User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

The thing is, the adult really can't do anything except verbally reprimand them, while they're on the bus. Thanks to fear of legal reprimand.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    The thing is, the adult really can't do anything except verbally reprimand them, while they're on the bus. Thanks to fear of legal reprimand.
    Really, a "You need to stop this!" would get a legal reprimand?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    No. That's verbal.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

No. That's verbal.
    Oh. Sorry. What did you have in mind then?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I'm positive the kids would have only scoffed at her. It's too bad that the lady is obviously passive, and lacks any sort of aggressive (not physically aggressive) authority. However, even with a lady of that temperament, it would not have been overreacting in the slightest if she went up and talked to the bus driver and made arrangements to either a. bring the kids into the school to see the principal or b. made a phone call to the principal with the names of the kids and a rundown on what she was dealing with. It's too bad kicking the kids off of the bus altogether, right then and there, would result in a trial. Because that's what I would do if I could get away with it.

I don't think this is a legal problem. I would want the right to sue or press charges against someone who mistreated my child.

No, this is a community problem. State intrusion, among other things, has caused us to live in disconnected and transient non-communities. Adults who have supervision over children should have the authority to deal with them as need be. But, those same adults should also have the type of trusting relationship with the parents that would allow them to act in that way and not just a written waiver from parents they have never met.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    I don't think this is a legal problem. I would want the right to sue or press charges against someone who mistreated my child.

No, this is a community problem. State intrusion, among other things, has caused us to live in disconnected and transient non-communities. Adults who have supervision over children should have the authority to deal with them as need be. But, those same adults should also have the type of trusting relationship with the parents that would allow them to act in that way and not just a written waiver from parents they have never met.
    Ftr, this is why I'm hoping to send my kids to the same private school I went to where teachers and administrators are people I have known and loved for decades.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I got to say that's very mild in comparison to what I social workers regulalry put up with from the kids in their care, at least in residential settings that I've known.

What is so shocking about this video? Is it the disrespect for authority? The victimisation or bullying of someone by the group?

Those kids are all afraid that they'll be the target of the same sort of crap I'm betting and having a wail of a time making someone else feel, in an obvious and unmistakeable fashion, the emotions they cant handle or which they are afraid of. Its the exact same reason that a kid in kindergarden who just got pushed down doesnt sit and think, man, its shit getting pushed down, I'm sure not going to do that to anyone, no, they cant handle it so they push the next passing kid down and watch them get upset instead.

What I'm really interested in is why the hell this was recorded and who the hell is the camera man? The reason being that I've known this to take place in much more serious and much more volatile situations. For instance a kid has been working on an adult all day or for a significant period of time, possibly assaulted them or possibly assaulted another kid in their care then gets into a confrontation with the adult and films the response themselves or has someone else do it. Now unless that adult has zen master skillz and even if they do, that material could be framed in such a way through media which anyone can access or use, to make that individual, who has only been performing the duties of their job with some messed up individuals, a target in the community. That's serious and that's the angle I'd be looking at this from.

A lot of drama and rites of passage style confrontations with authority take on a real bad slant or bent when the high tech of the present day is brought into it and it can lead to some messed up memes or virals, in this instance it seems to have played out happily, the woman is getting a kick back from supporters for what she's suffered, which in a way is nice and some small consolation, what if that wasnt so? I definitely dont think that was what the "camera man" had in mind when he took the footage in the first place.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I agree, I also think that the state's involvement with things like parenting and caring can be a double edged sword, for what good it definitely can achieve is accompanied by performing in a less than authoritative manner which has ripple effects on wider social expectations of the authorities and outbreaks of mayhem like the rioting in London when anti-social elements really get a "badder than they are" idea about themselves.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Ftr, this is why I'm hoping to send my kids to the same private school I went to where teachers and administrators are people I have known and loved for decades.
    I think its a shame that its gotten to such a pitch that private schools are the only places which can operate like this or that this is the reason for sending children to private schools, rather than any strict academic criteria, although I think that schooling has failed to be anything like what it was once thought to be for in the first place.