First 678910 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I shall never submit to a nation founded on blood and freemasonry! (like the United States)

I don't give a hoot about the deist grand architect of the universe the founding fathers believe in, Lucifer, the lightbearer? This is evil. Our one savior is Yeshua!

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Here, we baked you a pav.

We might have poisoned it... but only with roo poo.

ACTA is dead on 4th of July! Quite ironic, really.

4th of July has significance in Europe now!

Permabanned

yay...pretty lights in the sky...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

It's still strange to me that the 4th of July is considered the official date... nothing actually happened on that day.

It should be July 2... except for New York. You bastids took two extra weeks! Slackers!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I've never been impressed with any argument that the USA is the best country in the world.

But just in case we think this is all about the US, I should mention that I don't like nationalism or patriotism anywhere, and on the occasions that I've received a patriotic lecture from a Brazilian, a Finn, or someone Japanese, I've made at least some attempt to disabuse them of their delusions as well.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've never been impressed with any argument that the USA is the best country in the world.

But just in case we think this is all about the US, I should mention that I don't like nationalism or patriotism anywhere, and on the occasions that I've received a patriotic lecture from a Brazilian, a Finn, or someone Japanese, I've made at least some attempt to disabuse them of their delusions as well.
    Given that in this situation one would define best in whatever way they would need to in order for their home country to qualify, I would say that it would be impossible to come to any conclusion as to which country is the best.

That being said the US is the most powerful, and our consumers serve as the marketplace for many of the worlds products.

There is nothing wrong with reasonable nationalism, and patriotism requires no restraint at all.

To quote John Adams:
    King George III: There is an opinion among some people, Mr. Adams, that you are not the most attached of all your countrymen to the manners of France?
    John Adams: [laughs] Yes, well, I avow to Your Majesty, that I have no attachment to any country but my own.
    King George III: An honest man will never have any other.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I love my country and am very patriotic. I enjoy seeing people from other countries be patriotic about their country as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    There is nothing wrong with reasonable nationalism, and patriotism requires no restraint at all.
    The subjectivity of this word amuses me and patriotism is a poorly defined and largely misused word.

Nationalism means different things to different people and everyone has separate ideals. Modern patriotism forces people to conform to a singular ideal filled with projections.

One can argue that patriotism also includes never turning a blind eye to one's country's problems, even on national days. Those people who refuse to shoot fireworks and get caught up in celebrations and even choose to protest on a National Day are no less patriotic than those who wave flags and throw confetti.

It's a different kind of patriotism, but if the heart is in the right place - i.e. promotion of moving a country in a positive direction - then they are equally patriotic.