User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Default Suburban Life May Make You Selfish

I don't really like the title, because I only think it captures part of the nature of the article, but it made you look, didn't it?

http://business.time.com/2012/07/09/...e-you-selfish/

Personally, I've enjoyed my experiences in cities quite a lot, and find them much more stimulating and enjoyable than small towns or rural areas. I find it unfortunate that Americans have seemingly undervalued and neglected urban areas for as long as they have.

What do you all think?

What bothers me most is that the whole home mortgage interest deduction thing exists and that there is no equivalent for those of us that will likely NEED to rent. I don't really buy into the whole suburban living thing, I couldn't physically keep up a house and lawn of my own if I wanted to, and I'm dealing with a government that endorses this sort of living scenario (and therefore implying that the sort of housing arrangement I will most likely end up in is somehow less deserving). In a nutshell, I'm paying for people to live in a manner that I do not have the ability to, and this arrangement seems unique to the country I currently reside in and am unlikely to be able to leave.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

I think the trend has actually been reversing. The cost of living in the more urban areas have been rising while renting or owning a house in the suburbs have been decreasing. Or at least, in my own city.

You can see the housing statistics discrepancies between urban and suburban living. Who lives in the urban area and why. Who used to live in a specific part of town, and etc. It usually cost more to live closer to the heart of downtown than to live 10-20 miles away from it.

An even bigger discrepancy is to compare San Francisco to my own city. The cost of living in urban SF is staggering compared to living in the the suburban and even urban parts of my city. For the last 20 years (not sure if people are still streaming to live over here,) many of them SFers have been moving over here for their living because it is that much cheaper than keeping up with the cost of urban SF.

At least, for me, I really don't mind living in the more urban areas (if I could afford the cost without having someone else tag along.) Speaking of my city, the urban portion tends to have more trees than the suburban area.... and more things to do to say the least.

I like it all. I think for now I am happy living in my apartment in the city and visiting the mountains or ocean for weekends or vacations.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Does this mean that people who live in rural areas are the biggest jerks of all?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Does this mean that people who live in rural areas are the biggest jerks of all?
    That does not sound right.

I have a friend who lives in a rural area... has crappy internet connection because the ISP don't want to speed up that area because it cost them too much money to do so.

It is quiet, but it is anything but grand.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

this article is silly
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    I don't really like the title, because I only think it captures part of the nature of the article, but it made you look, didn't it?

http://business.time.com/2012/07/09/...e-you-selfish/

Personally, I've enjoyed my experiences in cities quite a lot, and find them much more stimulating and enjoyable than small towns or rural areas. I find it unfortunate that Americans have seemingly undervalued and neglected urban areas for as long as they have.

What do you all think?

What bothers me most is that the whole home mortgage interest deduction thing exists and that there is no equivalent for those of us that will likely NEED to rent. I don't really buy into the whole suburban living thing, I couldn't physically keep up a house and lawn of my own if I wanted to, and I'm dealing with a government that endorses this sort of living scenario (and therefore implying that the sort of housing arrangement I will most likely end up in is somehow less deserving). In a nutshell, I'm paying for people to live in a manner that I do not have the ability to, and this arrangement seems unique to the country I currently reside in and am unlikely to be able to leave.
    I've lived in urban, suburban and now rural areas. I'll take the rural/small town/village living thank you. Our children are a large reason why we live here. Having raised children in a urban/large suburban area, I can say where we are now is a vast improvement. The school system is far better, lower crime, more job opportunity (yeah you read that right) and a bit slower pace, not a bad thing. Are you saying I shouldn't live here, work here and be a homeowner here because you can't be?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

I hate urban areas. And/or being around a lot of noise and people. I'm not rich, but mostly lived in suburbs my whole life. I'm not unsympathetic to kids dying from cancer. lol. But maybe I'm indirectly selfish. I don't go out of my way to be. I just don't interact enough. And I don't go out and do charity work. Funnily, I tried working at a homeless shelter once, and ended up aggravated and pushed around one of the bums there. Maybe I am an asshole. He had it coming though.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

In the Jungle
    Welcome to the Jungle

Sex, drugs and rock and roll/garage/rap/bashment/whatever... I thought I was in the Suburbs, when I was a kid, I really did, turns out it's not; ohwell, you live, you learn.

You get spoilt brats in the suburbs who can be crooks too and you get cheeky cocky ones and onettes who can be sneaky bastards too, in the urbs; and loud and sh*t/stuff too, gets you thinking about the community in weird ass selfish ways like
    'allow it you're loud'
    if a group of loud kids walk past your house with drama and mayhem and even laughing at some really evil/f*cked up sh*t/stuff or just loud in general with their little gangster selfs.

I like it though, kids are stupid, or really smart, but they all crack me up, make me laugh, even if they bring world war 3 which rarely happens.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's happening in Philly
    They are regentrifying where I grew up- all of a sudden these 2-3 story rowhomes' values jump from the $x0,000s to the X00,000s. I'm walking distance from Boat house Row and Kelly drive.

I also agree about the selfish/lack of empathy part. Corporate America does that. I can talk about the great time I had at the bar over the weekend, but we have to gloss over the fact that a good friend of mines died of cancer and his memorial service happened. The article has a point.