that I never learned of Germany?
    In the US patriotism means a bit more. Thank you.

Patriotism did not mean a bit more in post war Germany. They were a nation immune to heil and glory.
    It was therefore Germany became the most affluent country in Europe after the war.
    Learning is hard, I know. But it is possible.

MBTI
    xNxx
    Enneagram
    4w5 so

I liked the article and agreed with many points, even if some contradicted my personal experience.

I grew up detesting my country. I glorified Europe. I told my family first thing I was going to do was move overseas and leave this shit hole behind. (I was kind of an angry teenager). Once I lived in France, however, I felt patriotism for the first time in my life. Opposite effect of what was described in the article.
    ( . )( . )

MBTI
    NeFi
    Enneagram
    4w3

Can I add one to the list?

In general, Americans like to play the race card or the 'rights card' more than any other nationality I've been in contact with. Before any of you say shit like 'that isn't representative of America as a nation', I'm not saying that all or even the majority of Americans do this. However, in comparison, it is definitely a lot more common.
    Chimera of Filth

A gruesome beast with dripping flesh
    Clings to me as a sick fixture
    My throbbing heart it gnawed apart
    It stalks and hunts me through mirrors

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Im British. I feel we, unsurprisingly, share many of America's flaws. To a greater extent than other countries anyway.

The big difference between British and American cultures is the patriotism dynamic. Direct patriotism, in all but the least cultured circles, is often frowned on in Britain. Funnily enough, its considered unbritish to be terribly patriotic. Patriotism is always brother to jingoism. And we look down on jingoism...especially when silly foreign countries do it.

My goodness.

Britain has some sort of weird post-modern patriotism going on.

And I notice this post is fairly negative about British culture. That is pretty British of me. Compared to most British people, Id consider myself a patriot.

*edit*

The difference in American/British patriotism.

Many Americans think America is awesome, and better than most other countries.
    Many British think Britain is pretty rubbish, but still better than most other countries.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nancynobullets View Post
    Im British. I feel we, unsurprisingly, share many of America's flaws. To a greater extent than other countries anyway.

The big difference between British and American cultures is the patriotism dynamic. Direct patriotism, in all but the least cultured circles, is often frowned on in Britain. Funnily enough, its considered unbritish to be terribly patriotic. Patriotism is always brother to jingoism. And we look down on jingoism...especially when silly foreign countries do it.

My goodness.

Britain has some sort of weird post-modern patriotism going on.
    This is pretty much post-war Germany and, for all I know, most Western European countries.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I always wanted and still want to move to the States. Somehow people in this country are making me feel down strongly. I am not intrested in their boring shit and except for shopping people around my hometown and watching soccer they have nothing to do with their lives.

Just recently a colleague laughed at me because I built a CO2 plant dung "machine" for my aquarium, from a coca cola bottle, yeast, sugar and water. He's convinced in a bad way that I suck and because I am not intrested in soccer, music bands or shopping or the new Iphone I am a very grave flaw.

I am sick of the people here
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    I always wanted and still want to move to the States. Somehow people in this country are making me feel down strongly. I am not intrested in their boring shit and except for shopping people around my hometown and watching soccer they have nothing to do with their lives.

Just recently a colleague laughed at me because I built a CO2 plant dung "machine" for my aquarium, from a coca cola bottle, yeast, sugar and water. He's convinced in a bad way that I suck and because I am not intrested in soccer, music bands or shopping or the new Iphone I am a very grave flaw.

I am sick of the people here
    Hah.. well, maybe you can find a better slice of Germany. I live in a part of th US where people look at you funny if you aren't into college football, hunting, golf, or whatever low grade sitcom happens to be popular. I'm thinking that certain people (us) will always be on the outside.