User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When arts and entertainment lack racial diversity...

@Bamboo Nailed it. @EffEmDoubleyou too.
    "There is no god; there is only us. Savage and fragile."

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The world at large looks like a Benetton ad, but most subcultures do not. Rarely does a TV show or a movie focus on the world at large rather than a subculture, and I don't think there's anything nefarious or wrongheaded about depicting a subculture accurately. I don't know what this Bunheads show is, but if the world it depicts is lily white, then casting a black actor would be just as strange as giving Madea a white kid. My personal opinion is that I would feel patronized to see my ethnicity depicted in the form of a token rather than simply excluded if that's more true to life.
    Yeah, this is a great point.
    -end of thread-

Could we trade a black role on that show to turn Neil deGrasse Tyson white? I don't feel right seeing him as a role model because he isn't white.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Senior Member Array UniqueMixture's Avatar
    378 sx/so

Why would someone be interested/support a movement that doesn't represent them as people? This is why the most universal structures tend to succeed.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

I don't understand why anyone would expect white people to "diversify" any entertainment they produce. People generally are in favor of their own and will promote their own, so why would they suddenly start promoting anything non-white? If you want more of _________ people in something, you should produce it your damn self and not rely on others.
    Quote Originally Posted by iwakar View Post
    Is diversity the actual issue here for Rhimes? Should whites or Asians or <insert other here> be offended by Tyler Perry's films? [/INDENT]
    Don't Tyler Perry films have at least one non-negroid actor to combat this?
    “'Fuck', I think. What a beautiful word. If I could say only one thing for the rest of my life, that would be it.”