User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I dont like that "i wouldnt have bought it anyways" argument. Information should be like a ferrari, you dont buy one you dont drive it.

Fact is, a lot of people wanna drive ferraris without putting in. Then to have the audacity to say youre advertising for ferrari when youre out cruising the town... Lol. What a dumb, dumb idea.
    So you want information to be a luxury item only the rich can afford. Wow. That's fucked up in so many ways, I don't even know where to start.

Your argument leads me to the conclusion that you've got to be at least 40 years old, if not older, but your grammar and punctuation screams 13 year old child. I'm not sure which one to choose, too old or too young to understand how the internet works?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    So you want information to be a luxury item only the rich can afford. Wow. That's fucked up in so many ways, I don't even know where to start.

Your argument leads me to the conclusion that you've got to be at least 40 years old, if not older, but your grammar and punctuation screams 13 year old child. I'm not sure which one to choose, too old or too young to understand how the internet works?

I want information generated for the purpose of turning a profit (windows, photoshop, videogames) to do just that. No pay, no play? I think thats a saying somewhere in the world.

Also, grow up.

I dont like that "i wouldnt have bought it anyways" argument. Information should be like a ferrari, you dont buy one you dont drive it.

Fact is, a lot of people wanna drive ferraris without putting in. Then to have the audacity to say youre advertising for ferrari when youre out cruising the town... Lol. What a dumb, dumb idea.
    Here is an idea that you neglect to see.

Corporations that are unwilling to
    1: Change their business model
    2: Sell to the country that wants the item
    3: Bring their shows overseas

I hear a lot of people from around the world complain about those three.

To use YOUR analogy, it is like wanting a Ferrari, but your damn country and the company that makes them won't choose to bring it over even if they have incentives to bring it over.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Rail Tracer View Post
    Here is an idea that you neglect to see.

Corporations that are unwilling to
    1: Change their business model
    2: Sell to the country that wants the item
    3: Bring their shows overseas

I hear a lot of people from around the world complain about those three.

To use YOUR analogy, it is like wanting a Ferrari, but your damn country and the company that makes them won't choose to bring it over even if they have incentives to bring it over.

What types of information exist that cannot be obtained on a global scale? One thing i could think of would be violent videogames in austrailia... But because my government chooses to restrict such things does that give me free reign on another man's hard work?

MBTI
    STUF

An ethical argument is irrelevant, the door has already been opened. Companies can choose to embrace it or lose.
    Whoops.

What types of information exist that cannot be obtained on a global scale?
    There goes your answer.

That, my friend, is the difference between old media and new media.

One chooses to restrict, I wonder which one that is.

Even the American Library Association has embraced it, I don't see why the other Old Media people won't embrace it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

dumb, i lost respect at the repitition of the second clause.

data IS stolen when it is copied.
    That's not the only thing which is dumb about those articles of faith.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I want information generated for the purpose of turning a profit (windows, photoshop, videogames) to do just that. No pay, no play? I think thats a saying somewhere in the world.

Also, grow up.
    If profit is all you care about, then you should be pro-piracy. It generates more profit, not less. For example, there are lots of computer games out there that most people would never consider buying, but some of those people play the pirated version, end up liking the game and buy it. They tell their friends about the game, and so on.

Companies that cling to the mid 20th century business model, which is the model you are arguing in favor of, will fail. Innovate or go out business. THAT should be your motto, not this nonsense you're spewing. You're spouting garbage in favor of the companies that are lobbying for legislation like SOPA, PIPA, and CISPA so they don't have to adjust their business models for 21st century technology.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Certified Sausage Smoker Elfboy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI None

parts of this sound good, other parts sound terrible. a direct democracy? hell no. I don't wish to have that kind of involvement in government
    ENFP: We put the Fi in Fire
    ENFP
    5w4>1w9>2w1 Sx/Sp
    SEE-Fi
    Papa Bear
    Motivation: Dark Worker
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Chibi Seme
    MTG Color: black/red
    Male Archtype: King/Lover
    Sunburst!
    "You are a gay version of Gambit" Speed Gavroche
    "I wish that I could be affected by any hate, but I can't, cuz I just get affected by the bank" Chamillionaire

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's issues like these that make some NTs sound like what they say they hate most. Namely, like mindless automota who blindly accept the philosophies of the priveleged hoping that one day their position will be the same. Pff
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.