User Tag List

First 345

Permabanned

I'm sympathetic.

I don't subscribe to the 'good vs evil' dogma. Actions, I think, are always goal-serving and goals are sometime at odds with other goals.

In another world he would have been considered typically human. In this one he is human scum. I have goals as well. At times I'll do something that is disagreeable to another in an effort to achieve my goals. In this world, perhaps luckily, my goals and the actions I take in pursuit of those goals are seen as acceptable. In another I might be considered human scum.

Unfortunately for him, the reality of this world is just that...the reality of this world. Given that, his actions weren't rational (that is, if he has a problem with his situation) so, while I'm sympathetic, I'm not overly concerned. It has little to do with me or my own world.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

^That's sounds like some weird attempt at intellectualization of simple evil. How is it not evil to force a child to have sex with you? Especially when they are crying and upset, and when you know down the line that later you've traumatized them (meaning you cannot pretend it didn't hurt them).
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

I think you can be sympathetic to Sandusky's situation without feeling like he isn't responsible or that his sentence is too harsh. I agree with Jonnyboy and I don't know why it seems like those who disagree with him here think that he's saying it's not Sandusky's fault or that he should get a lighter sentence. Some people's sexual proclivities are celebrated, some are tolerated, some are scorned, and some are abhorred. It's possible to recognize the dilemma of the person whose desires are abhorred while still agreeing that those desires should be abhorred.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ISTx

That sentiment seems contradictory to me though, because the harshest penalties are reserved for those that commit the most heinous crimes, both in thought and in deed. If Sandusky's crimes are so heinous and are deserving of the sentence he received, then how is there still room for pity or empathy? Pedophilia is one thing, and then Sandusky's case is a completely different monster.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I have no sympathy for Sandusky. I'm ready to forget that he exists.

When will we start to see hundreds (or thousands) of Catholic priests going to prison for the rest of their lives? It will never happen because as terribly as Penn State handled this situation, the Catholic Church was worse.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I have no sympathy for Sandusky. I'm ready to forget that he exists.

When will we start to see hundreds (or thousands) of Catholic priests going to prison for the rest of their lives? It will never happen because as terribly as Penn State handled this situation, the Catholic Church was worse.
    Yeah, this topic came up on the radio station I was listening to today -- that if Sandusky had been a Catholic priest, then instead of facing incarceration for the rest of his life, the families would have been paid off and he merely would have received a transfer elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think you can be sympathetic to Sandusky's situation without feeling like he isn't responsible or that his sentence is too harsh. I agree with Jonnyboy and I don't know why it seems like those who disagree with him here think that he's saying it's not Sandusky's fault or that he should get a lighter sentence. Some people's sexual proclivities are celebrated, some are tolerated, some are scorned, and some are abhorred. It's possible to recognize the dilemma of the person whose desires are abhorred while still agreeing that those desires should be abhorred.
    Probably because it deals with kids. You're bypassing any rational discussion when you start messing with people's kids, you're cutting straight into parental instinct and there's just not a lot of room for mercy or philosophical musing there.

I can empathize with someone who is saddled with proclivities that they wish they didn't have; we each have certain preferences (not just sexual) that we did not ask for, they just exist and we must deal with them. Some of these desires might be more positive than others; some desires might be downright destructive. (Kind of reminds me of this episode of X-Files I saw once, called "Hungry," where the protagonist was a mutant carnivore who fed on humans; he didn't ask to have those desires, he just did, and finally he got tired of fighting the impulse, as he also felt he was denying a natural intrinsic part of himself.)

Basically we're still responsible for our desires. if they are harmless to others and/or can be controlled so as to be harmless, not a big deal. If they automatically exploit others, especially those who are vulnerable and supposed to be care for rather than exploited, then that's a huge deal.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    [...] if Sandusky had been a Catholic priest, then instead of facing incarceration for the rest of his life, the families would have been paid off and he merely would have received a transfer elsewhere.
    Pathetic, and most likely true.