User Tag List

12 Last

Default Random Acts of Anonymous Kindness

We don't know who started this. We don't care. Make sure nobody traces this message back to us, but go ahead and spread the word.

Here is how you can participate:
    1)Do something good for someone else. Try to make it is something that will really help that person.
    2)Do your best to make sure nobody finds out who did it.
    3)Do it with no agenda in mind other than for helping this one person out. Try your best to make sure no identifiable political movement is associated with it.

Simple right? Have a go!

Thoughts?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

WAITAMINUTE YOU WANT ME TO BE NICE FOR NO REASON? i DON'T HAVE TIME TO PAY IT FORWARD AND WAIT FOR KARMA TO PAY ME BACK LATER. I NEED TO GET PAID NOW MAN.
    1+1=3 OMFG

I think the idea is to be kind, with no possible way for the act to materially benefit you.

I don't think doing it for karma or grace really works either.

Just see what it feels like to do something kind. No "oh, you're great," no, "look what this person did".

Nothing. Other than you yourself knowing you did something good for someone else.

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTP

The inherent problem is that any act of anonymous kindness can be rationally (if not entirely accurately) explained as an act of self-interest. This is especially the case if one is self-conciously carrying out said act of anonymous kindness.

Why is someone rationally (if not entirely accurately) explaining your anonymous act of kindness a problem?

Why does someone else explaining your actions, with no information about who you are, affect, in any way, why you actually did what you did?

Robot Fusion

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Why is someone rationally (if not entirely accurately) explaining your anonymous act of kindness a problem?

Why does someone else explaining your actions, with no information about who you are, affect, in any way, why you actually did what you did?
    Its not someone else who is explaining it, but rather a part of my 'self'. The problem is that I would like to think that anonymous acts of kindness on my part are for someone else's benifit, but the reality is that any non-sociopath derives some degree of personal pleasure from helping someone else, as well as pride from not deriving material or social benifit from such acts, so I cannot objectively demonstrate to my own satisfaction that altruism (personal or societal) exist.

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Its not someone else who is explaining it, but rather a part of my 'self'. The problem is that I would like to think that anonymous acts of kindness on my part are for someone else's benifit, but the reality is that any non-sociopath derives some degree of personal pleasure from helping someone else, as well as pride from not deriving material or social benifit from such acts, so I cannot objectively demonstrate to my own satisfaction that altruism (personal or societal) exist.
    Well, I don't think it matters whether altruism exists or not, or whether you derive your own satisfaction from it or not.

We are self-motivated beings. We experience joy an pleasure from fulfilling biological imperatives.

What does it say, then, if we derive joy from helping someone else with no material gain for ourselves? Does it not then say that helping others is then a biological imperative, just like eating, and sexual acts.

Selfishness is another thing entirely--feeling good about helping others does not make us selfish.

Robot Fusion

WALMART

i do this like 24/7.

example: tonight, a girl walking in front of me at the bar bumped her shoulder on a chair. i pushed the chair in under the table.

yadda, yadda, yadda.

I love doing this. It is the only way I feel comfortable giving to others as I dont want them to feel that they owe me anything for helping them.

MBTI
    xNFP
    Enneagram

I strive toward this type of giving, but part of me hates to give with no hope of appreciation in return. Sigh. This type 2 needs to integrate so she doesn't feel so selfish