View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default McCain vs. Obama

As a libertarian, I am not particularly sanguine on the upcoming presidential election (and the prospect of Bob Barr as the probable LP candidate isn't very appetizing, either). However, being a news junkie and someone who generally enjoy a good competition in any venue, I will be watching the race with interest. I want to read some opinions and observations on McCain and Obama (not necessarily for whom you would vote, but feel free if you're happily partisan and ready to share). I guess part of me wants to understand why either of these candidates would appeal to American voters, or, conversely, why you can't stand them.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    OMNi

McCain has the military experience and so when it comes to issues of national security, he has the best wits. McCain also wants to stay the course of the Iraq war and Bush's economic policies.

Obama wants to bring about much needed change. He recognizes the ethical shortcomings of much of our government and wants to give much of the power back to the people instead of special interests and lobbyists.

I obviously prefer Obama. I think the guy is very clear in his issues. For example, he supports civil unions, not gay marriage, which I believe is the correct path because denominations should decide whether to accept gay civil unions as marriage. Also, Obama is very pro education for us college punks. With rising costs, it is getting harder and harder to pay for school and he will see that we have the money available.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    McCain has the military experience and so when it comes to issues of national security, he has the best wits. McCain also wants to stay the course of the Iraq war and Bush's economic policies.

Obama wants to bring about much needed change. He recognizes the ethical shortcomings of much of our government and wants to give much of the power back to the people instead of special interests and lobbyists.

I obviously prefer Obama. I think the guy is very clear in his issues. For example, he supports civil unions, not gay marriage, which I believe is the correct path because denominations should decide whether to accept gay civil unions as marriage. Also, Obama is very pro education for us college punks. With rising costs, it is getting harder and harder to pay for school and he will see that we have the money available.
    That is a pretty good answer. I would certainly disagree on the "lobbyist" point (unions and trial lawyers have lobbyists, too, and Obama is totally down with them), but you made the separation in your mind clear. Anyone else?

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

John McCain is a lovely man. I really respect him and have to resist the urge to throw myself over him. After all he's been through.... I don't feel empowered by his policies, so I don't see myself voting for him. I'd like to find a way to convince him to be my granddad though.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I totally want Obama to win.

I used like McCain an unusual amount for a Republican politician, but then he started changing his policies to the stereotypically right-wing crap.
    I looked into him more deeply, and I realized that the guy is so politically pragmatic that I can hardly tell what he actually thinks.
    I don't really know what the guy is going to do once he's in office. Maverick indeed. One thing he probably will make good on is staying in Iraq, but to hell with that.

Obama is not perfect. Yeah, we all know that he has a short record, and we all know that he's been very rhetorical, but the man is not without policies, (of course, he'll have to be held up to them just like McCain). In general, I almost always support Obama's stated policy over McCains, and I prefer his change message over McCain's experience message.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP

McCain-He has a lot of experience, and in the past I've liked him. However, with him changing all his views to get elected recently, I have no idea what he is, or what he truely stands for at this point. Maybe he believes in his old "values", and would follow them in office, but getting elected by decieving the public as to what your true opinions are isn't right either, and I have little respect for people who follow (or pretend to follow) what the public wants them to think.

Obama-Seems to be a great canditate to me. I've looked through his voting history, and everything else I can find, and it all looks good to me. He has been very consistant with his voting, and furthermore...actually has good ideas, instead of continuing the failed US foreign policy of years past. He has managed to beat hillary clinton without resorting to much in "dirty" warfare, and isn't just going out and pandering for votes. (Such as the idiotic gas tax suspension idea). With his speaking skill, I believe that he would actually be capable of accomplishing what he sets himself to while in office.

Basically, Obama seems to be capable, competent, and has good ideas and the ability to make them happen, McCain won't be terrible, but he will be more of the same, and that definitely isn't what this country needs at this point in time.

Full disclosure: I will vote for Obama, and I also like Ron Paul, but he has no chance of winning at this point.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ESFJ

I find it interesting that people seem to believe that John McCain would be "more of the same" with regards to Bush. Those two have very different ideas of what conservatism is, and they also can't stand each other. McCain's disdain for both Bush and Cheney is legendary.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I find it interesting that people seem to believe that John McCain would be "more of the same" with regards to Bush. Those two have very different ideas of what conservatism is, and they also can't stand each other. McCain's disdain for both Bush and Cheney is legendary.
    I know, you can just feel the seething hatred they have for each other.

Don't always believe the picture the media paints. What is undeniable is that McCain openly supports Bush's economic policies and continuing the war in Iraq. If that isn't "more of the same" then I don't know what is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I didn't mean more of the same with regards to beliefs (although, McCain has been sharing some of Bush's beliefs lately). I just don't see McCain as likely to do all that much as far as changing much. Yes, things will change a bit, but it seems most likely that it will remain business as usual in Washington. I see Obama as being more likely to both propose and find a way to push through real changes.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I know, you can just feel the seething hatred they have for each other.

Don't always believe the picture the media paints. What is undeniable is that McCain openly supports Bush's economic policies and continuing the war in Iraq. If that isn't "more of the same" then I don't know what is.
    Well. Mercury is accurate in that McCain feels differently about immigration and environmentalism, at least.
    I actually do believe that McCain mostly hates Bush. I believe the stories that McCain considered switching parties, actively talked about being Kerry's VP in 2004, and didn't vote for Bush in 2000.

So, what's with all of McCains behavior for the past few years? He's lauging around with Bush, he took a 180 on the tax policy and supports it now, and he turned his war criticism way down, now focusing more on how he liked the concept instead of how he hated the execution.
    As I see it, McCain knows political expediency. He hates Bush, but he knows that Bush is president, and that Bush was elected by the same party that McCain seeks. McCain simply does what it takes to win. Just like how he hated the Christian fundies and then started having photo ops with them.

I'm not defending McCain, but I am saying that I really doubt he's the Republican model that Democrats are trying to say he his.

(you might want to remember, kiddo, people thought George Bush and Vicente Fox were friends. Oops!)
    Go to sleep, iguana.