User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Yes they do. But those cultural considerations pretty squarely outside of the scope of the question.
    You should rephrase it in political jargon then. Like "what kind of foreign policy should America adopt?" Just my 2c.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    You should rephrase it in political jargon then. Like "what kind of foreign policy should America adopt?" Just my 2c.
    I thought I would get a greater level of thread participation this way.

Sorry if I mislead you.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

First of all, I think the burden that volunteer soldiers experience is voluntary, and something I'm pretty damn sure they are away of. If it's a pity that they are under so much stress and volunteer forces are spread too thin, then let us use that as an excuse to not go to wars capriciously.

As for the matter of deterring people from going to war with the draft, it's a tread of questionable worth. What if it doesn't deter people? Would getting into a stupid war with the draft instead even once be an unacceptably large cost? I can't say for sure, but I think there's a good chance it would be.

The other thing is, there is no democratic vote to go to war. The decision to go to war is made by legislators. It seems quite plausible that they could agree to go into a poorly chosen war even with a draft instated, especially since they are in enough of a privileged position that they could probably find a way to get their own children out of the draft if they pleased.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Toss out the all-volunteer military

Since the end of the military draft in 1973, every person joining the U.S. armed forces has done so because he or she asked to be there. Over the past decade, this all-volunteer force has been put to the test and has succeeded, fighting two sustained foreign wars with troops standing up to multiple combat deployments and extreme stress.

This is precisely the reason it is time to get rid of the all-volunteer force. It has been too successful. Our relatively small and highly adept military has made it all too easy for our nation to go to war — and to ignore the consequences.

The drawbacks of the all-volunteer force are not military, but political and ethical. One percent of the nation has carried almost all the burden of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, while the rest of us essentially went shopping. When the wars turned sour, we could turn our backs.

A nation that disregards the consequences of its gravest decisions is operating in morally hazardous territory. We invaded Iraq recklessly. If we had a draft, a retired general said to me recently, we probably would not have invaded at all.

If there had been a draft in 2001, I think we still would have gone to war in Afghanistan, which was the right thing to do. But I don’t think we would have stayed there much past the middle of 2002 or handled the war so negligently for years after that.

We had a draft in the 1960s, of course, and it did not stop President Lyndon Johnson from getting into a ground war in Vietnam. But the draft sure did encourage people to pay attention to the war and decide whether they were willing to support it.

Resuming conscription is the best way to reconnect the people with the armed services. Yes, reestablishing a draft, with all its Vietnam-era connotations, would cause problems for the military, but those could never be as painful and expensive as fighting an unnecessary war in Iraq for almost nine years. A draft would be good for our nation and ultimately for our military.

Thomas E. Ricks is a fellow at the Center for a New American Security and the author of “The Generals: American Military Command From World War II to Today,” forthcoming in October.

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I would make a rule that in peacekeeping missions, US forces can never account for more than 50% of the total force used. And I would prefer that number to be somewhere around 25%.
    Out of interest, do you know what it presently averages?
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Falcarius View Post
    Out of interest, do you know what it presently averages?
    No. But I could probably find out.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

America should annihilate all other nations that are not evil Luciferian Freemasons plotting a New World Order starting with the 2012 Olympics!

I think America should provide high quality entertainment among other things.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    I think America should provide high quality entertainment among other things.
    Today entertainment is politics, that's why I put my subversive site, "Wikileaks and Poetry", in the Arts and Entertainment Forum.

"Let me entertain you", I sing my siren song, putting your critical mind to sleep, anaesthetised upon a table, while I rearrange your very senses.

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

America is too rural, it's like one big farm inbetween New York City and Los Angeles, but then, I am from London so, forgive me for thinking that... Sure, you get cities in the middle, like Philadelphia, DC, Detroit and Chicago, but as a whole, the culture is kinda rural; sort of.