User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by xisnotx View Post
    Are you being facetious?
    I found it slightly less than compelling that you made two subjective statements with no follow up points as to why and then indicated that being pro-gun control was the obvious stance one would take.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    ? but they are, just fyi. Im on my phone but i'm gonna write up a little thing on that question you asked me.
    Wow, wow, wow, hold up, dont turn it into a thread derail, I just was making a stand alone point and maybe another thread is needed. Sorry guys. This makes more sense if you're a fanboy of Erich Fromm as I am.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What are these things? Tell me about them.

They're from the Metal Gear Solid series.

Basically, a near ancient group currently known as "The Patriots" own a monopoly on all PMC's (privatized military companies). They invent a system where the only way modern weapons can be used is by nano-recognition; the weapons only work for the assigned user, the user usually doing battle against other PMC groups ironically owned by the same people. In this manner they create a war economy, selling their services to anyone looking to gain militaristic power for whatever reasons. "Pre-SOP" weapons are highly sought after, since anyone can use them... but apparently they're illegal to own on a global scale.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    I found it slightly less than compelling that you made two subjective statements with no follow up points as to why and then indicated that being pro-gun control was the obvious stance one would take.
    Ah...the two subjective points don't need justification. They're just opinions formed from my everyday experience...

The third is obvious because a level of gun control is already socially expected. It isn't appropriate for me to have guns in certain social contexts...the question really isn't about whether gun control is appropriate or not...but more a question of when and where it is appropriate. That is up for debate...but on the issue of gun control itself it's obvious that the only rational position to take is a positive one.

Also,
    The constitution is an old relic that should be taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be expected to follow the code of Hammurabi either. I'm growing increasingly weary of people who hide behind a document that is 200 years old as if it was the end all and be all of human civilization. Society changes, and with it, the laws that govern it must adapt as well.

Fancy as they may look, they are dangerous to the public.

If there were a way to take all weapons away with a single push of the button, I would do it. It is, of course, difficult to take them away when everybody is already armed. I assume it will take the US at least a century to realize that the king of England and 'the government' are less threatening to the people than millions of guns in the hands of the crazy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I don't have a rigid opinion. The use of firearms is fairly restricted in Brazil, and I think it's for the best in our case.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that restrictive laws work mostly against ''peaceful'' people, as criminals won't hand over their guns because of that. So in a way, it is a very unfair situation.
    Otoh, some people are way too stupid to be carrying one:
    (viewer discretion is advised)
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    I don't have a rigid opinion. The use of firearms is fairly restricted in Brazil, and I think it's for the best in our case.
    I think it's important to keep in mind that restrictive laws work mostly against ''peaceful'' people, as criminals won't hand over their guns because of that. So in a way, it is a very unfair situation.
    Otoh, some people are way too stupid to be carrying one:
    (viewer discretion is advised)

OMFG. Funniest fucking thing I've ever seen.

One more gun owner off the streets =P

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    If there were a way to take all weapons away with a single push of the button, I would do it.
    The problem I have with this stance is that no one seems to be able to give a clear answer as to what constitutes a weapon. I can kill you just as dead with a brick or a hammer as I can with an assault rifle or katana.

Also,
    The constitution is an old relic that should be taken with a grain of salt. I wouldn't be expected to follow the code of Hammurabi either. I'm growing increasingly weary of people who hide behind a document that is 200 years old as if it was the end all and be all of human civilization.
    That's because, to date, it has been - having provided us with a framework conducive to a level of freedom and opportunity and abundance never attained before in the history of civilization. Its track record speaks for itself. Until someone comes along and in their infinite wisdom flushes it down the toilet, that is.

Society changes, and with it, the laws that govern it must adapt as well.
    The constitution isn't about laws. It provided us with methods of changing the laws. The constitution is a document of principles.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    The problem I have with this stance is that no one seems to be able to give a clear answer as to what constitutes a weapon. I can kill you just as dead with a brick or a hammer as I can with an assault rifle or katana.

What country was it that has a 100 percent ban on guns, but the highest stabbings per capita? I remember reading about it somewhere.