User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For those Americans who did not buy into the consumption craze during the bubble, and decided to save/invest, it does.
    I pretty much got out of high school the year the warning signs started and was on my second year the year it imploded.

How does the stock market affect me? Not tremendously because it was one of the problems that is exasperating the problem. Even though the stock market went up, the problems are still exasperated. A good economy really does not mean all is well.

The students of 2012? Many of them will not be able to get into a college even with a 4.0 GPA because the college is just that packed.
    Classes are still being cut. Institutions in College is still being cut. Professors are still being cut.
    At the same time, CEO pay is still going up. Chancellor pay is still going up. Money still isn't going around.
    Those that graduated recently may have to wait a while before being able to get a job.
    Those that graduated during this recession will never receive their full pay of what they could of earned before and after this mess.

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    I pretty much got out of high school the year the warning signs started and was on my second year the year it imploded.

How does the stock market affect me? Not tremendously because it was one of the problems that is exasperating the problem. Even though the stock market went up, the problems are still exasperated. A good economy really does not mean all is well.

The students of 2012? Many of them will not be able to get into a college even with a 4.0 GPA because the college is just that packed.
    Classes are still being cut. Institutions in College is still being cut. Professors are still being cut.
    At the same time, CEO pay is still going to. Chancellor pay is still going up. Money still isn't going around.
    Those that graduated recently may have to wait a while before being able to get a job.
    Those that graduated during this recession will never receive their full pay of what they could of earned before and after this mess.
    If a student has a 4.0 I would be amazed if s/he was denied admission into college (provided applications were sent to a variety of institutions). In my opinion, those hardest hit are stupid people, lazy people, people with skills which aren't marketable, and the people without much business savvy.

In the course of the last two years I:
    1) Decided upon a major and career which would give me high satisfaction, employability, and job security.
    2) Got accepted into a college for that major.
    3) Got college paid for by the government.
    4) Graduated Summa Cum Laude
    5) Received a job offer before graduation making good money.

I've been lucky because I was gifted with a strategic mind and marketable skills. If someone isn't succeeding, he or she needs to think strategically or get help from a friend who can.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

@Rail Tracer they'll be able to get into a college, but possibly not the prestigious private schools that are apparently the only "real" colleges these days. Unfortunately, we're stuck with a bad economy. All the lifetime earning reduction statistic means is that we won't get much sympathy from those who started out when times were good, because they won't understand. It does not mean we were deprived of something that we were otherwise entitled to. The thing to take from this is the understanding of whose interests are aligned with your own. Keep it focused on your scope of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    If a student has a 4.0 I would be amazed if s/he was denied admission into college (provided applications were sent to a variety of institutions). In my opinion, those hardest hit are stupid people, lazy people, people with skills which aren't marketable, and the people without much business savvy.

In the course of the last two years I:
    1) Decided upon a major and career which would give me high satisfaction, employability, and job security.
    2) Got accepted into a college for that major.
    3) Got college paid for by the government.
    4) Graduated Summa Cum Laude
    5) Received a job offer before graduation making good money.

I've been lucky because I was gifted with a strategic mind and marketable skills. If someone isn't succeeding, he or she needs to think strategically or get help from a friend who can.
    Depends, some jobs pay well, but tend to take a while to fill (have to think about location.) Some jobs, you can get easily, but pay crap. It is sort of like comparing a Civil Engineer to an Electrical Engineer.

Generally, college has been packed beyond imagination. The day I started to what is happening right now? There is just too much people to allow for anybody (even with a high GPA,) to get in. I'm only lucky because I was in before any mess occurred. I do know of a person that have spent her senior year looking for scholarships to fully pay for her (first year) of Berkeley.

There are other reasons why some don't want to choose the least resisted path even with a 4.0+ gpa, but that depends on the person. I know of a guy that went to UCSF and did just fine, but the cost to live around SF was... staggering even with scholarships. So he transferred to a less prestigious school to get that same degree.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, you know Roberts is a conservative; why do you think he went the direction he did with this? .
    Krauthammer has a plausible explanation, but I don't know how accurate it is (and its doubtful that we'll ever know): http://www.nationalreview.com/articl...es-krauthammer

Frankly, if Krauthammar's speculation is correct, I have even less respect for John Roberts than I did this morning. Attempting to uphold the percieved legitimacy of the Supreme Court is not an acceptable reason to put forth the deciding vote of a hugely important decision that one doesn't truly agree with, IMO.

On a side note, It'll be interesting to see what public opinion on the SCOTUS will be after this decision....its possible that all Roberts achieved on that front is the alienation of both liberals/Democrats (from Bush v. Gore) and conservatives/Republicans, with only independents/moderates holding a (casually) positive opinion of the institution.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Fuck Obamacare

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

One thing I'd ask though, is it really called Obamacare? The reforms Roosevelt introduced didnt end up as Rooseveltcare or Roosewelfare or anything like that.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Great One View Post
    Fuck Obamacare
    I wonder if you have not entitlement for taking that position. That would be interesting.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    One thing I'd ask though, is it really called Obamacare? The reforms Roosevelt introduced didnt end up as Rooseveltcare or Roosewelfare or anything like that.
    It's the "Affordable Care Act" or ACA. I'm not completely sure where Obamacare came from, other than the fact that he pushed it... A lot...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wonder if you have not entitlement for taking that position. That would be interesting.
    Well, from what I read, I don't like how Obama plans on implementing it. However, I'm not really sure if have all the details of how it's going to work hammered out yet, so let's see what happens.