User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    It looks like this:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...-bullying-law/

The downside is further reliance on the state to punish and raise children instead of parents.
    Will the state/nation turning a blind eye do anything to fix the problem of bad parenting though? Kids are still committing suicide due to this stuff, and if the parents aren't going to intervene (because they aren't) then who will? I'm personally not opposed to laws of this type.

Yup
    MBTI
    Istj

those teenagers are getting death threats huh? it seems that there is not a whole lot of sympathy going around for bullies these days, huh?
    "I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine. "
    -Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Will the state/nation turning a blind eye do anything to fix the problem of bad parenting though? Kids are still committing suicide due to this stuff, and if the parents aren't going to intervene (because they aren't) then who will? I'm personally not opposed to laws of this type.
    You're asking the wrong question and the phrasing of the question would justify just about any state action. Whenever the state turns a blind eye to anything it necessarily doesn't fix anything.

Will the state turning a blind eye to the american weight problem help keep Americans healthy?

The proper questions are:

1) Is this within the jurisdiction of the state? Too many Americans presume the state has a role in any situation where something goes wrong.
    2) Are there already laws that address this issue that simply need to be enforced? Simply adding new laws won't help if current laws that could be used in the situation aren't being enforced.
    3) If it is within state jurisdiction and isn't addressed by current laws can state action actually resolve the problem and what can we realistically expect the state to accomplish with new laws? No, legislation will actively turn bad parents into good parents. Although, I would argue remove the state from its current high level of responsibility for kids could indirectly make parents more responsible and active in their children's lives.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well bullying is a social norm, now. Even young adults on the Internet feel its culturally acceptable to bully each other, or to bully teenagers in you tube videos, I mean I think black comedy is funny, and everyone doesn't always have to act "super nice" (I don't) but why is it normative now to mock and bully people publicly?

I feel that this springs from a culture that says nothing is right or wrong, except that he with the most toys wins.

American culture and American adults have created these kids. I also blame things like overly permissive parenting, and helicopter parents, who thoroughly spoil their children and don't socialize them correctly, not realizing their cute little monster is going to grow up to be a beast someday.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'll say this: Some people's children.....
    And another: I have seen some immature things in my life, but this is one of the MOST immature things I have ever seen from middle schoolers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Will the state/nation turning a blind eye do anything to fix the problem of bad parenting though?
    Among other reasons, my biggest problem with legislation dealing with the behavior of kids is that it creates even more of a culture of dependence. Many parents are afraid to discipline their kids physically because of the law, but then people want legislation to punish kids (or their parents for not disciplining them).

The problem with laws is that no one ever wants them made to stop themselves from doing anything. It's always to stop other people from doing something. Because of this, no one ever thinks of the second and third order effects (including the members of the legislature, frequently).

I do think it's horrible that that woman had to put up with that, but I also get tired of hearing all of the shit, literally every day at work since this happened, about how good everyone was when they were a kid, and how they would never have even thought about doing something bad and these kids should be punished severely, as well as their parents. Get real. In reality, it seems to me that each generation gets away with significantly less than the previous generation, in terms of behavior.

The truth is, had the atmosphere been any different, most of those kids probably never would have done something like that.

Also, bullying is not a new cultural invention.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

I don't think nasty kids bullying people is a new phenomenon (especially middle-school kids).

What those kids did was awful, but unfortunately, it is not surprising.

That sort of thing happened on my bus rides to and from school to various people, including myself. Note, you are essentially trapped. There is nothing you can really do because it will take however long it takes to get home or to school.

I think it is perfectly OK for the bus monitor to receive money from people who want to help her retire. From what little I read of this lady, I wouldn't be surprised if she donated a good bit of it to an appropriate charity.

As far as anti-bullying laws, I think it is appropriate. Forty Nine states have adopted anti-bullying legislation. Just because bullying has been happening forever doesn't mean that laws are inappropriate.

If we had adults doing that sort of thing to co-workers, customers (unless the abuse is part of the theme and expected), or suppliers, harassment law would come into play. So I see no reason why kids shouldn't get used to the idea that what they are doing is serious and wrong.

We can call it the state attempting to raise children or whatever. But I think that misses the point. The laws aren't there to raise children, they are there to protect those who are being bullied.

An environment where bullying happens regularly often also leads to a lot of school violence. My middle school had at least one fight a day, and I know at least a couple of times when knives were involved, and one time where a kid went to the hospital on a stretcher. I'm not sure what it's like now, but I doubt it is all that different. Since nobody came to the bus monitor's defense, I am guessing that the other kids were either scared, too used to this, or both. If anybody had even made one of the comments those kids did to someone on my high school bus ride, they would have had pretty much everyone else calling them out on it. I think I remember one fight at my high school, the whole time I was there. This is not a coincidence.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ISTx

Of course bullying is nothing new. Though, I find it hard to imagine that kids would speak this way to an elder only several decades ago and successfully evade having all of hell rain down on them from the teacher, principal, parents etc.

Of course bullying is nothing new. Though, I find it hard to imagine that kids would speak this way to an elder only several decades ago and successfully evade having all of hell rain down on them from the teacher, principal, parents etc.
    Well, I believe that's what's happening now, right? At the very least. I think they're even getting death threats, which is going too far in my opinion.

One point I made is that the fact that nobody intervened while it was happening indicates that the other kids/adults on the bus were either too used to this or afraid of intervening. That is never a good sign.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    I find it interesting when people try to solve problems with money.
    What are your favorite methods?

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    It looks like this:
    http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/06/...-bullying-law/

The downside is further reliance on the state to punish and raise children instead of parents.
    Bingo.

"A society that has lost its moral compass will never have enough laws." - Mark Steyn
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz