User Tag List

12 Last

Default Entrenreneurship - Which Style Do you Endorse?

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I don't get it.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't get the first one, but the second and third are too narrowsighted. Especially the last one. Imagine no tax on fossil fuels. Well, we wouldn't be driving electric cars now for one, who would spend million in research in development of new engines if the fossil fuel ones are cheap as hell? Not to mention environmental consequences and more instability in the middle east.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's good, if the intps in the center of economic thought recognize the disparity in 2 generations or so their ideas will trickle out
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

I endorse the Facebook and Google kind.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Oh. The pictures are meant as contrasts.

In the first poster, we have on the left, a bunch of companies involved in crowd sourcing, many in social entrepreneurship. On the right, we have a scene from Goodfellas. Both are examples of shuffling resources for profit, but one does overall good, while the other is done to the detriment of society as a whole to profit the gangsters.

In the second poster, on one side, we have a data based report showing that start-ups are where most jobs are created. While on the right, are rich people representing corporate greed. When people say that business people are important for job growth, lets make sure we remember what type of business people.

In the third poster, we have, on one side, solar panels in a Chinese factory, and people in the US installing them on houses in an attempt to stay competitive, while on the other side, is the amount of money given to oil companies in tax breaks and direct spending by the government (kinda puts Solyndra in perspective). Both solar tech, and oil get government money. Which one is crony capitalism really?

Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

I'd like to say the phrase, "Small is Beautiful."

Which means, a corporation without a human face is not a good corporation at all. So, an entrepreneur that does not endorse that saying, I do not support. This applies to most corporations anyhow. This can apply to all three of these definitions. All of these corporations and start-ups (or most of them) are in for the money.

Most jobs are not created by the rich millionaires and billionaires, contrary to popular belief. Most jobs can be attributed to government creation or by regular people like you and me (though there is hardly any of that anymore.) The interstate highways that were created enlisted all types of people from many professions at HOME unlike jobs created by fracking/creating solar panels.

In both cases, the solar panel and the fracking are crony capitalism, 100 jobs or so is limited job creation that won't last forever.

Start-ups, if done in a certain manner > jobs created by millionaire + billionaire. I can name one such company that started in South-Cali and moved up north and East that is still willing to be privately owned. That is, In-N-Out has not done what most fast-food chains have done, franchising. You can say, they actually create more jobs for the benefit of the people than McDonalds and Burger King (as they are liable compared to these two companies.)

People complain about the hostile California environment, but In-N-Out has constantly disprove that notion that you cannot start a business in California and stay privately owned.

Small can be ugly too. Just not as damaging. A lot of the drug and gang related organized crime is pretty much a small business, and they move goods through using other ostensibly "legitimate" small businesses.

I don't think there is an easy way to characterize it. The closest I can come is: if the entrepreneurs are actually shifting society's resources from low yield to high yield uses (where yield is related to long term value to society) then I endorse it. If it does not, then I do not.

On a related note, check out : http://www.thestartupofyou.com/

Robot Fusion

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    I don't think there is an easy way to characterize it. The closest I can come is: if the entrepreneurs are actually shifting society's resources from low yield to high yield uses (where yield is related to long term value to society) then I endorse it. If it does not, then I do not.
    I think that's a very thought through view on this. But wether or not you want to endorse it will have little influence unless all consumers have the same understanding of the subject as you do. Business will go where money is to be found, so as long as the consumer buys, you will have no influence on the system.

And educating all these brainwashed consumers is one of the hardest things to do.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't get it.
    In a way I dont either but do you think that those sorts of soundbite posters stand in for serious discussion these days?

I do, it means that the unappealing or unpopular or simply dull realpolitik doesnt get a look in next to the creative, simplistic and snappy pop-ideologies.