User Tag List

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Default The Failed System... (and the solution)

Elections are usless, as if the majority of people have the interest of the future canada in mind. They mainly vote on who has the lowest tax incentive, And that's why their political campaigns focus around this, and other selfish means....

The problem is, the majority of people aren't that smart, it's a sad fact. So you have politicians trying to get the majority vote by adhereing to that reality. Sorry to say but democracy is broken, whoever's idea it was to give dumb people the vote crashed the country; 100 years ago. It was inevitable. What's the use of having a static system of "democracy" if nobody tries to evolve it? With the majority democracy system in place,which is designed to divide people against themselves, it is impossible to get people to act proactivly and people will only realized they're fucked, after it happense.

Not to mention most people don't vote anyways, So the majority of votes really doesn't represent "the people". There is no official internet database forum to discuss things from all points of view and come to conclusions by the people rather than party leaders. I'm not talking about semantics like budgets, more like larger scale issues.

There is more to democracy than votes; voices. With all the vague answers being given, I'd like to give some real questions that do not allow for a vague escape.

The Solution

An official internet forum/watchdog with discussions from politics directly to the people, or something in that manner, where people can actually have a say in the officail discussions and where questions don't go unanswered. It only makes sense

Everytime something goes wrong, people blame the head of office and replace him with another talking head, and when he does something that nobody likes, we elect someone else who says he'll do different, etc etc etc.

Deffinition of Insanity: Repeating the same action/process over and over again expecting different results.
    1+1=3 OMFG

WALMART

replace "voting" with "likes" on facebook

Internet Defense League Join up.

The internet is a nice way for us to create bills for what we do, but do you truly believe that Congress will truly listen to us with Wall Street and K Street as it is? Most people are ill-informed in what goes on with these three institutions. When we turn a blind eye for just a second, that is the time when they will make bills contrary to what the people want. In some ways, Canada is pretty much linked with the U.S.A through laws, whatever happens here will move on to happened there (we have a pack with Canada where whatever law we implement here will be implemented there for cohesiveness.)

The internet is being attacked as we speak. Our talking heads have been really horrible to our watchdogs/whistle-blowers/muckrakers. They know that the internet is a vast resource of information that can potentially be used against them AND their power.

People are power hungry. Those in power will do everything possible to keep that power. They've found out the internet runs against their power. They will stifle it every way they can by propaganda by breaking/burning it just as they are trying to do with unions. They will do everything to push propaganda up our throats.

Only way to change this is to change the system from the ground up. It means breaking K-Street/Wall-Street/Citizens-United from the government.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Did I read that right you think that substituting something like TypoC for elections would be better for Canada? Are you serious enough?

To be honest I think there's a serious ignorance about how to define democracy, representation, elections or popular sovereignty. What do you feel is broken? Some people think that if elections, democratic processes and popular sovereignty are limited and limiting of state action then that's a good thing and it is all working.

Representation is the goal of most democracies rather than anything else, it acknowledged that there will be privilege but it should not be anyones birthright or familial legacy, no matter how much it comes to resemble dynastic rule in real life it is theoretically open to anyone which for some is enough.

Personally I think that if there is a fail it is because all governments and democracies have become good examples of what Burnham described in The Managerial Revolution. Although that is not an argument for less popular sovereignty but more, if people are dumb then they will suffer the natural consequences of being dumb and the essential learning experience which democracy ought to be carries on. If democracy has not made for the learning experience it should have been or could have been its been because the media is all kinds of mixed up in politics, exhibits bias and also is more like entertainment than objective reportage.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Did I read that right you think that substituting something like TypoC for elections would be better for Canada? Are you serious enough?

To be honest I think there's a serious ignorance about how to define democracy, representation, elections or popular sovereignty. What do you feel is broken? Some people think that if elections, democratic processes and popular sovereignty are limited and limiting of state action then that's a good thing and it is all working.

Representation is the goal of most democracies rather than anything else, it acknowledged that there will be privilege but it should not be anyones birthright or familial legacy, no matter how much it comes to resemble dynastic rule in real life it is theoretically open to anyone which for some is enough.

Personally I think that if there is a fail it is because all governments and democracies have become good examples of what Burnham described in The Managerial Revolution. Although that is not an argument for less popular sovereignty but more, if people are dumb then they will suffer the natural consequences of being dumb and the essential learning experience which democracy ought to be carries on. If democracy has not made for the learning experience it should have been or could have been its been because the media is all kinds of mixed up in politics, exhibits bias and also is more like entertainment than objective reportage.
    I'm just saying with the internet can be used to revolutionize politics, i don't think it takes that much creativity to see that lark. If a democratic government's goal is to represent the people, there should everything done to get the power to "the people" and i dont think elections done every four years in a biased way gives that right.Clearly the internet is the way of tommorow. Do you not think there are areas where this interconnecting device could help "democracy"
    1+1=3 OMFG

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Munchies View Post
    I'm just saying with the internet can be used to revolutionize politics, i don't think it takes that much creativity to see that lark. If a democratic government's goal is to represent the people, there should everything done to get the power to "the people" and i dont think elections done every four years in a biased way gives that right.Clearly the internet is the way of tommorow. Do you not think there are areas where this interconnecting device could help "democracy"
    I think that books like The Shallows have been good exposees of how exaggerated the hopes for the internet changing anything are.

If elections every four years with all the time in between to prepare for the next one and process the results of the last one and its consequences do not result in what you would consider democratic why would more frequent elections have a different result? Surely having time to think and reach a decision is better than being driven in a kind of ADHD manner?

A government can be representative without having to give "power to the people", what does that mean actually? People already have power and you've said they are not using it in the way you would expect or want them to, I'm not sure how increased frequency in elections is going to lead to the sort of change you want to see, although I'm not that sure about what sort of change exactly you want to see at the moment.

Representative government is government by anyone who has won a mandate, as opposed to noble or aristocratic government in which mandates are awarded by monarchs or title and legacies rather than won through an election. That's the whole of it.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Ive never read shallows so that all means nothing to me, the question is still left unanswered. There is a lot of potential for an internet watchdog/forum and many uses it could serve. Why not?
    1+1=3 OMFG

Permabanned

The internet can't get past the fact that people are mostly uninterested in such things. At the end of the day, people will be self serving regardless of the way they are able to voice their thoughts.

MBTI
    XNXP
    Enneagram
    OMG sx
    Socionics
    iuno

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    The internet can't get past the fact that people are mostly uninterested in such things. At the end of the day, people will be self serving regardless of the way they are able to voice their thoughts.
    Yes, like keeping kids in charge of a candy store.
    1+1=3 OMFG