User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

How unpatriotic. This country was built on pissing people off.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I went on a 50 mile bike ride from ballard to to redmond and back.
    then to a friend's house, eat steak, salmon, beer, etc; no one mentioned america. I skipped fireworks, went home and read then went to bed.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't think acknowledging that the US has flaws is necessarily bashing it. Part of the freedom we so dearly love is the freedom to criticize our own country... not all nations have that freedom. I don't see why we shouldn't exercise it.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I don't think acknowledging that the US has flaws is necessarily bashing it. Part of the freedom we so dearly love is the freedom to criticize our own country... not all nations have that freedom. I don't see why we shouldn't exercise it.
    Which is why I said:

One can't argue that turning a blind eye to the problems of the country is Patriotism. If you were to argue that, the problem would be with your understanding of Patriotism, not Patriotism itself.

Patriotism means having love for your country, and the willingness to fight for whats right for that country regardless if whether what's right agrees with what the current government is doing.

Choosing to protest can be patriotic as long as you believe your fighting for what's in the best interest of the nation.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle View Post
    I agree that the U.S. has flaws; I would never deny such... However, I think there is a time and place for everything, and I think there is a better one for this...

Everybody stood in the pouring rain to watch the fireworks last night. It was pretty fun.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Everybody stood in the pouring rain to watch the fireworks last night. It was pretty fun.
    That actually does sound like fun. Rain and fireworks, that would be an awesome combination.

Around here personal fireworks were banned because it was too dry, and it was like 100 degrees with high humidity last night. We basically just stayed in our house and watched fireworks from here, but I really wish we had been able to go see them up close.

I really think Mark T. Mitchell hits the nail on the head as far as the difference between true patriotism and annoying American Exceptionalism.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/20...xceptionalism/

The American Exceptionalists are the mirror image of the Jacobins, for both willingly blind themselves to reality: the one pretends there are no faults and the other that the faults are fatal. Both fail to treat the state justly.

American Exceptionalism all too often manifests itself in a blind and grating arrogance laced with jingoism. True patriotism, on the other hand, is rooted in a deep sense of gratitude, which gives birth to humility and acts of stewardship. Patriotism loves the good, though inevitably imperfect, gift we have inherited. It works with diligence and affection to improve that which is loved and to pass it on intact and perhaps even improved to the next generation. A patriot is a loving steward, continually mindful of debts to both the past and the future.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I really think Mark T. Mitchell hits the nail on the head as far as the difference between true patriotism and annoying American Exceptionalism.

http://www.frontporchrepublic.com/20...xceptionalism/
    Great quote.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Within View Post

I believe you meant, "America, Fuck Yeah!"
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.