User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    As amusing I find you, I'm starting to contemplate buying you a filter for Christmas.
    A high-class hooker would be much more appreciated. LMAO

Permabanned

Probably way too young to be thinking about this...but...

For the most part...don't make a mess, keep quiet, and have fun.

And tell me a story or two when I ask for one.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Of course you're strict you're an ENTJ 1 for God's sake. LMAO
    What's ENTJ 1?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I'd imagine pre-historic children knew more about sex than your children.
    I'm sorry did you just say that life in prehistory recommends itself? I think you just made paleo-conservatism appear moderate.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm sorry did you just say that life in prehistory recommends itself? I think you just made paleo-conservatism appear moderate.
    Nope, I just think children are more durable than many people believe.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What's ENTJ 1?
    You're an ENTJ, enneagram 1.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

unless you're going to homeschool your kid and completely isolate them from society and their peers, sheltering them and being overprotective just seems foolish. they'll either buck and rebel against you the second they get a chance or will be too soft and naive to deal with the real world.

obviously you should be limiting your children's exposure to certain things, but kids grow up fast and are exposed to a lot of things. there's elementary school kids giving blow jobs and doing drugs.

Society

well, in regards to my ex stepson, while my general stance is against sheltering, there are a few guidelines which i have found to be important exceptions:

when he was around 4, my ex brother in law got him a DVD set of dragon ball Z, on which appearently both my ex brother in law and my ex wife grow up on. in the following week i got 3 'incident reports' from his teacher, and we figured it out.

beyond that, fictional forms of violence from games or movies do not influence him in particular - they gave him more to roleplay, and yet he seems to be naturally attracted to fictional tools then to fictional weapons, like the "portal gun" or the "magic hand" from minecraft (just google those to see what i mean), and any vehicle that flies, balloon houses in particular, and spaceships, and at one point flying books... the point being that there wasn't a need for discouragement in that regard, his attention was naturally more attracted to peaceful.

i think the reason it might be that when he see's violence he identifies more with whosever getting kicked then whoever is doing the kicking. he wasn't a pacifist either - he did have his tantrums, his moment of throwing stuff, his occasional bad behavior report from school, but one of those i actually took his side (found out he hit a kid for hitting his friend, a kid who apearently hits a lot in general, and i got it out from his teacher that he did try to approach her before doing anything himself).

we'd let him play with us games of mediocre levels of violence, and he really got into the social aspect of it and exploration side more then anything else. for him simulated violence was more about survival, shooting while running away, its not an enemy to kill, its a enemy "playing monster"....

still, i wasn't going to burn any disgusting images in his had, when he watched anything with us he knew there will be points daddy or mommy will cover his eyes.

i was quite fine with him watching stuff which is less then educational like spongebob, but after reading some awesome research on bilingual congitive development i added a twist to it - it has to be in hebrew (also my native tongue).

as far as "sex" goes, he doesnt know that he knows about it, but its not a lot and theres not much too it - we weren't big on clothes, jumping into the bath tub was the simplest way to get him to want to have a bath, and watching me or his mother soap was how he learned to do it on his own properly.
    he also knows that he was once a baby who came from mommy's belly, which we had to specify because he initially interprerted it as coming out the way he knew other things in the belly go out and i didnt want him to think of himself as mommy's poop, but somehow explaining reality didn't seem to give him a better impression, rather he connected the facts that he knows - having grown bigger and bigger from a little baby - and the new information about his entry point into the world, to figure out that he was once the size of the entry point in order to come out of there, so now he was a baby "this tiny" as he showed with his fingers... so, i guess its more of a process.

to tell the truth, even knowing the day will once come, i think i was scared of it because rather then the usual explenation staring mommy and daddy, his story included a man who wasn't daddy and left mommy shortly after pregnancy to give birth to him alone before mommy ever met daddy... so, you know, its not exactly a family friendly story. my ex wife entertained the idea of just not telling him i am not his bio unless he asks, but i felt very uncomfortable with it, plus i sort of figured it will explode on us the moment he understands daddy's mostly middle eastern, momm'y white and his half chinese, and not being white himself, he is unlikely to do as my exwife does and throw anyone not clearly white or black into a large group she called "ethnic"...

now here's the thing: its entirely possible that if he was a kid of a different nature, i would have done every bit of it differently. i really dont think there's a formula that can help you figure out for every child.