User Tag List

View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
First 5678 Last

Results 61 to 70 of 72

  1. #61
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    The last president we had that cared more about the rest of the world and our image than the US was Carter. Apparently those were bad years in the US, and we're not exactly in the best of shape to begin with.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  2. #62
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    The last president we had that cared more about the rest of the world and our image than the US was Carter. Apparently those were bad years in the US, and we're not exactly in the best of shape to begin with.
    There is quite a bit more to carter's presidency than image.

  3. #63
    Senior Member LostInNerSpace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    1,027

    Default

    His argument was that the act would be unconstitutional because the definition would effectively ban abortion--which is illegal under the US Constitution.

    see pages 86-87

    http://www.ilga.gov/senate/transcrip...2/ST033001.pdf


    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Some might view his plastering of a holy site with campaign posters as offensive. If he visits Mecca, would he put up campaign posters at the Kaaba, as well? It's pretty much the same thing. I don't think that attitude helps America's image, at all.
    There will always be something some people will find offensive. If you want to avoid offending everybody, put a bag over you head and live in a box.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    "should"

    Two bad choices. Awful choices. If this was a banana republic, we'd be having a coup right about now. I won't vote for either, but McCain is slightly less offensive to me than Obama. I'm very disturbed by Obama's followers since they clearly have very little intelligence - they believe in someone with no track record, no platform, nothing. It's like the Kerry campaign all over again - the few things he does show any opinion on he changes constantly, while trying his best to avoid admitting to an opinion to begin with so they aren't so glaring and running on the "change" ticket.

    Either one will be a one-term president, though.
    Who in your opinion would be a good president and why?

  4. #64
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    There will always be something some people will find offensive. If you want to avoid offending everybody, put a bag over you head and live in a box.
    What? Your previous argument was that the president needs to appeal to foreigners to improve the image of the US. And now you say that offending people doesn't matter? That doesn't make sense. Is it because it's a religious site that you don't care? Or is it because Obama is your guy, you're willing to overlook his mistakes?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #65
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    His argument was that the act would be unconstitutional because the definition would effectively ban abortion--which is illegal under the US Constitution.

    see pages 86-87

    http://www.ilga.gov/senate/transcrip...2/ST033001.pdf
    Yes, and that argument is factually untrue, and Obama knows it is. He's fully aware of the facts and still chooses to lie about it. Yeah, I know, what's new about a politician lying? But he's trying to paint himself as this agent for change that doesn't use the old politics, and it's a giant crock, that's all I'm saying.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  6. #66
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    whichever president is for the independence of california and texas.

  7. #67
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LostInNerSpace View Post
    His argument was that the act would be unconstitutional because the definition would effectively ban abortion--which is illegal under the US Constitution.
    Since when? If Congress passed an abortion ban and a challenge to the bill survived a Supreme Court challenge, it would be the law.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #68
    only bites when provoked
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    2,127

    Default

    Yeah, I knew that was wrong but didn't want to start the debate. The constitution doesn't say anything about abortion.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

    Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

  9. #69
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ExTJ
    Posts
    1,377

    Default

    The Roe vs. Wade decision did use constitutional arguments to back it up, so until it gets reversed that's what people will be working off of.

  10. #70
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zergling View Post
    The Roe vs. Wade decision did use constitutional arguments to back it up, so until it gets reversed that's what people will be working off of.
    Yes, a "right to privacy." Still, Congress could pass a ban tomorrow, and, if the Supreme Court doesn't overturn it, that would be the law. A law that effectively banned abortion (but was not passed AS a ban) would likely be overturned even by a very conservative SCOTUS.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Romney vs. Obama; Te(Fi) vs. Ti(Fe)
    By Istbkleta in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-21-2012, 05:12 PM
  2. Obama or McCain?
    By wildcat in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 12:14 AM
  3. 10/7 Obama vs. McCain debate thread.
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 10-08-2008, 11:06 PM
  4. McCain vs. Obama: Your Vote and Why
    By Jack Flak in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 177
    Last Post: 10-07-2008, 08:47 AM
  5. Some reaons why McCain and Obama are both BS
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 78
    Last Post: 10-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO