User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I have to admit, I was surprised Roberts shifted. I want to see the actual lines of reasoning now... kind of curious.
    Waking up... to see one of the most conservative Justices voting for the ACA is.... shocking.

5 to 4 is still a very bad number whether it is being ruled constitutional or not. It is like all the other Culture War cases in this magnitude. This.Thing.Will.Not.Go.Away.Because.People.Make.It .A.Huge.Issue. It is a decision that gives uncertainty. I'd rather SCOTUS give us a near certain answer instead of an uncertain answer. It does not ease the fact that the majority of constitutional/unconstitutional is still near party line.

The only thing I do like about this bill is that it covers minors to parents until they hit the age of 26 (considering most of us can't even afford healthcare ourselves due to every other things to have to try and pay for.)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    The stock market (unsurprisingly) tanked today.
    I stopped giving a f-ck what the stock market did years ago. It has no real bearing on the prosperity of average Americans.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I stopped giving a f-ck what the stock market did years ago. It has no real bearing on the prosperity of average Americans.
    Of course not. It only represents the health of our economy.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Of course not. It only represents the health of our economy.
    It used to represent the health of the economy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

It used to represent the health of the economy.
    Word it however you want. If the stock market takes a big enough hit, you will be affected in some way.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

For those Americans who did not buy into the consumption craze during the bubble, and decided to save/invest, it does.

MBTI
    FREE

I don't care much for the healthcare bill, mainly because I think we need a single payer system. In my mind there is no good reason why health insurance shouldn't be a publicly funded social welfare program. However, I have hope that ObamaCare is a step in the right direction. If not for republicans, I'm fairly sure that ObamaCare would have been better for everyone, but compromises screwed up the bill.

My analogy for political compromise

A democrat and a republican are chained together walking down a one lane desert road. On the right side of the road is a 1 ft shoulder with a sheer drop of 25 feet. On the left side of the road is a 1 ft shoulder with a sheer drop of 10 feet, but with mountain lions prowling around. As the two politicians are walking along a semi-truck, taking up the entire 1 lane road but not the shoulders, emerges from the horizon heading toward them at 60mph with no indication of slowing or noticing them. The democrat tries to go left, the republican right. They argue about which path is better... [insert funny dialogue here at your convenience] and eventually filibuster and "compromise" themselves into remaining in the "middle" of the road. They die. Fin.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good point. Sure the whole things rigged its what they're going to levy a fine on Barclays for.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For those Americans who did not buy into the consumption craze during the bubble, and decided to save/invest, it does.
    All 3 of them?

The stock market has regained almost everything it lost in 2008, yet companies are still not hiring. Wall Street investors are doing well (despite their whining), but regular people are struggling.

So when does the civil war start? Or, you know, are libertarians all talk after all?