User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Nagasaki and Hiroshima

How do you feel about the bombing of those two cities?

I've just gotten done reading a book detailing some first hand accounts, it was an interesting read.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

One positive outcome: these events showed the world unequivocally the destructive consequences of employing nuclear weapons. Sooner or later, someone was bound to use one. Perhaps better that it was these early ones than the bombs we have now. This knowledge has probably served to deter further use, at least so far.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    One positive outcome: these events showed the world unequivocally the destructive consequences of employing nuclear weapons. Sooner or later, someone was bound to use one. Perhaps better that it was these early ones than the bombs we have now. This knowledge has probably served to deter further use, at least so far.
    Yes, and I've seen some historical debate about whether the bombs saved lives ultimately, compared to what would have happened if the war had continue and Japan hadn't pulled out.

However, speaking totally from the perspective of Japanese civilians, after seeing numerous pictures and reading authentic narrative accounts of people's experiences on that day and the kind of damage the city and people took.... just horrifically devastating, to the point of leaving me feeling ill to my stomach. "Interesting" doesn't even come close.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yes, and I've seen some historical debate about whether the bombs saved lives ultimately, compared to what would have happened if the war had continue and Japan hadn't pulled out.

However, speaking totally from the perspective of Japanese civilians, after seeing numerous pictures and reading authentic narrative accounts of people's experiences on that day and the kind of damage the city and people took.... just horrifically devastating, to the point of leaving me feeling ill to my stomach. "Interesting" doesn't even come close.

So, your official stance on the subject? Say you had to give the order to either use the bomb or invade sometime today.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So, your official stance on the subject? Say you had to give the order to either use the bomb or invade sometime today.
    I don't know what I would do.

Remember the guy in Saving Private Ryan? The journalist?

Some of us are suited for war and/or for commanding people to their deaths. I'm not one of those people.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I don't know what I would do.

Remember the guy in Saving Private Ryan? The journalist?

Some of us are suited for war and/or for commanding people to their deaths. I'm not one of those people.

Interesting.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I know the Japanese participated in monstreous acts before the bombings, with most notably the Nanking massacre. But I find that the Japanese are now one of the most evolved societies on the face of the earth.

The fall of the Empire of Japan, was the birth of a great nation.

Ofcourse, that's 20-20 hindsight. I truely think the bombings were by all means horrific acts and great wrong-doings. But I can't deny we're better of now. I'm just saddened that this is what it took to get us there.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    STUF

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I know the Japanese participated in monstreous acts before the bombings, with most notably the Nanking massacre. But I find that the Japanese are now one of the most evolved societies on the face of the earth.

The fall of the Empire of Japan, was the birth of a great nation.

Ofcourse, that's 20-20 hindsight. I truely think the bombings were by all means horrific acts and great wrong-doings. But I can't deny we're better of now. I'm just saddened that this is what it took to get us there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731
    Whoops.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. I was talking about Japan post-bombings. And I also did say they were an horrible bunch before.

But should that be reason to justify doing equally as horrible things to civilians by dropping bombs on them?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Although the fact that USA granted officials of Unit 731 immunity from prosucution provided they were to share their results makes you wonder.