User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI and the Anti-Enlightenment

It's important to say that MBTI is anti-Enlightenment.

If you would like to see how this struggle played out in history in Denmark, you can see the struggle for the Enlightenment portrayed in the movie, "A Royal Affair", out now, just click on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g11xkVjl7bM

The struggle for the Enlightenment in the 17th and 18th centuries was long, hard and heartbreaking. But how more heartbreaking and unbelievable to see it all thrown away for MBTI.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Yeah, "enlightenment".

Riva

Victor you throw around the word enlightenent a bit too much. What exactly do you mean by it?

Also, MBTI wasn't introduced as a grand scheme to destroy 'your so called enlightenment', Danes, Australians and the Jews.

Cut it some slack. And stop being so paranoid.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    IEI

What the fuck . . .

Ok, I'm pretty convinced that Victor is an INTJ in an NI-Fi loop, or something ot the sort.

MBTI isn't 'anti-enlightment'; rather it's just a theoretical construct unfounded by any reliable empirical data, that attempts to categorize and understand human psychology. Maybe the enlightment philosophers with their value of empiricism and science may have scoffed at the idea of MBTI, but that doesn't mean that MBTI is against all enlightenment ideals.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont think there's any need to be mean to Victor.

He does seem to have a serious need for a metanarrative, a water tight one too, from my recollections of posts over some time its important to him that the same metanarrative is anti-religious, anti-authority but at the same time providing what both of those things provide, in another time and place I figure he'd be arguing the finer points of dialectical materialism, here and now in our present cultural milieau Victor's a neo-liberal, probably in the same stead as Hitchens.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

anti this anti that blah bla blah, that is anti enlightenment. The classification of things into "boxes" is anti enlightnenment. The separation of people into classifications is anti enlightenment. MBTI is a tool but should not be seen as an absolute truth. People adhere it as a science and can't see outside the box into other possibilities, that is anti enlightenment
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

But yeh, how nice it would be for victor to actually say what he means to say
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    But yeh, how nice it would be for victor to actually say what he means to say
    That would defeat his purpose.

Likewise, if MBTI is truly threatening the centuries-old liberation of the Enlightenment, you'd think that message would deserve a much larger venue than a small type forum somewhere in the corner of the Internet. If you're gonna preach the End of the World, it'd make more sense to walk the streets of NYC with your sign than the corner of some podunk town in Iowa with a population of 432 people.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

THE END IS NIGH! hide yoh kids hide yoh wife!
    1+1=3 OMFG

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    anti this anti that blah bla blah, that is anti enlightenment. The classification of things into "boxes" is anti enlightnenment. The separation of people into classifications is anti enlightenment. MBTI is a tool but should not be seen as an absolute truth. People adhere it as a science and can't see outside the box into other possibilities, that is anti enlightenment
    I dont believe that Victor is talking about romanticism or the organised counter enlightenment of things like the RCC, I think its just a label for foes or an enemy list, the vile hoards of mordor etc. etc.