User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Maybe traditional and conservative but not uptight. Born and raised in Michigan. SE to be exact. It's quite liberal here (Detroit/Ann Arbor). I will say that the west coast of Michigan is much less so and much more regulated by religious values (such as not being open/doing no business of any kind on Sundays. Suicidal for their success but..whatever), and much more conservative views than here. I do call a friend of mine a Bland Michigander but that has more to do with her unwillingness to venture out of her food comfort zone than anything else.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    People seem to be pretty down to earth, casual, and friendly in general. It's not the southern hospitality friendliness of the south, but more of a "Good fences make good neighbors" sort of thing.
    That's a good way to put it, Cafe.

Just to flesh out my earlier message:

My wife's got nothing against gays or Latinos per se. Those were just examples. She has had both as friends. On the individual and personal level, she'll come to love and defend anyone and consider them family.

It's just that she is more guarded on the level of "culture clash." If a group with a different culture asserts itself, she'll perceive that negatively. I guess she figures that life is tough enough without people getting in each other's faces and making a lot of demands for change or disrupting the peace in general. In that sense, she can look negatively at just about any group: right-wingers, left-wingers, fundies, atheists, blacks, whites, young people, old people, etc.

Hence a certain amount of "uptightness" in her views--she's quicker than me to see danger in differences. She prefers assimiliation and a common understanding of decency and reasonable conduct. (At least, that's how I perceive her attitude.)

On the religious level, she's very liberal. She fully expects gays and atheists and Hindus, etc. to get into heaven as quickly and easily as anyone else. To her, God doesn't penalize classes of people. If you do your best to show love to others and do right by them, you'll go to heaven. Hell is reserved for wrongdoers--deliberate exploiters and abusers. To her, religion is very individual and personal. (Again, that's just her views; I'm an atheist myself.)

heart on fire

Those gosh darn uptight midwesterners

Yes, dag nabbit, I have heard this stereotype referred to, all the time in Calf, it makes a nice alternative to the usual "good ol' boy redneck" or "fundie" stereotypes.

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Those gosh darn uptight midwesterners

Yes, dag nabbit, I have heard this stereotype referred to, all the time in CA, it makes a nice alternative to the usual "good ol' boy redneck" or "fundie" stereotypes.
    Perhaps it's a relative term, Californians might view uptight differently to a new yorker?

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Perhaps it's a relative term, Californians might view uptight differently to a new yorker?
    Many Californians seem to need to think they are the only state in the union that is able to have any fun whatsoever, which is strange seeing as one usually needs two or three jobs to be a homeowner. All work and no play sort of thing.

They seem to have special disgust for the midwest, Texas in particular. Just my personal experience here though, someone else might vehemently deny this.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Many Californians seem to need to think they are the only state in the union that is able to have any fun whatsoever, which is strange seeing as one usually needs two or three jobs to be a homeowner. All work and no play sort of thing.
    Maybe the "uptightness" view in some areas relates to the "People from the midwest work hard" stereotype that I have heard exists in some businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    They seem to have special disgust for the midwest, Texas in particular.
    I guess a lot of them have quite an unusual view of what the "midwest" region would be.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

People do seem to value hard work and a lot of people have the attitude that you do not have to love your work, you just have to do it. It's supposed to be work, after all. You work hard so when you are off work, you have the money to do what you enjoy. Real work (blue collar work) is valued more than most other kinds of work, especially for men. My family, for instance, never thought of my husband as really working until he started driving a truck.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

I'm from CA, and the only people we generally severely dislike are New Yorkers, because they're assholes. It's more of a feel-sorry-for thing with midwesterners, not anti-midwest sentiment, aside from calling it all "flyover country". I solidly dislike most easterners from the BosWash area, that's about all I can say consistently.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INFP

You will find what you look for.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    People do seem to value hard work and a lot of people have the attitude that you do not have to love your work, you just have to do it. It's supposed to be work, after all. You work hard so when you are off work, you have the money to do what you enjoy. Real work (blue collar work) is valued more than most other kinds of work, especially for men. My family, for instance, never thought of my husband as really working until he started driving a truck.
    I don't know if you are responding to me, but I live in the region as well.

(A lot of these stereotype questions come from not knowing what people in other parts of the country tend to think.)

(also, Remember the first post again, please do not write a bunch of posts to explain whether the stereotypes are true or not.)