User Tag List

First 2345 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 47

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    He was caught years ago performing sexual acts on kids in the shower room. That's part of the whole scandal. That's why Joe Paterno, the beloved head coach of the Penn State team was fired; they felt like he didn't properly report the incident that was brought to his attention (he did, but his superiors did nothing about it). The president of the school was fired as well. That's a real brief rundown. You should look back at news articles on how this all unraveled. It's pretty saddening.
    Well that grinds my gears, not only did someone have the balls to bring it to light they got screwed over for it. Well isnt that just the way it goes. The secular side are no better at rooting out evil in their ranks than the religious.

  2. #32
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well that grinds my gears, not only did someone have the balls to bring it to light they got screwed over for it. Well isnt that just the way it goes. The secular side are no better at rooting out evil in their ranks than the religious.
    Money, and the reputation of the school was more important than an allegation or two of child sex abuse. You're right, it's the same crime of the catholic church in handling this stuff. Damned shame.

  3. #33
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well that grinds my gears, not only did someone have the balls to bring it to light they got screwed over for it. Well isnt that just the way it goes. The secular side are no better at rooting out evil in their ranks than the religious.
    Correction: Penn State football is a religion... or was.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  4. #34
    null Jonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    FREE
    Posts
    2,486

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    There is an obvious difference as you are largely harming yourself. Nevertheless...

    Would you work in a donut shop where you could easily eat left over donuts?
    If year in and year out you returned to the donut shop to work when you had another job would you still do it?
    Would you call that a struggle when you set yourself up for failure in such a huge way?
    I understand there is a difference, but the situations are similar in that there exists an unwanted but intense desire. As to your questions, I'm not sure if they are relevant; it really depends upon his motivation for starting his charity. If he started it to troll for little kids, then in my eyes it is much worse than if he started it because he loved working with kids. Maybe he started it because he wanted to be a good person, and the rest came later? I'm not sure. Furthermore, he was showered with praise for the work he did with children (prior to being exposed); pretty positive reinforcement for continuing with the charity if you ask me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    Money, and the reputation of the school was more important than an allegation or two of child sex abuse. You're right, it's the same crime of the catholic church in handling this stuff. Damned shame.
    I think there's more to it than that, people are squemish, cant stomach real perversity when they encounter it and its safer or easier for them to deny it even happened.

    One of evil's greatest strengths is that good often cant stand to look it in the face or to see it, know it and actually challenge it whatever way is required. Its part of what makes people who're doing evil feel great because they assume that aversion is really submission to their superiority. Its not but to them it is and it gets them and keeps them stoked. In fact that can be a major part of the motivation to indugle in perversity, with less and less things actually accorded the status of perversity any longer I'd say its likely that the population motivated this way is going to get grosser and grosser in their violations of social norms, mores or taboos.

  6. #36
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I understand there is a difference, but the situations are similar in that there exists an unwanted but intense desire. As to your questions, I'm not sure if they are relevant; it really depends upon his motivation for starting his charity. If he started it to troll for little kids, then in my eyes it is much worse than if he started it because he loved working with kids. Maybe he started it because he wanted to be a good person, and the rest came later? I'm not sure. Furthermore, he was showered with praise for the work he did with children (prior to being exposed); pretty positive reinforcement for continuing with the charity if you ask me.

    If he was actually struggling he wouldn't seek out positive reinforcement he would run away from temptation. He would have been aware of the dangers of working with children and avoided it. He specifically set up an organization that targeted at-risk teens. He knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. There are reports that his abuse goes back to 1970 even though charges only reach to 1994.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  7. #37
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    He's not getting out... Dude is gonna die in prison.
    Yeah, I know, and that's fine. I was just speaking in more general terms, partly in response to Lark's general comments.

    Quote Originally Posted by swordpath View Post
    I get what you're saying, but how do we as a society both extend our arms to these people while maintaining the understanding that they pose a big threat on children? I can't make the comparison of homosexuality to pedophilia, because pedophiles use force and manipulation. They might have a problem that is larger than themselves, so to speak, but ultimately they know what they're doing is wrong.
    yes, there's a huge difference between consentual sex with other adults, vs sex with children imposed through an imbalance of power.

    Sure, the guy might have sexual urges for kids; but basically if you're having any kind of urge that takes advantage of others, then those are the breaks and you need to rein yourself in.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    If he was actually struggling he wouldn't seek out positive reinforcement he would run away from temptation. He would have been aware of the dangers of working with children and avoided it. He specifically set up an organization that targeted at-risk teens. He knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. There are reports that his abuse goes back to 1970 even though charges only reach to 1994.
    Yup, he made the choice to abuse rather than removing himself from the area of his temptations. Fail.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  8. #38
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think there's more to it than that, people are squemish, cant stomach real perversity when they encounter it and its safer or easier for them to deny it even happened.

    One of evil's greatest strengths is that good often cant stand to look it in the face or to see it, know it and actually challenge it whatever way is required. Its part of what makes people who're doing evil feel great because they assume that aversion is really submission to their superiority. Its not but to them it is and it gets them and keeps them stoked. In fact that can be a major part of the motivation to indugle in perversity, with less and less things actually accorded the status of perversity any longer I'd say its likely that the population motivated this way is going to get grosser and grosser in their violations of social norms, mores or taboos.
    Which is why I believe self-introspection is so important to spiritual and moral development. If you can't look inside and face the evil that is there you will also ignore the evil that is outside of you or worst you'll be a hypocrite.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  9. #39
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    I do empathize with him, but like y'all have said, I feel like God probably gave him plenty of opportunities to either seek help or change his ways, and he obviously refused. So he'll have time to ponder that now. And finally get mandated help for his issues.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  10. #40
    Rainy Day Woman MDP2525's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    5,532

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    I personally do not, but I sympathize with those who do. I think we too often condemn people without truly understanding what it means to live their lives. You mentioned that we all have desires which we choose not to act upon, but my point is you may not truly comprehend the extent of his desires, and so you are ill equipped to relate his situation to your own. I in no way meant to insinuate that you were a pedophile; in fact, my point was based upon the assumption that you are not.
    Give me a break here. A pedophile who acts upon their desire is a rapist. As soon as their "sympathetic" desires infringe upon mine or anyone else's freedom or physicality, we got problems. So once again, I don't find their struggle any more sympathetic than anyone who has to exercise amounts of self control....and that's all of us with one thing or another.

    Let's not make the purpetrator into the second victim.
    ~luck favors the ready~


    Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Similar Threads

  1. Trial without Jury: verdict given
    By Salomé in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM
  2. What Grandpa Grandma stories would you be sharing when you reach a 100 years old?
    By Tantive in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
  3. State Supreme Court: Al Franken wins. Filibuster-proof Senate reached.
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 10:50 PM
  4. Phil Spector Verdict
    By Kangirl in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
  5. The Verdict on My Type
    By MerkW in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 11:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO