First 34567 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    It just was something I thought about, in part because of all the feminism, anti-feminism threads, while the battle of the sexes was raging on the forum it sure seems like women have surrendered and capitulated without any sort of settlement in the real world, if the popularity of sales of the submissive women story was any true reflection of norms of women at large.

To be honest I've known this to be the case with women I've dated before now, the meaner toward them I was the keener they appeared, it was something for a long time I didnt want to believe about women, having heard it from some guys I thought were pretty mysogynistic and having read a lot of feminist books voicing opinions to the contrary too.
    Mhmm. It is not about being mean imo. Unless the girl has low self-esteem.

I hear what you're saying though. I think that trying to connect the dots about the implications of this leads to a cognitive state of hostility that will undercut the connection I think you seek.

There are ways of peacocking without devaluing others. Also, because many of these things are instinctual remnants from our evolutionary past and to some extent are not controllable esp. affectively it can allow one to sympathize with the experience of the opposite gender by sympathizing with the self and basic drives there that are also not controllable (but not inherent or universal per se).
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Mhmm. It is not about being mean imo. Unless the girl has low self-esteem.

I hear what you're saying though. I think that trying to connect the dots about the implications of this leads to a cognitive state of hostility that will undercut the connection I think you seek.

There are ways of peacocking without devaluing others. Also, because many of these things are instinctual remnants from our evolutionary past and to some extent are not controllable esp. affectively it can allow one to sympathize with the experience of the opposite gender by sympathizing with the self and basic drives there that are also not controllable (but not inherent or universal per se).
    Well, I know that when I discovered that submissive side it was the beginning of the end for those relationships, it often means that that individual needs something from me I'm not willing to give and over a longer term is just going to be draining. People who need domineering others as partners often lack something themselves or need to do work on themselves, it is similar to the highly dependent personality in so many ways.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, I know that when I discovered that submissive side it was the beginning of the end for those relationships.
    Yeah I know what you mean, I often want to beat up submissive men.

Oh wait, that's not what you said.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Yeah I know what you mean, I often want to beat up submissive men.

Oh wait, that's not what you said.
    No, I dont really want to beat up anyone Marms, certainly not people because they are submissive. Thanks for sharing in your usual self disclosing style though

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Well, I know that when I discovered that submissive side it was the beginning of the end for those relationships, it often means that that individual needs something from me I'm not willing to give and over a longer term is just going to be draining. People who need domineering others as partners often lack something themselves or need to do work on themselves, it is similar to the highly dependent personality in so many ways.
    I agree, but it varies with exposure to trauma. Here is an article related to a discussion I had in a sociology class once:

http://marriage.about.com/cs/stageso...riagemodel.htm

I think you tend more toward traditional as does @Marmie Dearest

It seems you are concerned with how to have your preference in a society that tends more toward companionate marriages.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I agree, but it varies with exposure to trauma. Here is an article related to a discussion I had in a sociology class once:

It seems you are concerned with how to have your preference in a society that tends more toward companionate marriages.
    My longest relationship was actually Romantic/Operatic.

Companionate marriages seem too politically driven to me, like it wouldn't be authentic for me at all, and the "brother-sister" aspect of it seems all too clear to me.

I would think if I were really THAT traditional, I'd already be a mother. And even if I do prefer for a man to be the primary breadwinner, it doesn't mean that I don't work at all, or that I value relationships where the partnership is only viewed as shared parenting.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, I dont really want to beat up anyone Marms, certainly not people because they are submissive. Thanks for sharing in your usual self disclosing style though

Is it time for your beating?

I realy dont know, I dont intend to marry, ever, my view of love is similar to that of Erich Fromm, people shouldnt look for the grand amore or soul searing love as celebrated in the romantic imagination as its often a cover for neurotic needs for affection or obssession or something like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    Is it time for your beating?
    I think you wish maybe but you got me confused with someone else.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I think you wish maybe but you got me confused with someone else.