User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I think it's interesting to note that fantasies of dominance and submission are often inversely related to how much power a person really has. That is, an individual with considerable wealth and power is more likely to engage in submissive fantasies then some how is povety stricken. Anyone else remember Mrs. Whiplash and her pet MP?

Why? Because being submissive is a game - so long as you can put it down when you get tierd of it. Then the powerful person can go back to controlling a budget of millions, hire, firing and controling the world around them like it was made out of pastercine. When they feel like a break from such complete command they can find their domitor and go "Oooh, yes Mistrss" for few hours.

However, if you have no power, then submission becomes threatening because there is no guarantee you will be able to step out of it again. Powerlessness is an everyday reality as your boss beats on you to work faster and the bank manager is breathing down your neck. When you can't control anything else, slap your wife till she does as you say. Go on, you'll feel like a man again.
    Don't make whine out of sour grapes.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Anyway, I had hoped for a discussion about whether books and other sources of culture, especially those which are hyped or wildly popular, either reflect trends or create them, maybe also with some asides about the authoritarian or marketing personality or social character because I'm interested in that kind of thing. It didnt happen. Its not the first thread to disappoint this way.
    Isn't that your answer right there though? THIS is not how you opened the OP. You started off the hop with a position, even if not grossly stated, and throughout the thread, it seems you are attempting to support and DEFEND it, and not appearing to be OPEN to new information (or any information for that matter.)

This is why your threads generally fail, IME, or at the very least, aren't very satisfying to post in. I don't participate because your mind seems to be already made up.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    This is why your threads generally fail, IME, or at the very least, aren't very satisfying to post in. I don't participate because your mind seems to be already made up.
    +1.

If you don't like how people respond to you, it's usually more productive to think about why that might be rather than trying to force people to spit out answers you agree with.
    -end of thread-

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    Isn't that your answer right there though? THIS is not how you opened the OP. You started off the hop with a position, even if not grossly stated, and throughout the thread, it seems you are attempting to support and DEFEND it, and not appearing to be OPEN to new information (or any information for that matter.)

You'd only participate in a thread with someone who appeared to be indecisive and inconclusive in their thinking? Really?

I think part of the problem is that people arent sure that their opinion is going to be supported or they dont want it challenged, so they dont take part a lot of the time, or they think they might appear dumb. A lot of the threads on this forum, irrespective of what the hell is being discussed, appear to me in the dynamics which quickly follow to be people either attempting to save face or appear clever, if they cant appear clever by discussing the point they'll make fun of it, make fun of the poster, do something else in the same ballpark. I think its a shame and highlighted, in a none to different fashion, before by other posters, like Peguy and Take Five.

I dont know what you mean by fail though because I see a lot of posts in the threads I create, also a couple of posters make it their mission to try and wind me up, both of which are a far cry from the threads which I think are fails, ones which, deservedly or undeservedly draw no comment what so ever.

People are pretty blinkered, I think that's evidenced enough in the various "what I imagine posters look like" or "avatar suggestions" or whatever, consistently people have thrown up some pretty stereotyped and cliched images of mad preachers or religious figures for myself, that's a pretty dismissive and one dimensional view of me based upon a pretty superficial reading of my opinions. That's were people are coming from when they read and then respond to a lot of the discussions I start. I think its a shame. Although, like I've said before, it isnt something which attachs itself exclusively to me, there's always going to be a "loathed outgroup" or "other" from the look of things and different people stand in for that from time to time and for different reasons. It's interesting to see because it provides a kind of reflection of some sections of the community, I think its fair enough to say that because the same people DO strongly identify as members of particular communities or representatives of certain ideas/ideologies.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    +1.

If you don't like how people respond to you, it's usually more productive to think about why that might be rather than trying to force people to spit out answers you agree with.
    Physician, heal thyself.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm not the one complaining about responses to my threads.
    -end of thread-