User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    My husband has an office in a major city that collects city taxes from people employed in that city. He is at is office one day a month at most. He also pays for parking when he is there, it's not provided in a lot or reimbursed by his office.
    don't you think you should have mentioned this, so you didn't look like a dick? for all i know you could have been going to the city every day.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Ireland isnt like the US, there isnt the same big built up metropolitan cities, even in some parts of the cities its almost like being in a village and a bunch of villages or townships have just grown up together and its been called a city, the town planning in the ROI is way worse than in the North too, apart from what appears to have been a general rule in most of the places that their northside is were the social housing is and poorer people live and the southsides are more up market and for rich people.

I've got to say that I grew up in a detached house, it was one of a row opening onto a pavement and road, when we moved to a house which had a lawn out front and garden space out back and no houses on any side immediately I really found it was a big, big improvement. I could and did see to the upkeep of the lawn and garden for a while and liked that, its something I would still see to but for the fact there has been so many arguments about it that I now wont take anything to do with it in order to avoid that.

I've lived in what passes for cities twice, Dublin and Derry, Dublin was probably closer to being a city in the US sense but it would still be smaller I guess, I've never lived in belfast and hate even driving there, the roads and toleration of drivers on them is bad, bad, bad and I've only ever driven there and it with good co-pilot navigators. I'm in awe of the people who've grown up there and just drive around without difficulty and arent stressed by the spontaneous bad driving you'd not find anywhere else, bad as in discourteous, impatient and rude, cars pulling out and seeking to drive around or in front of other cars which they dont believe are driving with the speed or prowess they could, I'm really surprised there's not more accidents. Belfast is also the one city in which I've experienced street crime and squalor of the urban dystopia or urban ghetto variety. Its probably as bad in other cities but its unseen. Belfast is also the only place that myself or my brothers have been in proper fights in our adult lives or been properly violently assaulted without warning.

So, I dont think that cities or urbanity has anything to recommend it. Give me the countryside of suburbs any day of the week.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Ireland isnt like the US, there isnt the same big built up metropolitan cities, even in some parts of the cities its almost like being in a village and a bunch of villages or townships have just grown up together and its been called a city, the town planning in the ROI is way worse than in the North too, apart from what appears to have been a general rule in most of the places that their northside is were the social housing is and poorer people live and the southsides are more up market and for rich people.

I've got to say that I grew up in a detached house, it was one of a row opening onto a pavement and road, when we moved to a house which had a lawn out front and garden space out back and no houses on any side immediately I really found it was a big, big improvement. I could and did see to the upkeep of the lawn and garden for a while and liked that, its something I would still see to but for the fact there has been so many arguments about it that I now wont take anything to do with it in order to avoid that.

I've lived in what passes for cities twice, Dublin and Derry, Dublin was probably closer to being a city in the US sense but it would still be smaller I guess, I've never lived in belfast and hate even driving there, the roads and toleration of drivers on them is bad, bad, bad and I've only ever driven there and it with good co-pilot navigators. I'm in awe of the people who've grown up there and just drive around without difficulty and arent stressed by the spontaneous bad driving you'd not find anywhere else, bad as in discourteous, impatient and rude, cars pulling out and seeking to drive around or in front of other cars which they dont believe are driving with the speed or prowess they could, I'm really surprised there's not more accidents. Belfast is also the one city in which I've experienced street crime and squalor of the urban dystopia or urban ghetto variety. Its probably as bad in other cities but its unseen. Belfast is also the only place that myself or my brothers have been in proper fights in our adult lives or been properly violently assaulted without warning.

So, I dont think that cities or urbanity has anything to recommend it. Give me the countryside of suburbs any day of the week.
    It is shocking to move to a more rural area after living in a 3 million + people metropolitan area your entire life. The lack of traffic was so odd and strange to me, it's easy to become accustomed to that and no longer remember how to drive in traffic. Is it better here? Sure it is but I still have a hard time with "civilization" being 30 minutes away.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    It is shocking to move to a more rural area after living in a 3 million + people metropolitan area your entire life. The lack of traffic was so odd and strange to me, it's easy to become accustomed to that and no longer remember how to drive in traffic. Is it better here? Sure it is but I still have a hard time with "civilization" being 30 minutes away.
    I love a thirty minute commute, its not a bad distance, I did mark the different after the move because I used to hear night time traffic all the time at my old house and since we live on a cul de sac now there's not much of it.