First 123 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

And people living in non-suburban areas aren't just as selfish?

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by ceecee View Post
    Are you saying I shouldn't live here, work here and be a homeowner here because you can't be?
    Nope. I'm saying the government shouldn't be giving you an extra break (through the home mortgage interest deduction) simply because you're already well off enough that you can be.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by wheelchairdoug View Post
    Nope. I'm saying the government shouldn't be giving you an extra break (through the home mortgage interest deduction) simply because you're already well off enough that you can be.
    Yeah...I'm not too concerned about middle class families having a little more money to spend, even if it is "unfair". That's pretty far down on my list of priorities.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Do you really think the mortgage interest deduction makes up for the 20k or so in taxes we pay, including city tax in a city we don't even live in, only work in? Why is that fair?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Do you really think the mortgage interest deduction makes up for the 20k or so in taxes we pay, including city tax in a city we don't even live in, only work in? Why is that fair?
    I didn't say it was. However, I'm sure there are renters in your situation as well- think of how much worse their situation is. And either way, how is a benefit received due to federal housing-related policy in any way related to the- or supposed to alleviate- the unfairness of city tax policy?

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yeah...I'm not too concerned about middle class families having a little more money to spend, even if it is "unfair". That's pretty far down on my list of priorities.
    This is probably where our approaches differ. I'm planning on being middle class, but with my physical disability and all, I'll probably need to stay in a renting situation. So for me, it's about the middle class guy having less to spend (and getting screwed over once again, blah blah etc.) , and so it's pretty far up there on my list.

-Roger Waters

Johari Nohari

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

What country do you live in? I don't pay anything close to 20K. When I was married, we paid 1K fed taxes per year and my ex had close to a 6 figure income.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    yupp

ok you work in the city you use their roads and infastructers but don't think you should pay a tax? please explain to me how that works
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

This is probably where our approaches differ. I'm planning on being middle class, but with my physical disability and all, I'll probably need to stay in a renting situation. So for me, it's about the middle class guy having less to spend (and getting screwed over once again, blah blah etc.) , and so it's pretty far up there on my list.
    This only makes no sense unless you're in a "misery loves company" state of mind.

I think corporate corruption and overseas outsourcing are bigger problems to focus on. Call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    ok you work in the city you use their roads and infastructers but don't think you should pay a tax? please explain to me how that works
    She doesn't use the roads and infrastructure as much as people who live there.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    My husband has an office in a major city that collects city taxes from people employed in that city. He is at is office one day a month at most. He also pays for parking when he is there, it's not provided in a lot or reimbursed by his office. We pay taxes to the township where we live, of course. I have no issue with the volunteer fire department and the roads are well kept by the county. We live on a private road and paid for the paving of that road (along with some other residents. Some portions are gravel since some did not elect to pave) as well as snow removal. We pay for our own trash pickup as well.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.