User Tag List

12 Last

Default When arts and entertainment lack racial diversity...

This question comes on the heel of this recent story:

'Bunheads' Lacks Diversity? Creator Defends Against Casting Criticism

Bunheads was criticized earlier this week by Grey’s Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes, who said that she doesn’t feel right letting her children watch the show sinceBunheads doesn’t contain any actors of color.
    Rhimes tweeted:
    “Hey @abcfbunheads: really? You couldn’t cast even ONE young dancer of color so I could feel good about my kid watching this show? NOT ONE?"
    “Look, I’m not going to get into a pissing match with Shonda Rhimes because she has 15,000 shows on the air, and she’s doing just fine for herself…. [But] I’ve always felt that women, in a general sense, have never supported other women the way they should…I think it’s a shame, but to me, it is what it is…. I wouldn’t do it… I wouldn’t go after another woman. I, frankly, wouldn’t go after another showrunner.”
    Is diversity the actual issue here for Rhimes? Should whites or Asians or <insert other here> be offended by Tyler Perry's films? What factors determine whether or not racial ubiquity in a piece (visual, literary, audio etc.) is inappropriate?
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Why is it never ok for majorities to be majorities but minorities are supposed to be proud of being nepotistic & borderline or overtly racist as long as its based around guilt triping the majority.

How many white guys've made it as (recognized) rappers in the US ?

Suck it up
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

The Cosby show lacked diversity.

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    A good example. I loved that show and watched it all the time with my mom's family as a kid. We're Mexican American and I don't recall any hostilities about not being racially represented, or being unable to relate to their lives.

(Although my mother was dismayed that all of my Barbie dolls were blonde-haired and blue-eyed. Particularly because as a small child I thought this was the pinnacle of beauty and wished I looked like my white aunts. My attitude changed as I got older.)
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Should whites or Asians or <insert other here> be offended by Tyler Perry's films?
    Yes, as should we all. Although...

Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Quote Originally Posted by nebbykoo View Post
    So did the movie, Boomerang.
    Let's all bitch at Eddie Murphy for not taking a stand!

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    Why is it never ok for majorities to be majorities but minorities are supposed to be proud of being nepotistic & borderline or overtly racist as long as its based around guilt triping the majority.

How many white guys've made it as (recognized) rappers in the US ?

Suck it up
    Yeah and I thought Eminem was shite, shite and got progressively shiter, although I think rap has been in steady decline and hip hop used to be good but has declined too.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    So did the movie, Boomerang.
    Let's all bitch at Eddie Murphy for not taking a stand!
    Bitch at him for something anyway.

MBTI
    XXFP

I do believe there is such thing as "black" culture or "asian" or "hispanic" with a variety of sub-genres within and so I think that representing those groups can be important culturally.

However, fundamentally the differences between people have more to do with the environment they grew up and live in rather than any sort of ancestral tie. I think that focusing so much on factors of race (which is almost entirely a cultural construct with only superficial ties to reality) is extremely limiting and damaging in the long term. Culture, rather than lineage, is what's important.

I'd agree that due to historical factors ethnic minorities are at what I'd describe as a "systemic disadvantage" - overall, being born black or hispanic (still) means that you're much more likely to be born into a poor environment that lacks role models and social connections. So having someone on a TV show you can relate to might be a positive thing. Then again, anyone born into a poor environment likely faces many of the same challenges.

However, instead of identifying so strongly with a certain self image based in something which was not earned or developed is a path to stagnation. Instead of trying to find a person on tv who you can superficially identify with, wouldn't it be better to find role models who you appreciate based on the content of their character? Who they are as a person?

I think it would be.

Unfortunately, double-consciousness (perhaps not exactly in the sense DuBois considered it...wiki it) comes into play here. People stop identifying who they are internally and start viewing themselves through the lens of the outside. And that label becomes so important to them (perhaps because it is painful, or even in the reverse case because it makes them feel powerful) that they fail to realize there is something beyond that.

-----

Addressing the OP: providing a relatable character may be a valuable exercise, but I really don't think it's mandatory. Honestly, my reaction to a person who won't let her kid watch a tv show because there aren't people of the right color on it is that they're deeply misguided.

In general I strongly question evaluating art and entertainment as if it HAS to reflect everything in society. Art doesn't have to serve everyone. If you constantly look to art and entertainment to fill in a gap in your real, day to day experience, you're going to always end up unfulfilled.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

The world at large looks like a Benetton ad, but most subcultures do not. Rarely does a TV show or a movie focus on the world at large rather than a subculture, and I don't think there's anything nefarious or wrongheaded about depicting a subculture accurately. I don't know what this Bunheads show is, but if the world it depicts is lily white, then casting a black actor would be just as strange as giving Madea a white kid. My personal opinion is that I would feel patronized to see my ethnicity depicted in the form of a token rather than simply excluded if that's more true to life.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari