User Tag List

123 Last

Default United States Pirate Party

Was looking around and, apparently, I found a United States Pirate Party in the works. Quite sure you guys in Europe already know about the Pirate Party over there.

US Pirate Party Link

California Pirate Party Platform:

At the very core of the Pirate Party is a desire for direct democracy and public participation made possible on an unprecedented scale through the Internet. In other words, this is not a traditional party controlled from the top. We have no all-encompassing ideology. What we propose is radical – that all the mechanisms are in place for people to genuinely take back the reins of their democracy. The platform of the California Pirate Party represents a set of conditions that must be in place for this new community to thrive. They are as follows:

1. Defend the Internet – It is our belief that the Internet has become an invaluable public good, and as such, the California Pirate Party will resist all attempts to censor, survey, wiretap, or regulate the Internet. We believe that the First Amendment protects an individual's right not to have their mail read over the Internet, and will push for legislation making illegal infringements on data privacy and anonymous communication.

2. Reform Copyright Laws – It is our position that current copyright Laws are imbalanced, and must be changed to respect the free flow of information made possible in the emerging digital society. Copyright should be limited to commercial use of a product, ending the campaign of repression aimed at users of digital file-sharing. Data is not stolen when it is copied. Data is not stolen when it is copied.

3. Reform of Election and Lobbying Laws – We find it disturbing the level of influence private concentrations of wealth and power are able to wield in our country's political process. The California Pirate Party will support legislation for campaign finance reform that curtails the effect of private wealth on the election process. We will push for more reasonable limits on the amount of private donations to any public official, and eliminate the revolving door by which lobbyists get appointed to the industries they are supposed to regulate.

4. Direct Democracy and Participation – We will defend the rights of individuals to protest the current government, to assemble in public space without the fear of repression. We will encourage the grass-roots political process, through debate and discussion both online and in our communities. The California Pirate Party is committed to fostering a new democratic community, open and transparent in its mechanisms, accessible to all.

5. Social and Economic Justice -- We value people over corporations. This necessitates a deep concern for civil rights, especially in light of increasing suppression of gay rights and immigrant rights in California. In addition, compounding income disparity and lack of economic opportunity for the population at large need to be addressed at the policy level. The needs and voices of the 99% can no longer be ignored, and we intend to be the party for them to voice their concerns.
    It.... sounds.... gooooooood!
    Last edited by Rail Tracer; 06-25-2012 at 01:24 PM. Reason: #2 is not a typo.

WALMART

dumb, i lost respect at the repitition of the second clause.

data IS stolen when it is copied.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    dumb, i lost respect at the repitition of the second clause.

data IS stolen when it is copied.
    False. (AND I just noticed the repetition they had lol)

A copied data is not a stolen data. The original data IS still in the original.

We can think of it this way:

I took a dollar from you without your permission, I stole it. Why? Because you don't have the dollar bill anymore.

Vs.

Now, if I copied X Data from you, you still have the original data, I have that similar/same data. Does that mean I stole your data when you still have the data? No, you still have it.

Permabanned

No but you reduced its relative value.

I too stopped reading after the second clause was repeated.

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post

I too stopped reading after the second clause was repeated.
    And I thought I was bad when I see typos. XD

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    You cannot prove this claim, and I have problems with it for the following reasons:
    1. Only those who would have purchased the product in lieu of file-sharing can be considered lost revenue. I would argue that the vast majority of piracy occurs among people who would not have paid for the product in the first place, and therefore cannot be considered lost revenue, which leads to...
    2. The increased exposure piracy gives a product (you could call it free advertising) is beneficial. It has market value, yet it is never considered in the calculations of businesses claiming to lose revenue due to piracy.
    3. Word-of-mouth advertising has been a resource all companies have exploited, free-of-charge, for as long as private enterprise has existed. If companies are going be this anal about file-sharing, perhaps we should enact law requiring companies to compensate individuals for word-of-mouth advertising. It's only fair.
    4. If it were possible to calculate the real financial value or cost of piracy (industry estimates ignore EVERYTHING that is positive about piracy), you would find that on balance it actually benefits business more than it harms it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

I like the sentiment.
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pirate party?

I'll bring the rum.

WALMART

I dont like that "i wouldnt have bought it anyways" argument. Information should be like a ferrari, you dont buy one you dont drive it.

Fact is, a lot of people wanna drive ferraris without putting in. Then to have the audacity to say youre advertising for ferrari when youre out cruising the town... Lol. What a dumb, dumb idea.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Savvy View Post
    Pirate party?

I'll bring the rum.
    I was thinking this too. This type of piracy is much more interesting than the kind this thread is actually about!

(Pirates did have a pretty egalitarian code of conduct way before it was "cool" to do so. They all got equal pay, they got "worker's comp" (remuneration for limbs lost in battle), all races were welcome and treated equally, they elected their captain... sounds pretty good to me. )
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/