First 61415161718 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well I don't plan to actively participate in this thread, because I honestly don't feel like pointlessly butting heads with a bunch of sheltered deluded people who have obviously never been poor, working class, or even lower middle class, so I'm just going to say:

I am enormously relieved.

defying your expectations SoraMayhem's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Well I don't plan to actively participate in this thread, because I honestly don't feel like pointlessly butting heads with a bunch of sheltered deluded people who have obviously never been poor, working class, or even lower middle class, so I'm just going to say:

I am enormously relieved.
    But Marm, what about those of us who are currently working class (and quite radically liberal at that ) whose only option now are to buy private healthcare, or be forced to pay a tax - and would then also be expected to pay any medical bills which we incurred? My fiance and I are young and are both independent contractors, only make about 42k a year combined, but we don't qualify even for the expanded Medicare program. Insurance with a $10,000 copay just isn't practical for us. And we have health conditions.

I believe I said earlier, I'm 100% in favor of health care reform, and this bill did some good things. But without even a public option, it's ludicrous.
    4w5-1w2-5w4 -- RLUAI -- Chaotic Good/Neutral

Johari -- Nohari

Ask me about my crippling social dysfunction!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    But Marm, what about those of us who are currently working class (and quite radically liberal at that ) whose only option now are to buy private healthcare, or be forced to pay a tax - and would then also be expected to pay any medical bills which we incurred? My fiance and I are young and are both independent contractors, only make about 42k a year combined, but we don't qualify even for the expanded Medicare program. Insurance with a $10,000 copay just isn't practical for us. And we have health conditions.

I believe I said earlier, I'm 100% in favor of health care reform, and this bill did some good things. But without even a public option, it's ludicrous.
    Really? You prefer going to the emergency room and buying antibiotics from Mexico?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Really? You prefer going to the emergency room and buying antibiotics from Mexico?
    A $10,000 deductible is nearly a fourth of our combined income. That is disastrous to us. Literally disastrous.

edit: Of course I wouldn't, in fact I've panicked quite a few times in the past few days wondering what I'm going to do. But I don't have options. Without a public healthcare system, or better yet a single-payer system, this is hugely disappointing.

Johari -- Nohari

MBTI
    FREE

Quote Originally Posted by raine_lynn View Post
    A $10,000 copy is nearly a fourth of our combined income. That is disastrous to us. Literally disastrous.

edit: Of course I wouldn't, in fact I've panicked quite a few times in the past few days wondering what I'm going to do. But I don't have options. Without a public healthcare system, or better yet a single-payer system, this is hugely disappointing.
    It isn't a copay, it's a deductible. This is how it would go down: You and your hubby pay ~120 bucks per month for a catastrophic loss plan (e.g. one with a $10,000 or so deductible and almost no special coverage like dental, doctor's visits, prescriptions, etc). Then, you live your life and hope that all the money you spend will be for nothing. However, if you or your husband do happen to have a major medical issue (one that costs tens of thousands of dollars), then your insurance will pay all above the deductible, and you will have to work out a payment plan to pay whatever the deductible is. Is it ideal? No, but $10k is a much more manageable debt than $100k+.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    It isn't a copay, it's a deductible. This is how it would go down: You and your hubby pay ~120 bucks per month for a catastrophic loss plan (e.g. one with a $10,000 or so deductible and almost no special coverage like dental, doctor's visits, prescriptions, etc). Then, you live your life and hope that all the money you spend will be for nothing. However, if you or your husband do happen to have a major medical issue (one that costs tens of thousands of dollars), then your insurance will pay all above the deductible, and you will have to work out a payment plan to pay whatever the deductible is. Is it ideal? No, but $10k is a much more manageable debt than $100k+.
    I corrected it just a moment ago. I do understand the concept, but we both have mental health conditions (which at times have required hospitalization - fortunately we're each more stable now but there's always a distinct possibility) and I myself have another health issue which also costs upward of $2,500 a year out-of-pocket. I'm on the birth control pill (and since I don't have children, doctors in my area refuse to insert a long acting and cost-efficient IUD) and we each have other monthly prescriptions. I agree that it is much more manageable, I just wish there were a better way.

Edit to amend: We're not yet married, so I'm covered under my father's insurance; I'll lose it when we get married in November. We actually already have contingency plans for when this happens, to pay for out current health care costs.

Johari -- Nohari

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Whyyyyyy?

Who gives a flying fuck what a bunch of slave-owning wannabe aristocrats think about government? They are dead and buried and don't live in our world. They aren't gods and their writings aren't scripture.
    While that's true I didnt realise right away that you were talking about the founding fathers a bunch of slave-owning aristocrat wannabes describes what I think of the Tea Party, I could qualify the "slave owning bit" by talking about wage slavery but I'm not going to bother, the one time I asked a bunch of libertarians about human trafficking they dodged and started talking some bullshit about communism.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Bottom line If the current private insurance and health care system doesn't change drastically I don't see how this is the big "win" that it's being touted as.
    Pretty much. Luckily, I think most people "feel" this to be true, but unluckily, this is the most "revolutionary" thing Congress could agree upon and that the Supreme Court could confirm as lawful.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    Fair enough. Although if I recall, the House version had a public option, and the Senate version removed it to get a filibuster proof majority.
    Though I remember that, too, yes.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Whyyyyyy?

Who gives a flying fuck what a bunch of slave-owning wannabe aristocrats think about government? They are dead and buried and don't live in our world. They aren't gods and their writings aren't scripture.
    Because the alternative is a judicial despotism based on the arbitrary whims of nine unaccountable lawyers, which tends to lead to unchecked federal power in the long-run. Oh, and I actually like things like federalism, limited (not to be confused with small) government, and separation of powers.