User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Those gosh darn uptight midwesterners

I agree with my fellow Michiganers that overall we're a decent people. The older I get, the more attached I become to the people here.

So to all those who condemn us as being uptight and so on, well....

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I've not heard uptight. I have heard boring and bland, and I've also heard provincial which I think could lead to uptightness. Mostly I hear uptight to refer to New Englanders, e.g. pinchy-faced Connecticut types.
    "provincial"? That's pretty condescending...probably came from an uptight New Englander

stereotypes of midwesterners: polite, hardy, hardworking, straightforward, traditional values....combined with the relative lack of crime, pollution, and superAIDs might lead outsiders to perceive us as boring and provincial
    I don't wanna!

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    I don't know if you are responding to me, but I live in the region as well.

(A lot of these stereotype questions come from not knowing what people in other parts of the country tend to think.)

(also, Remember the first post again, please do not write a bunch of posts to explain whether the stereotypes are true or not.)
    Well, at least you are giving the non-midwesterners some data to work with.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

People here in in SE Michigan are generally a very nice bunch though I would say they are more conservative and traditional than where I grew up - Toronto, CA.

Free-Rangin' Librarian Array Jae Rae's Avatar

I live in California and don't know anyone who thinks of Texas as the Midwest. Texas exists unto itself.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    Has anyone else heard of this as a stereotype? I have heard "midwestern uptightness" in an expression once, but never anywhere else (Most of the time midwest stereotypes seem to come in the "boring", "bland", etc., variety.)
    I've lived in Michigan (and a few other midwestern states) for most of my life and I've yet to hear that we're uptight.

Some stereotypes which have been mentioned around me regarding the midwesterner are: racist, capitalistic-pig, redneck, pseudo-intellectuals, Nader-babies.

Apparently, we inspire originality in insults.

In the Middle of Minnesota, the humans have what is called Minnesota nice. They will go out of their way to help - if you ask. It is very common for eye contact to be made. Greetings are mandatory when one party does not want to be viewed as a threat. There are many factions in small towns. Small talk consists of gas prices, and weather. The humans here will say hi when passing by on a sidewalk. 3/4 humans here will return a greeting. Family values, religious values and personal values are very important, but they are not forced on another unless one is very vocal.

I have another name for it. Diplomacy.
    I'm the Councilor, I'll be watching you.

Permabanned Array

Moved the New York posts to their own thread.

Again, don't come in just to write about how much people in a the region fit the stereotype or not.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson Array

Why do you care so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I live in California and don't know anyone who thinks of Texas as the Midwest.
    Yeah. I think Texas is part of the south or the west......southwest, even.

According to wikipedia, the dark red (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio) are usually included in descriptions, maps, etc. of the midwest.. While part or all of the striped states (Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia) may or may not be included. edit: though I tend to think of North Dakota as an extension of Greater Minnesota.
    I don't wanna!