User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 90

  1. #21
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,152

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You cannot prove this claim, and I have problems with it for the following reasons:
    1. Only those who would have purchased the product in lieu of file-sharing can be considered lost revenue. I would argue that the vast majority of piracy occurs among people who would not have paid for the product in the first place, and therefore cannot be considered lost revenue, which leads to...
    2. The increased exposure piracy gives a product (you could call it free advertising) is beneficial. It has market value, yet it is never considered in the calculations of businesses claiming to lose revenue due to piracy.
    3. Word-of-mouth advertising has been a resource all companies have exploited, free-of-charge, for as long as private enterprise has existed. If companies are going be this anal about file-sharing, perhaps we should enact law requiring companies to compensate individuals for word-of-mouth advertising. It's only fair.
    4. If it were possible to calculate the real financial value or cost of piracy (industry estimates ignore EVERYTHING that is positive about piracy), you would find that on balance it actually benefits business more than it harms it.
    My response was in response to the "dollar for dollar" response.
    It's funny how you accuse me of not being able to substantiate my claim and then go on to drop unsubstantiated claims, one after the other...

    I look at the issue practically... technologically...so I agree with you that it's up to the companies to innovate.

  2. #22
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    My response was in response to the "dollar for dollar" response.
    It's funny how you accuse me of not being able to substantiate my claim and then go on to drop unsubstantiated claims, one after the other...

    I look at the issue practically... technologically...so I agree with you that it's up to the companies to innovate.
    I wasn't attempting a proof. I was merely pointing out a feasible alternative to your claim.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  3. #23
    Sweet Ocean Cloud SD45T-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,761

    Default

    I was expecting something exciting with swords and ships. I am quite disappointed.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

    "I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

  4. #24
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    JTG always said I was a pirate.

    So is this some kind of non-violent communist revolution in the technology age?

    Because anyone who understands communism knows that the end goal is to let the people rule and take down The Man.

    Its just that the U.S. Version of The Man is corporatism.

  5. #25
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you want information to be a luxury item only the rich can afford. Wow. That's fucked up in so many ways, I don't even know where to start.

    Your argument leads me to the conclusion that you've got to be at least 40 years old, if not older, but your grammar and punctuation screams 13 year old child. I'm not sure which one to choose, too old or too young to understand how the internet works?
    yes this is why I think anarcho capitalists are either evil or retarded, because essentially with this kind of thinking (information is a luxury item) we are going BACKWARDS several centuries where there was no middle class and just a dirty ignorant underclass

    oh yeah. Good times.

    They just dont realize the odds of them being in the upper class are stacked strongly against them.

    Fuckin tards.

  6. #26
    Freaking Ratchet Rail Tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,041

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SD45T-2 View Post
    I was expecting something exciting with swords and ships. I am quite disappointed.
    Hey, we can start carrying the flags around and start wearing an eye-patch shouting "We are part of the Pirate Party.... ARGH!!!!!!!!"

  7. #27
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    There is no defense for copyright infringement. Just because it's so easy to share doesn't mean it's right, or should be right.

  8. #28
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmie Dearest View Post
    yes this is why I think anarcho capitalists are either evil or retarded, because essentially with this kind of thinking (information is a luxury item) we are going BACKWARDS several centuries where there was no middle class and just a dirty ignorant underclass

    oh yeah. Good times.

    They just dont realize the odds of them being in the upper class are stacked strongly against them.

    Fuckin tards.

    Do you understand what information in this context is? It's not looking something up on wikipedia.


    I seriously cannot understand how people can be reasonable, functioning adults and feel that pirating is something that should be legally defended. When I worked on cars, the thought of someone taking a repair I took the time and know how to accomplish and just "copying" it to anyone else who has the same symptoms - no work, no effort, no skill - would seriously make me rip my hair out. Luckily such a feat is impossible, but those in our programming world do not have that luxury.


    Filthy, disgusting human beings. Your self worth must be infinitely non-existent.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Do you understand what information in this context is? It's not looking something up on wikipedia.


    I seriously cannot understand how people can be reasonable, functioning adults and feel that pirating is something that should be legally defended. When I worked on cars, the thought of someone taking a repair I took the time and know how to accomplish and just "copying" it to anyone else who has the same symptoms - no work, no effort, no skill - would seriously make me rip my hair out. Luckily such a feat is impossible, but those in our programming world do not have that luxury.


    Filthy, disgusting human beings. Your self worth must be infinitely non-existent.
    Well it's because you've been so indoctrinated in hyper-capitalism that of course you feel that way, you fear lack, you've been trained to your entire life unless you're upper middle class or above.

    Of course doing blue collar work for free would be like slavery.

    However, sharing information is not the same. No one is saying that ARTISTS should not get paid. Part of the reason piracy exists is because of the companies that sell records (just as an example), not because of the artists themselves.

  10. #30
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Do you understand what information in this context is? It's not looking something up on wikipedia.


    I seriously cannot understand how people can be reasonable, functioning adults and feel that pirating is something that should be legally defended. When I worked on cars, the thought of someone taking a repair I took the time and know how to accomplish and just "copying" it to anyone else who has the same symptoms - no work, no effort, no skill - would seriously make me rip my hair out. Luckily such a feat is impossible, but those in our programming world do not have that luxury.


    Filthy, disgusting human beings. Your self worth must be infinitely non-existent.
    It's simply because it's so god damn easy to do that people somehow justify it in their minds. To make things even less black and white, there's the whole element of "copying" something that was rightfully purchased. "It's my property; I should be able to do with it as I please." I don't share in that school of thought though, because eventually it becomes so convoluted to the point where you've got a file from John Doe in South Korea, and so do tens of thousands of others. All of which haven't paid a dime towards the artists.

Similar Threads

  1. United States of America, 2012 Political Positions of Two Major Parties
    By Beargryllz in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-22-2012, 08:16 PM
  2. Ideological Makeup of the Supreme Court of the United States
    By Jonny in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2012, 01:11 AM
  3. United States of Tara
    By MrRandom in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-14-2010, 08:14 PM
  4. What Is The Future Of The United States?
    By highlander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 112
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 04:20 AM
  5. U.S.E (United states of Europe)
    By Virtual ghost in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 09-27-2008, 01:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO