User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Default Kids these days....

After video got out, of an elderly lady (serving as a bus monitor) being verbally abused by punk 7th grade kids on a school bus somewhere in NY, somebody set up an online fundraiser to send her on a vacation. The fundraiser has 28 days to go, and has raked in over $600,000.

Video here (and donation on the right if you feel compelled):

http://www.indiegogo.com/loveforkarenhklein

Warning: the video will briefly overwhelm you with feelings of misanthropy.

MBTI
    ISTx

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/...130501672.html

Of course the kids are "sorry"... They were found out and are now at risk of having someone go King Kong on them.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Of course, what they did is obnoxious and stupid. However, I hardly see how this warrants $600,000 compensation. I mean, good for her, she earns a pittance, but she should get a fair wage to begin with and not merely get compensation for a vacation because some kids made fun of her. According to that standard, everyone who gets bullied by people should be millionaires.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Of course, what they did is obnoxious and stupid. However, I hardly see how this warrants $600,000 compensation. I mean, good for her, she earns a pittance, but she should get a fair wage to begin with and not merely get compensation for a vacation because some kids made fun of her. According to that standard, everyone who gets bullied by people should be millionaires.
    I don't think she'll be getting all that money.

Those kids are from my county. I've always hated the town they're from. I just hope this doesn't result in more stupid bullying legislation in NY.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    ISTx

Obviously most that get bullied will go unrecognized, but this brought further attention to the issue. What I like best about it, is that these little degenerate's behavior won't remain hidden from the eye of the public. These kid's parents know, the town knows, everyone associated in some form to these delinquents will see their character on display. It's all fun and games, until it becomes serious. I think it's a nice gesture that so many people have felt empathy for the lady and have donated. It shows that people do care, and it's not just some youtube video for people to look at and then move on. She's received a lot of support through emails, etc. and a good chunk of money with good intentions. No reason to hate on that, IMO. Let's differentiate between "compensation" and and acts of good will.

From a related article:
    "One student taunted: "You don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they don't want to be near you."

Klein's oldest son killed himself 10 years ago.

Eventually, she appears to break down in tears.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I find it interesting when people try to solve problems with money.

MBTI
    ISTx

I find it interesting when people try to solve problems with money.
    This initiative was spurred by a third party. This isn't the government or the school system trying to pay her off... Someone who saw the video and was also was bullied growing up threw together that web page encouraging anyone that wanted to, to help send her on a vacation. Is that bad?

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Those kids are from my county. I've always hated the town they're from. I just hope this doesn't result in more stupid bullying legislation in NY.
    Why is that? I don't even know what bullying legislation looks like, but I'm wondering what the downside is may be.

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Why is that? I don't even know what bullying legislation looks like, but I'm wondering what the downside is may be.
    It looks like this:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...-bullying-law/

The downside is further reliance on the state to punish and raise children instead of parents.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it