User Tag List

Thread: Expectations, Pessimism and making a bad situation deliberately worse

Default Expectations, Pessimism and making a bad situation deliberately worse

Has anyone encountered this, I was at the gym the other day and heard some guys in the locker room complaining about the upkeep of the place and how long it was taking to get a piece of broken equipment repaired and two seperate machines for dispensing soap, shampoo etc. and the other mints, gum etc. restocked.

They got themselves pretty worked up about this and it was something which I knew was beyond their control and they werent even speaking with who they should be, staff, they werent logging complaints by phone, in writing or in person and they hadnt even sought an explanation as to why these things hadnt been restocked or replaced.

I could think of reasons besides "they're lazy, what are we paying our membership for?" I could also think of reasons besides the one or two things they had mentioned that everyone was "paying their membership for" (if one machine was broken/faulty dozens werent and there was a working model of the one they were talking about remaining).

Anyway, a week or two later I noticed a hole bashed in a wall at about foot height, another water fountain dinged and bashed like it had been hit or kicked.

On the one hand the gym can be a pretty inhospitable place sometimes, purely due to the people visiting, occasionally I suspect some members membership lapses and they dont come back, either for financial reasons or they've been told not to come back until they're willing to behave themselves. There's low level menace which is BS and unnecessary from some of them and I've wondered from time to time if its just northern ireland or if its ex-prisoners or something like that.

Although I did overhear (I dont talk a lot of other people at the gym, I go work out and go home) someone, dont know if it was one of the original band of complainers, talk about how they'd vandalised something and "we'll see how long they take to fix that".

I wondered at that, I wondered at it because in the UK I see that mindset more and more, when is someone else going to take care of this? I am not getting what I deserve from others? How can I beg, borrow, hire, scare or punish others into giving me what I need?

I think there's two things to this which really bother me, one, there's a complete and utter affect fail, this is probably the aspect that bothers me the most, becoming angry, losing control of yourself, becoming violent, its no solution to anything and, two, its all about other people, there's an admission or self-fufiling prophecy there of ones own ineptitude, powerlessness and hopelessness. Its not a wonder the country is becoming morose and morbid.

These two things I think lead more to a culture of "curse the darkness rather than light a candle" and of making what is often an already undesirable or poor situation far worse than it needs to be or already is. What do you think? Have you seen anything similar yourself? Or do you think that the group of guys getting stoked and angry have the right idea?

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Those guys are dicks.
    -end of thread-