User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I'm not sure what your point is. I was talking about Japan post-bombings. And I also did say they were an horrible bunch before.

But should that be reason to justify doing equally as horrible things to civilians by dropping bombs on them?
    That wasn't the justification; the purpose was to prevent the greater horror of a mainland invasion. Not that we, as a nation, were very concerned about Japanese civilians after years of propoganda, I'm just saying there was far more than mere vengeance at play.

A better example of a terrible act of vengeance leading to disturbingly positive results was the ethnic cleansing of 10 million Germans from Eastern Europe.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    So, your official stance on the subject? Say you had to give the order to either use the bomb or invade sometime today.
    Knowing what I know now, I would not use a nuclear bomb. Knowing what people knew before the first one was used, however, there is a good chance I would. When I mention lives saved, it is not the lives on both sides that would have been lost had WWII in the Pacific been concluded by conventional means. I don't know if the Japanese came out ahead by that count, though we surely did. I refer to the lives that would have been lost elsewhere, in some other conflict where a later first use of nuclear weapons might have been far more destructive. At great cost to the Japanese, we now have that evidence.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    How do you feel about the bombing of those two cities?
    Pretty OK with it.

MBTI
    INTP

There seems to be some confusion as to what I was talking about, so I'll post this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsi...r_World_War_II

The holocaust, to put it mildly, was an atrocity that was one of the motivations behind this series of vengeful actions.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

For those people who think fat man and little boy were bad, look up the fire bombing of Dresden.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Well, humans just suck I guess.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    For those people who think fat man and little boy were bad, look up the fire bombing of Dresden.
    I'm thinking more in terms of 'necessary evil' than 'bad', at least as far as consequentalism is concerned. I would probably okay the bombing (whether I know what I know now, or what they knew then), but my 'soul' would be screaming and I would end up a broken man for the rest of my life.

One could also look to the firebombing of other Japanese cities over the course of the war, to put things in perspective and as an example of what was both ended and prevented by Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    Some infections just have to be cut out.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

MBTI
    IxTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Knowing what I know now, I would not use a nuclear bomb. Knowing what people knew before the first one was used, however, there is a good chance I would. When I mention lives saved, it is not the lives on both sides that would have been lost had WWII in the Pacific been concluded by conventional means. I don't know if the Japanese came out ahead by that count, though we surely did. I refer to the lives that would have been lost elsewhere, in some other conflict where a later first use of nuclear weapons might have been far more destructive. At great cost to the Japanese, we now have that evidence.
    Hundreds if not thousands of Japanese towns and cities would have been lost during the inevitable invasion of Japan. Japan itself would have been obliterated. All it cost to get around this was two of our bombs and two of their cities.
    "Everyone has a plan till they get punched in the mouth." Mike Tyson
    “Culture?” says Paul McCartney. “This isn't culture. It's just a good laugh.”

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I find that the Japanese are now one of the most evolved societies on the face of the earth.

The fall of the Empire of Japan, was the birth of a great nation.
    The debt of Japan is now an unimaginable 200% of Gross Domestic Product.

And on top of this Japan is failing to reproduce itself due to drastically falling birth rates.

And even though the Japanese population is shrinking, but still remain a first world country, Japan is determined to maintain its racial purity by refusing to let immigrants into Japan and by refusing to take refugees.

And although Germany had thoroughly and bravely admitted, repented and paid compensation for war crimes, Japan has failed to do the same.