User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Are you under the impression that all (or most, or even that many) women own a pair of Manolos? I wouldn't put those torture devices on my feet even if they paid me. I only know what they are because of Sex and the City, anyway.

Also, I've never seen a commercial for Manolos.
    Just trying to show you the fallacy of your argument.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I'm not even sure I had anything specific in mind, other than the knowledge that government generally aims to hold onto power above all else. "this particular area" = sexual assault, orr...? Why don't you enlighten me as to what I'm trying to protect?
    Freedom without responsibility.

Alright - what about no-fault divorce specifically do you think is harming society, presuming we keep all other forms of divorce?
    It's too easy, and the result is the family structure our species evolved to succeed has been all but tossed aside. Women seek divorce between 2 and 4 times more often than men (it varies year to year).
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Is it really power to be in the group people want to manipulate the most?

(And that's assuming this is even true - I'd suspect that 18-29 males are a pretty damn tempting target for advertisers of things which are not household cleaning products, which let's face it are not major factors in the consumer market. Those bemoaned video games sell for a lot more than a mop)
    Yes, I would argue that it works like eusociality in insects

http://www.newscientist.com/mobile/a...after-all.html

Imo, by becoming more -necessary- genes within species eventually dominate. There is a lot of research on this regarding the free rider problem, altruism, and even the formation of multi-cellular or colony organisms from single cell members. The difference, is that humans are supposedly rational enough to foresee impending allele collapse and prevent it to preserve a more diverse genetic set so the species can be more survivable.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Also, I've never seen a commercial for Manolos.
    You're unlikely to see commercials for luxury items on television. Television is too mass-market, ie. full of poor people watching, to be effective. Luxury goods tend to be advertised in fashion magazines or in product placement such as "Sex in the City". Easier to focus in on the person you want to target and avoid the unwashed masses.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It's too easy. Women seek divorce between 2 and 4 times more often than men (it varies year to year).
    There's a damn good reason I'm picky.

MBTI
    INFJ

It's too easy, and the result is the family structure our species evolved to succeed has been all but tossed aside. Women seek divorce between 2 and 4 times more often than men (it varies year to year).
    I think focusing on the male / female dynamic of marriage / divorce misses the larger cultural issue of community fragmentation / personal isolation that has arisen due to tenuous community bonds. We are organisms that evolved in a small extended-family bands living in an impersonal, socially-disconnected context that is foreign to our evolutionary context.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Freedom without responsibility.

What do you think should be required before a divorce is obtained, and why? What would be the consequences (negative and positive) of those additional requirements?

Why did you mention that women seek divorce more often? What do you think that means?

edit: sorry I didn't reply to your "freedom without responsibility", but it was so very vague that I still have absolutely no idea what specific issue you're referring to. In the context of the thread....uhhh, still not sure.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I am not sure if it was her title or yours, but "manufacturing victimhood, marginalizing violence" doesn't seem quite accurate. Perhaps just "marginalizing violence" is enough.
    Agreed.

There's also something else I don't understand. If, as the author quite accurately points out, the active/passive schema is something that is an arbitrary cultural hangover that keeps getting reproduced, then why does she also seem to suggest that it's primarily the fault of some nebulous idea of "feminism?" This just makes me think that she is very much unfamiliar with feminist scholarship, which has from the very beginning been loudly pointing out the damaging effects of binaries such as the one identified by the author of this article (and not just the effects on women.) I think that may well be one of the things that most feminists agree upon, actually.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Agreed.

There's also something else I don't understand. If, as the author quite accurately points out, the active/passive schema is something that is an arbitrary cultural hangover that keeps getting reproduced, then why does she also seem to suggest that it's primarily the fault of some nebulous idea of "feminism?" This just makes me think that she is very much unfamiliar with feminist scholarship, which has from the very beginning been loudly pointing out the damaging effects of binaries such as the one identified by the author of this article (and not just the effects on women.) I think that may well be one of the things that most feminists agree upon, actually.
    What does feminism mean to you?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

What do you think should be required before a divorce is obtained, and why? What would be the consequences (negative and positive) of those additional requirements?
    It should be mutual consent or one person should have to show fault. As for the consequences, it would force those who are already married to put more effort toward salvaging the relationship before they break it off. It would also force people considering marriage to take it more seriously. Right now, the only difference between marriage and dating is that the woman can legally take a bunch of the man's wealth when a marriage is over (whether it's needed or not). FYI, no-fault marriage has been the law of the land in every US state since 1985 (California was the first state to implement it, in 1970).

Why did you mention that women seek divorce more often? What do you think that means?
    Women are heavily favored in divorce settlements, both in financial and custody terms. Men are often "guilty until proven innocent" in divorce court.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."